University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
in Waterloo, I was paying around $600, I lived at 21 Columbia, it was at king and columbia, lots of food places nearby at walking distance, timmies, 24/7 mcd, to name a couple, however I am not sure if living there will work due to 20mins bus ride to Pharmacy School, and the fact that classes start early in the morning. As for Kitchener I heard about rental buildings being made such as the 1 Victoria, but have not personally seen them. Depending on what you want and how close to the school living is around $500/mo. I am going to be looking into more detail in Kitchener.

@daum11 the FSA was so unbalanced for me, spent 10mins on math, 20mins on essay and 1h on the article

Hey I'm living at 21 Columbia as well, it feels great when I saw someone who's 'close' to me can be my classmate!
 
Do you plan on living there in winter too? and commuting to the pharmacy building?

Yeah I was thinking to move to another building that's still on King/Columbia, because I don't know much about the housing in Kitchener.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I was thinking to move to another building that's still on King/Columbia, because I don't know much about the housing in Kitchener.
oh I like king and columbia area its very convenient, if I don't find something decent, will probably sublet there for winter, and then in summer sublet luxe since its cheaper 😀 but I really want to find something in kitchener, since early morning classes.
 
oh I like king and columbia area its very convenient, if I don't find something decent, will probably sublet there for winter, and then in summer sublet luxe since its cheaper 😀 but I really want to find something in kitchener, since early morning classes.

Yeah I heard Luxe is very good - since they have those 2 or 3 rooms/suite, less people in a suite means there is less messing around the common area =D I'm also concerning about early classes...I don't know if I could make it or not
 
are you relatively nearby or coming from far? What I plan on doing is just going to Kitchener next week and looking around for places to rent, I am mainly looking for, double bed and ensuite, rest of the features don't really matter to me. It would be nice if my parents get me a condo there tho 😀 😀 😀
I'll be moving from Ottawa, but I probably won't start looking for a place until late Fall, have to save as much rent money as I can before classes start!
 
I didn't get accepted to Waterloo 🙁 and it looks like I didn't get into UofT either...

I am feeling super discouraged right now and just don't know what to do...I've already been out of undergrad for a year, and working as a pharmacy assistant. I'm really passionate about pharmacy but cannot bear the thought of waiting another year to year and a half.

I'm just posting here to see if anyone knows if the Waterloo admissions office would disclose any information regarding rejected applicants if I contacted them about it? I'm guessing the answer is no, but just thought I would ask in
case anyone has tried.
 
I didn't get accepted to Waterloo 🙁 and it looks like I didn't get into UofT either...

I am feeling super discouraged right now and just don't know what to do...I've already been out of undergrad for a year, and working as a pharmacy assistant. I'm really passionate about pharmacy but cannot bear the thought of waiting another year to year and a half.

I'm just posting here to see if anyone knows if the Waterloo admissions office would disclose any information regarding rejected applicants if I contacted them about it? I'm guessing the answer is no, but just thought I would ask in
case anyone has tried.
You can try but based on their FAQs page, they don't usually disclose details regarding the results. But I would encourage you to ask Toronto by phone. That's what I did last time and they usually give you a hint why they didn't offer you admission.
 
I didn't get accepted to Waterloo 🙁 and it looks like I didn't get into UofT either...

I am feeling super discouraged right now and just don't know what to do...I've already been out of undergrad for a year, and working as a pharmacy assistant. I'm really passionate about pharmacy but cannot bear the thought of waiting another year to year and a half.

I'm just posting here to see if anyone knows if the Waterloo admissions office would disclose any information regarding rejected applicants if I contacted them about it? I'm guessing the answer is no, but just thought I would ask in
case anyone has tried.

First off don't feel discouraged! The fact that you got an interview means that your marks are high enough to get into pharmacy. I've been out of university for a while and I know it sucks not getting an offer. But keep getting experience and saying yes to every positive opportunity that comes your way. You'll be amazed at how much a year can help you grow as a person and add to your experience. I have friends starting pharmacy school in Queensland Australia if you're interested in giving that a go I can get you more information. You're sooo close to getting into pharmacy school! Just remember, life isn't a race and everyone takes different paths to reach their goals. 🙂
 
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone here knows how to demonstrate financial need? - I've just started looking into some financial aid for our expensive tuition. Thanks!
 
@daum11 the FSA was so unbalanced for me, spent 10mins on math, 20mins on essay and 1h on the article[/QUOTE]

ahahha and I thought I was the only one! I had the same exact time breakdown lol.
 
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone here knows how to demonstrate financial need? - I've just started looking into some financial aid for our expensive tuition. Thanks!
have you used osap before? I am just going to apply through there and see what I get, other than that will be using RBC student line of credit.
 
have you used osap before? I am just going to apply through there and see what I get, other than that will be using RBC student line of credit.
Not yet actually as I've been fortunate to get money from scholarships and Co-op jobs. I wanted to know about the definition of "financial need" so I'd know I'm eligible for OSAP. I was thinking of Scotia Bank (the one advertised by Waterloo) as well. Is RBC any better?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if UW gave out more than 120 invites? UofT gave ~270 for their 240 spots and was wondering if UW did the same. I've heard that the waitlist for UW is always cleared, and there is a fall application cycle for the upcoming winter so I guess its true?
 
Does anyone know if UW gave out more than 120 invites? UofT gave ~270 for their 240 spots and was wondering if UW did the same. I've heard that the waitlist for UW is always cleared, and there is a fall admission cycle for the upcoming winter so I guess its true?
as far as I know, they send out 120 invites, and some X number of wait lists, since not all 120 will choose UW, by june 24th, when the 120 who got original invites accept or reject, the remaining spots go to the waitlisted people. I am guessing based on previous years the # of people that reject the offer, thats how many are waitlisted on average. After that if more reject it, or theres people with conditional offers that do not end up meeting the requirements, those spots go to people who meet the requirements but are applying for the next year cycle.
 
Does anyone know if UW gave out more than 120 invites? UofT gave ~270 for their 240 spots and was wondering if UW did the same. I've heard that the waitlist for UW is always cleared, and there is a fall application cycle for the upcoming winter so I guess its true?

I know last fall (2014) they had an early application cycle for January 2015 admission, but I'd assume if you already previously applied for that admissions cycle you can't re-apply in the fall admissions cycle (I don't know for sure, but it just seems like that would make sense. I can't imagine they would give rejected people a second chance in one year).

But to answer your question, I'd assume before an additional round of applications is opened, all wait listed people would have been contacted for admission. That only seems right.
 
I actually called to ask them that today but couldn't get in touch with anyone. I have a bunch of other questions too but thought I would ask that too so I can compare it to other schools. A 98% an 91% are significantly different imo
 
I actually called to ask them that today but couldn't get in touch with anyone. I have a bunch of other questions too but thought I would ask that too so I can compare it to other schools. A 98% an 91% are significantly different imo

True but if more then 90% of students pass the exam, it's good enough to say that the education provided by the faculty is great. The 10% left is in my opinion a "normal variation"....
 
I actually called to ask them that today but couldn't get in touch with anyone. I have a bunch of other questions too but thought I would ask that too so I can compare it to other schools. A 98% an 91% are significantly different imo


Yes, I agree! Could you please post in this forum once you find out please 🙂 I will let you know as well if I find any information!
 
The last few years, everyone on the waitlist has gotten in. Good luck!

My stats:
average ~79%, completed BSc
lots of volunteering, but very little of it in health care
2 years of community pharmacy experience at time of application, LOR from one of my pharmacy managers
Hey, how did you know that everyone on the waitlist got in the last few years? Just curious (and hoping I get off the waitlist)

EDIT: And is anyone not going to take their UW?
 
@cbae Do you mean, what are they looking for from applicants who apply this fall for a January 2016 start? You will have the same requirements as for regular admissions, but you will need to send your application/AIF/LOR in by mid-October. That's assuming they get through the waitlist and have seats remaining in the fall...

(Or do you mean the CAP program?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I mean for those who apply this fall for Jan 2016.
So it's not necessarily that they're looking for much higher grades than regular admissions?
 
Nope! Same requirements. But they do say they strongly prefer applicants who are done ALL the prereqs before the start of the fall term.
 
@cbae They calculate the average of all university courses you've taken. It must be at least 75%. (If you have any questions about how to convert your university's grades into percentages, email admissions and they will be able to help.)
 
Has anyone here started their OSAP application? How do you apply as an independent student (not dependent on your parents)? and do you know if the aid estimator is usually a good estimate? Thanks!
 
Does anyone know when the upper year students are going to make the official facebook group?

And, anyone deciding between UBC or waterloo? lol
 
^I was, but decided Waterloo today

Since everyone else is asking questions...

Does anyone know if there is a down payment for Waterloo what you accept it? All other schools I applied to asked for it once accepted but I didn't see anything and wanna make sure I actually accepted the offer
 
Does anyone know when the upper year students are going to make the official facebook group?

And, anyone deciding between UBC or waterloo? lol
im guessing after 24th? just to make sure people in the group are actually going to attend loo pharm, not just other random people...
 
OMG is this true for OSAP? - you have to pay some interest even during the first 6 months after you graduate?
Paying Back Your Loan
  • For the first six months after you finish full-time studies, you don't have to make payments. However, interest will be charged on the Canada portion of your loan, while Ontario will pay interest on the Ontario portion
 
^I was, but decided Waterloo today

Since everyone else is asking questions...

Does anyone know if there is a down payment for Waterloo what you accept it? All other schools I applied to asked for it once accepted but I didn't see anything and wanna make sure I actually accepted the offer
I believe if we have to pay anything, it would show on Quest. Anyways, I'm excited to receive the official letter of Admission in the mail. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone interested in sharing a two bedroom condo in either Kaufman Lofts or One Victoria across the street from the Pharmacy school? Ads on kijiji are approx $1500 all inclusive so $750 each per month.
 
Anyone interested in sharing a two bedroom condo in either Kaufman Lofts or One Victoria across the street from the Pharmacy school? Ads on kijiji are approx $1500 all inclusive so $750 each per month.
does that include all the facilities?