University of Wisconsin vs University of Maryland - Baltimore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amazon8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted in both University of Wisconsin and University of Maryland - Baltimore. Which school should I go? I am out of state from both Wisconsin and Maryland. Please advice if you study in either school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances! :) They're both great schools! What Maryland campus were you accepted to? I'm from the area, so I know the UMD main campus is right in the city, so it can be kinda scary if you don't know your way around. I'm not really sure about their other campus though. How did you like Wisconsin?

I think their curriculums should be pretty similar, it probably comes down to what area you like best. Either way, you're going somewhere great!

Since both schools are great and unless you are actively seeking a career in federal pharmacy (e.g. NIH, FDA etc), professionally speaking, both will get you to whatever end you seek.

So there are two factors I recommend evaluating: city and region.

You will be living in this city for 4 years. Baltimore is a proper east coast city with all the major anenities. Madison is a quieter town with two amazing lakes and great outdoor life (but definitely a cold winter!). Personal preference there.

Many people tend to permanently settle in the region where they attend school. Mamy have a tendency to make friends, meet significant others, develop professional networks. If you think staying in the Midwest is a better option, go to UW. If you think you might prefer to stay on the east coast, choose UMB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since both schools are great and unless you are actively seeking a career in federal pharmacy (e.g. NIH, FDA etc), professionally speaking, both will get you to whatever end you seek.

So there are two factors I recommend evaluating: city and region.

You will be living in this city for 4 years. Baltimore is a proper east coast city with all the major anenities. Madison is a quieter town with two amazing lakes and great outdoor life (but definitely a cold winter!). Personal preference there.

Many people tend to permanently settle in the region where they attend school. Mamy have a tendency to make friends, meet significant others, develop professional networks. If you think staying in the Midwest is a better option, go to UW. If you think you might prefer to stay on the east coast, choose UMB.

Thanks.

Now that I gave you my unbiased view, I'll give you my pitch. Baltimore is very underrated. Folks connect Baltimore with The Wire. And yes, Baltimore does have a crime and drug problem no different than any other major city in America. But Baltimore has a great deal of charm.
  • Burgeoning food scene
  • Two major sports teams (Ravens, Orioles)
  • Great nightlife (mostly bars, like Madison)
  • Live music venues (including one on a pier in the harbor)
  • Social sports leagues (kickball, softball, bocce, etc)
  • Arts scene (in addition to many art museums, many performing arts venues - Hippodrome for national touring acts like Wicked and Book of Mormon, Center Stage for plays, Chesapeake Shakespeare Company, etc)
  • Quirky festivals like privateer day (yes, pirates) and the kinetic sculpture race
And more. And a 3 hour drive from Baltimore gets you to New York, Philadelphia, or Washington DC. A 3 hour ride from Madison gets you to Chicago and corn fields.

There is a reason that nearly 20% of Americans live on 2% of the landmass called the northeast corridor (Boston to DC).

And I didn't even mention the professional aspects. Down the street you have Hopkins. UMB curriculum has a Hopkins track, and you can become an intern there. It's Hopkins. 'Nuff said. And UMMC is no slouch either. It's got a very well recognized shock trauma unit.

Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for UW. I have spent time in Madison and really enjoyed the town. And I know folks from the town who truly love it. But there are so many more amenities, professionally and socially, which give Baltimore a huge edge.

Reactions: 1 user
there are so many more amenities, professionally and socially, which give Baltimore a huge edge.
2.gif

Now that I gave you my unbiased view, I'll give you my pitch. Baltimore is very underrated. Folks connect Baltimore with The Wire. And yes, Baltimore does have a crime and drug problem no different than any other major city in America. But Baltimore has a great deal of charm.
  • Burgeoning food scene
  • Two major sports teams (Ravens, Orioles)
  • Great nightlife (mostly bars, like Madison)
  • Live music venues (including one on a pier in the harbor)
  • Social sports leagues (kickball, softball, bocce, etc)
  • Arts scene (in addition to many art museums, many performing arts venues - Hippodrome for national touring acts like Wicked and Book of Mormon, Center Stage for plays, Chesapeake Shakespeare Company, etc)
  • Quirky festivals like privateer day (yes, pirates) and the kinetic sculpture race
And more. And a 3 hour drive from Baltimore gets you to New York, Philadelphia, or Washington DC. A 3 hour ride from Madison gets you to Chicago and corn fields.

There is a reason that nearly 20% of Americans live on 2% of the landmass called the northeast corridor (Boston to DC).

And I didn't even mention the professional aspects. Down the street you have Hopkins. UMB curriculum has a Hopkins track, and you can become an intern there. It's Hopkins. 'Nuff said. And UMMC is no slouch either. It's got a very well recognized shock trauma unit.

Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for UW. I have spent time in Madison and really enjoyed the town. And I know folks from the town who truly love it. But there are so many more amenities, professionally and socially, which give Baltimore a huge edge.

Thanks!