University Physics I/II or College Physics I/II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasprept88

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to take physics as a DPT pre-req but there are 2 options: College Physics or University Physics. Which is primarily recommended and accepted by DPT schools? Need to register for Spring semester classes.

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're referring to physics taken at a 4-year university compared to a community/junior college. If that's the case then it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you take a full year of trigonometry or calculus-based physics and do well in them. That being said, I have heard that some dpt programs do prefer the majority of pre-reqs be taken at a 4-year university. Most don't care, though. I've gotten into multiple "top" programs and I took all of my pre-reqs at a community college.

Thank you for the reply. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Is there a difference between University Physics and College Physics at the junior college level?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Is there a difference between University Physics and College Physics at the junior college level?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If these are two separate courses at the same junior college then one of them is trig based and one is calculus based. I would read the description to find out which is which. If you have not taken calculus then I would not recommend taking calculus based physics.

Honestly, whatever has the better chance for you to get an A. I have friends who took physics in a community college and they were fine. Just make sure you take general physics. Outside of general physics, it will just be difficult since that is normally for engineers.

Doesn't matter. Agreed with the post above: take the one that looks to be easier to get a good grade. You will also save money if you take it in community college. I took all my prereq in CC and no school cared.

I think it depends on the school. I took college physics and I have been fine for all but one school. That one school I applied to has a course equivalency page that did not show the college physics course at my school but it did show the university physics courses. So it's just something you'll have to research according to the schools you choose.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I took college physics w/ lab which is algebra based. University physics is calculus based. All of the schools I personally looked into accepted both so I took college physics I/II at a community college because I knew it would be much easier for me. I would double check if the program you plan on applying to accept both or only one.