Unlisted phone numbers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rory1215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A minor question for the 2004 grads and current residents...

If you're moving or changing phone numbers, do you plan on being listed in the phone book? Do most residents go unlisted? I've heard it's a good idea to be unlisted as a resident to avoid unwanted phone calls from patients, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

rory1215 said:
A minor question for the 2004 grads and current residents...

If you're moving or changing phone numbers, do you plan on being listed in the phone book? Do most residents go unlisted? I've heard it's a good idea to be unlisted as a resident to avoid unwanted phone calls from patients, etc.

Thanks for any input!
You can list under an alternate name for free. That's what I do. Either list a name you don't go by plus your last name, a nickname plus your last name, or a combination of your names (like your first name as your last name, middle initial as your first initial, etc.). That way you don't get charged for the unlisted number (why do they charge anyhow?), and if someone tries to look you up they can't find you. Your family would know in case they had to look you up sometime.

Another thing... you can choose to not publish your number in the phonebook for free, but if someone calls 4-1-1 or 555-1212, they can get your phone number. One is called unlisted, the other non-published.

It's fun though getting telemarketer calls for your fake name. You know who sold you out.

Hi

I am a resident and my program recommended *not* having my number public. I've heard from older residents stories about unwanted calls and stuff. All these drug seekers out there and stuff (I've had my problems with one of those). Better not be that easy to find...

lf

the thing is though, everyone has caller id so if you ever return your pages from home, your cell, etc, you're owned anyway.

southerndoc, so you can essentially pick any first/middle name as long as you keep your real last name? stinks if someone has an unusal last name

St. James said:
the thing is though, everyone has caller id so if you ever return your pages from home, your cell, etc, you're owned anyway.
St. James said:
At least in North Carolina, you can dial *67 before the number you dial, and it will block the number on caller ID. It's free of charge with Verizon

I planned on using just my cell phone for now - it would have to be changed to a local number so that the hospital could still get a hold of me. Avoids the cost of a regular phone plus the phone listing hassle. I plan on getting hi-speed internet at home, so I really wouldn't have any use for a regular phone line.

Did anyone else go this route? Do you see any potential downsides to this?

St. James said:

southerndoc, so you can essentially pick any first/middle name as long as you keep your real last name? stinks if someone has an unusal last name
No, you can list it however you please.

If your name is Jonathan Andrew Doe, you might list it as J Andrew, or Andrew Jonathan, etc.

Fabio said:
I planned on using just my cell phone for now - it would have to be changed to a local number so that the hospital could still get a hold of me. Avoids the cost of a regular phone plus the phone listing hassle. I plan on getting hi-speed internet at home, so I really wouldn't have any use for a regular phone line.

Did anyone else go this route? Do you see any potential downsides to this?

i haven't had a land line for about 3 yrs and haven't regretted it. i think it's the way to go if you're in an area that has good service and you've got a good phone.

BUT it's really painful if you lose the phone or it's damaged when you don't have another phone. *having a phone list separate from your phone is key*. when the display on my old cell went out, I was so SOL. didn't even have my folks or my close friends' numbers in my head.

Hey, it doesn't matter anyways. Any patient can get ahold of any resident they want, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood page operator. You are required by contract to give your program contact information, which is used to get ahold of you for paging and important calls (i.e., schedule changes). So a patient can call and ask for "Dr. X" to be paged or even connected to their home phone (which is whatever number you give your program). And don't bother complaining to the operator; they'll give you the business and laugh because they know you can't do jack about it.

DrMom said:
But you don't want them calling your home phone or cell.

You guys have reminded me that I really want mine to go unlisted ASAP.
"Infone, how may I help you?"

"Yea, I'm trying to find a number."

"What city?"

"Um, somewhere in Oklahoma."

"Great, I can help you with that. What listing?"

"Um, Doctor Mom."

"Oooh, I hear she's pretty famous on the internet. Let's see here... oh yes, here you go."

DrMom, I'll be calling you at 3 am tonight. :D