UNLV cheaper than UCLA for CA residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I was just obsessing over dental school as most of us predents. According to my calculations, UNLV is going to be cheaper than UCLA for CA residents starting next year. I wanted to share this info and get some feedback. Maybe I am missing something.

All numbers EXCLUDE cost-of-living. I beleive external costs are less at UNLV too, but thats another story.

UCLA:

UCLA's tuition and fees are going to increase 40%. This is because our good friend and governor Arnold has repealed the state car tax. To make up for the lost revenue, he is increasing costs for state professional programs.

These figures are directly from the UCLA website, which can be found at http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/Admissions/Financial.html

1 Yr: $ 32,352
2nd Sum: $ 1,705
2 Yr: $ 22,445
3rd Sum: $ 1,705
3rd Yr: $ 17,551
4th Sum: $ 1,705
4th Yr: $ 18,076

For a grand total of: $ 95,539

Now add 40% and your looking at: $133,754

UNLV:

In Nevada, one can establish state residency after the 1st year. So I will reflect this in my calculations here.

These numbers are directly from the UNLV website found at: http://www.unlv.edu/dentalschool/admissions_tuition.html

1 Yr: $ 49,200 (out of state)
2 Yr: $ 29,000
3 Yr: $ 29,000
4 Yr: $ 19,430

The forth year at UNLV is only 2 semesters instead of 3. I have calculated the tuition at 67% of the full year tuition.

Total: $126,630

In the past the $29,000 tuition has covered everything including instruments, books, and laptop. However, I have heard that UNLV will charge 2,500 for the laptop starting this year.

Grand Total for UNLV: $ 129,139

Grand Total for UCLA: $133,754

I am talking strictly numbers here, I am NOT considering other intangibles like reputation, board scores, etc.

Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, UNLV can be even cheaper, if you get residency your first year (obviously). And it is SO SIMPLE. As long as you can get any type of job with UNLV before school starts, then that will make you a resident. So leave for school a little early, work with the ground crew, janitorial, cafeteria, etc. There you go, you're a resident. Your tuition/fees work out to be approximately 108k. UNLV HERE I COME!!!

Note: Living is cheaper in LV than LA. Unless, of course, you want to commute....2 hours.....both ways.

I think UCLA amount covers everything (all book/supplies, board..)
The UNLV tuition does not include books/supplies, or laptop. UNLV hasn't updated their website. Below is the info I got at my UNLV interview on Feb 6:

Year 1:
NV Out-of-State
Tuition/Fee $30,650 $53,150
Books/supplies $ 6,400 $ 6,400
Room $ 5,890 $ 5,890
Board $ 4,490 $ 4,490
Personal $ 2,400 $ 2,400
Transportation $ 2,070 $ 2,070
Loan Fees $ 680 $ 680
Total $52,580 $75,780
Plus $2,500 laptop. Yr4 tuition is about $20,000. I was told that it will cost an in-state almost $200,000. Anyway, I'd love to hear from them.
Shawnone and init4, how did they inform you of your acceptance? Did they call, mail, or email you?

Members don't see this ad :)
tropicalwind,

How did you get 6,400 for Books/supplies? I just realized in the interview papers i got on Jan 16 is says 3,900

Yes, it says $6,400 in my interview paper. Did you have a chance to take a look at their main-campus library? It's really nice.

Well with all due respect. I dont think there is a nicer campus than UCLA in the west coast. The multiple libraries at UCLA are famous, backdrop for many movies. If I had a choice bet being a bruin and a rebel. I'd choose the bruin. I can't recall anything on screen more popular than Hedrick Hall.

No doubt UCLA is awesome. But, they dont give much love to anybody who doesnt have 22AA and 3.8+ GPA

Shawn, you are a cali resident. All you need is an awesome DAT score. I highly doubt you need a 3.8+ to get into their dental school, or most dental schools for that matter.

a classmate of mine got into UCLA dental this year with a 3.5 and a 20 on the DAT. Its not as hard as you think.

Abu,

I have about the same stats as above, but no love :(

I just PM'ed you

ya, i dont ahve a 3.8 GPA
and still got accepted