UNLV Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kosal7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about UNLV medical school since it is a new school? I am thinking of applying this cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about UNLV medical school since it is a new school? I am thinking of applying this cycle...
Are you from Nevada? If not, are you from a neighboring state? If not, don't bother.

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed and asked if they took people from out of state. They said only with strong ties to Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That says to me, NV residents, or people who grew up there. Grandma and Grandpa living in Las Vegas are not ties.
There are a LOT of people in both California and Hawaii that have a very significant number of relatives living in Nevada (specifically in Las Vegas), and many have parents with homes in both states. Plus Nevada (again Las Vegas specifically) has always had a very transient population...here for a few years and then move back to where they are from or on to the next new place that looks appealing. So there are a lot of ex-residents out there in residing in other states. It's going to be interesting to see just how strict or lenient UNLV is on admitting these folks.

(source, I live in Vegas and am fairly well acquainted with the make-up of our local residents)

Reactions: 1 user
I expect that UNLV will be getting a lot of donations then

There are a LOT of people in both California and Hawaii that have a very significant number of relatives living in Nevada (specifically in Las Vegas), and many have parents with homes in both states. Plus Nevada (again Las Vegas specifically) has always had a very transient population...here for a few years and then move back to where they are from or on to the next new place that looks appealing. So there are a lot of ex-residents out there in residing in other states. It's going to be interesting to see just how strict or lenient UNLV is on admitting these folks.

(source, I live in Vegas and am fairly well acquainted with the make-up of our local residents)

Reactions: 2 users
They have preliminary accreditation at the moment.
And...instead of blocking their students from receiving federal loans like CNU...they gave FREE tuition to their entire first class!

Reactions: 6 users
That says to me, NV residents, or people who grew up there. Grandma and Grandpa living in Las Vegas are not ties.
From what I've heard they are very generous in determining what constitutes strong ties.

Actually per their website:
"Nevada Residents
Each student will be classified as either a Nevada resident or a non-resident for the purposes of the admissions. Applicants must satisfy one or more criteria listed below:

• Currently enrolled, or a graduate of a university or college in Nevada
  • Graduate of a Nevada high school, public, charter or private
  • Born in Nevada
  • Lived in Nevada previously, before or after the age of 18, for at least 12 months
  • Primary family* members currently reside full-time in Nevada
  • Dependent of a member of the active-duty military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Current or former member of the military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Physically lived in Nevada for 12 months prior to matriculation date (planned start date for UNLV School of Medicine’s charter class is July 17, 2017)
  • Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (green card holders).
*Primary family includes mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or siblings, spouse/partner."

From what I've heard they are very generous in determining what constitutes strong ties.

Generous indeed.

Actually per their website:
"Nevada Residents
Each student will be classified as either a Nevada resident or a non-resident for the purposes of the admissions. Applicants must satisfy one or more criteria listed below:

• Currently enrolled, or a graduate of a university or college in Nevada
  • Graduate of a Nevada high school, public, charter or private
  • Born in Nevada
  • Lived in Nevada previously, before or after the age of 18, for at least 12 months
  • Primary family* members currently reside full-time in Nevada
  • Dependent of a member of the active-duty military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Current or former member of the military who claims Nevada as their primary state of residence
  • Physically lived in Nevada for 12 months prior to matriculation date (planned start date for UNLV School of Medicine’s charter class is July 17, 2017)
  • Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (green card holders).
*Primary family includes mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or siblings, spouse/partner."

Generous indeed.
Indeed!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love hearing about new schools opening up :) It makes me feel good about the sheer volume of people who wanna go to medical school :)

So if I am a U.S. citizen from CA with a cousin in LV that's not good enough then right, just because I don't want to throw ~200 away on the app if they won't consider me. :(

So if I am a U.S. citizen from CA with a cousin in LV that's not good enough then right, just because I don't want to throw ~200 away on the app if they won't consider me. :(
Primary family includes mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or siblings, spouse/partner."

I think it's self-explanatory.

The main mission statement for UNLV clearly states that they want to train doctors who will stay in Nevada to practice.
The only out of state applicants they will consider are residents of adjacent states. For the geographically challenged, this includes Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and California.

Last edited:
Hey! I'll be an incoming MS1 here starting next Monday. Feel free to message me with any questions you have. There's also a lot of good info in the 2016-2017 school specific thread

From a recent newsletter:

Our charter class consists of students who are from Nevada or who have strong connections to Nevada
  • 51 students are Nevada residents
  • 9 students are non-residents but have close ties to NV (they previously lived here, attended school here, or have parents or grandparents living here).
  • 29 students are graduates from Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institutions:
    • 17 students graduated from UNLV
    • 11 students graduated from UNR
    • 1 student graduated from Nevada State College
The admissions committee has been very transparent about who they consider as meeting the mission statement with regards to residency

From a recent newsletter:

Our charter class consists of students who are from Nevada or who have strong connections to Nevada
  • 51 students are Nevada residents
  • 9 students are non-residents but have close ties to NV (they previously lived here, attended school here, or have parents or grandparents living here).
  • 29 students are graduates from Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institutions:
    • 17 students graduated from UNLV
    • 11 students graduated from UNR
    • 1 student graduated from Nevada State College
The admissions committee has been very transparent about who they consider as meeting the mission statement with regards to residency
Out of curiosity, which group(s) do you belong to?

I'll bet ten to twenty years ago some pre-law student said that about all the new law schools opening too!
But....isn't law school easier to get into than med school? So what I said does make sense, more schools open= more kids get in somewhere, or do more people just apply and it cancels out?
Please explain.

But....isn't law school easier to get into than med school? So what I said does make sense, more schools open= more kids get in somewhere, or do more people just apply and it cancels out?
Please explain.
think outside the box

Reactions: 3 users
Please explain.

Increased supply without an increase demand = decreased salaries. It's a massive concern right now in vet med, so I thought I would throw in what our main concern is. It might be different for human med, though.

Increased supply without an increase demand = decreased salaries. It's a massive concern right now in vet med, so I thought I would throw in what our main concern is. It might be different for human med, though.
So that's why vets make so little!
Learn something new everyday ( I understand literally nothing about economics but I can science so it's okay.)

So that's why vets make so little!
Learn something new everyday ( I understand literally nothing about economics but I can science so it's okay.)

It's a little more in-depth than that. But it's something the vast majority of veterinarians and students are not keen on.

I'll bet ten to twenty years ago some pre-law student said that about all the new law schools opening too!
What do you think will happen with there are more US MD grads than available residency slots? It's going to be a **** show.

What do you think will happen with there are more US MD grads than available residency slots? It's going to be a **** show.
More residency slots would have to be made?

More residency slots would have to be made?
As far as I'm aware, a large portion of residency slots are subsidized by medicare. That's unlikely to be significantly expanded with politics the way they are, so it's unlikely that residency slots will expand in proportion to the MD graduate population.

I am hoping that the AOA and AMA are smarter than the ABA. Ditto Congress.

IF we end up with a glut of grads that are unable to find residencies, I do know that LCME and COCA have more teeth than the ABA, and they will sanction schools that can't find jobs for their grads. This could eventually lead to schools having to cut their class sizes....and in the worst case scenario, actually close. I could see the branch campuses taking the first hit...talking to you, LECOM, VCOM, Touro.

BTW, I suspect that the grads most likely to have trouble getting jobs will be those with red flags, such as Boards failures, or academic LOAs (and I don't mean taking a year off to do research, either).

EDIT: and here's one more confounder: the upcoming retirement of the Baby Boom generation of doctors. Could we have an actual doctor shortage AND MD/DO grads not being able to find a residency????

I am hoping that the AOA and AMA are smarter than the ABA. Ditto Congress.

IF we end up with a glut of grads that are unable to find residencies, I do know that LCME and COCA have more teeth than the ABA, and they will sanction schools that can't find jobs for their grads. This could eventually lead to schools having to cut their class sizes....and in the worst case scenario, actually close. I could see the branch campuses taking the first hit...talking to you, LECOM, VCOM, Touro.

BTW, I suspect that the grads most likely to have trouble getting jobs will be those with red flags, such as Boards failures, or academic LOAs (and I don't mean taking a year off to do research, either).
What do you think will happen to well qualified international students? Do you think they will be prioritized above intranational grads with red flags?

EDIT: and here's one more confounder: the upcoming retirement of the Baby Boom generation of doctors. Could we have an actual doctor shortage AND MD/DO grads not being able to find a residency????
That's the definition of irony if I've ever seen it. I would hate to see something like that happen, but with political entropy as it is, it seems almost inevitable.

Haven't a clue.
What do you think will happen to well qualified international students? Do you think they will be prioritized above intranational grads with red flags?

That's the definition of irony if I've ever seen it. I would hate to see something like that happen, but with political entropy as it is, it seems almost inevitable.

I've thought about that and it is the stuff nightmares are made of. Hopefully [well] before it happens, Congress can allocate more funding.

That's what mid-levels are for. I tend to be in the minority on this but I for one welcome the rise of the PA/NP.

@redsox93 just out of curiosity, is UMC your primary hospital? Are there options to do rotations in Northern NV - Reno, Tahoe, etc?

That's what mid-levels are for. I tend to be in the minority on this but I for one welcome the rise of the PA/NP.

@redsox93 just out of curiosity, is UMC your primary hospital? Are there options to do rotations in Northern NV - Reno, Tahoe, etc?
Yes, UMC will be our primary hospital. I believe all the rotations at the Reno hospitals will be reserved for UNR Med students

but I'm so determined to enter medical school in UNLV, any suggestions?

You should recognize that you have an extremely small chance of going to this school. Most states do not allow people who live their for education purposes (ie a post bac) to qualify for state residency status.

This thread is a year old...I think OP made her decision by now...

What about if someone moves out there for a gap year job? A close friend is a resident of Florida and moved out to Las Vegas for his gap year and is currently applying (recently graduated)? Would she still have a chance at admission?