UNLV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kokomee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please explain to me why anyone would want to attend UNLV?
They cater to minority and female applicants. The faculty are leaving every month. The people heading up the admissions department are clueless. Dr Ancajas the Director of Admissions for instance is never in the office. Im a female and am seriously thinking of going to another school. The fact they lost their ortho program for upwards of two years should be a definite redflag. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I love it here. Absolutely no complaints. Then again, I don't go to UNLV.

If you don't think the dean's office is going to make your experience the best it can be then go somewhere else if you have the option. Bad deans can really make life hard for professors and students alike.

Everybody I know that attends there is happy with the school, and says the staff/faculty is really helpful. Only complaint I have ever heard about location and the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed there, I was quite impressed with the school. The building is very new, the tech is top, each student gets their own chair, they have good clinical emphasis and the students seem to really like and enjoy being there. The down side of the school is, it's a new school and they might not be as experienced as other schools which have been a around for very long, their paperless system might not be for everyone. There is one thing I feel kinda negative about the school, which is the attitude they had when i called to ask questions. My feeling was they just wanted me to shut up and never call back. But overall, UNLV is a good school and I'll be happy to attend if i haven't gotten into my first choice.

Everybody I know that attends there is happy with the school, and says the staff/faculty is really helpful. Only complaint I have ever heard about location and the city.

What complaints have you heard about the location and city?

What complaints have you heard about the location and city?

The main complaint about the city is that it is just a sleezy place. Fun to visit, not to live sort of deal. I hear Henderson is really nice though, so that isn't too big of a deal. Other problems I've heard is constant harassment from folks begging for your change, and a not-so-safe area of town.

What I know about UNLV is that their admissions people are very rude. Also it is very highly competitive because of its close proximity to Utah and it being in the west. If I was to choose a school based upon technology and building I would choose UNLV. Also the location immediately surrounding UNLV is bad, but it only takes ten minutes to get to a nice neighborhood in henderson or west LV. Plus lake Mead is about twenty minutes outside of LV and is tons of fun. Where you live is what you make of it. Plus it is only four hours to San Diego if you want a weekend trip.

If I were you I would talk to graduates from the program to see how they liked their experience. Also they can tell you how their skills compare with their collegues.

First of all, in reply to the first post, I'm pretty sure we don't have faculty leaving every month. Our faculty is great, and they care about the students. We have an amazing facility. There is a lot of opportunities to progress and become a good clinician. I think it very unprofessional of you to say that the admissions people are clueless. Do you even understand how much time and energy is spent going through around 3000 applicants each year? They start going through them in May and don't end it until March or so. Then they get ready to have the new class come in and get ready for a new application cycle. So if it seems like they don't have a lot of time to be on the phone, they probably don't. Use your email, they will always answer their email. It might not be on your time frame but it will get done. Also, they didn't "lose" their ortho program. We just had an amazing building built for specialties and yes the ortho program is being revamped but it WILL start up again. IF you already have so many things to complain about then the school probably isn't for you. Don't come and go to a school that you're going to be happy with and that is going to be perfect. I challenge you to find a "perfect" school. Here is my last point on this long post, the majority of the students here will tell you that they enjoy it here. Sure there are some that don't like it but you can't always please everyone.
Good luck with your decision choosing a school. Pick one that will be good for you, don't go to a school where you'll be miserable.

OP, figure out what makes every school tick. Some its the money that is donated, some it's research, some the ability to bring dentists into the state (UNLV) and some it's minority. You're on the wrong side of the stick to give reasons why not to go to any school, especially UNLV. There minority/female numbers aren't shockingly different than the other D-schools unless you want to go to a school that has little (OR NONE regarding some minorities!!!!!) of those types of students. I loved the school building. Faculty is a fluid situation with any school but from what I gathered the full-time are there and good enough (teachers obviously suck sometimes). Who gives a flying 2 craps about the area around the school and the sleazy strip....live somewhere nice (like Henderson) and commute to the school like every single student there does. You'll see OP, even your #1 school has issues. Lucky for me UNLV was my #1 even with all the "bad issues".

just so you know, I would say the majority of students live somewhere North of the school. There are a lot that live in Henderson but the majority live in Summerlin and up North. There are so many nice areas to live in. When you come down to look for housing, I would suggest looking at several different locations in the city. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be glad to answer them.

Ive decided to not attend UNLV so a spot will be opening soon.
Everything I hear about this school scares me death. I feel it will money down the drain. Good luck

Good luck. OBVIOUSLY the school wasn't your first choice. Don't talk about the issues about the school being the determining factor for why you choose elsewhere. You'll see, hopefully, that every school should scare you to death about money down the drain.

Please explain to me why anyone would want to attend UNLV?
They cater to minority and female applicants. The faculty are leaving every month. The people heading up the admissions department are clueless. Dr Ancajas the Director of Admissions for instance is never in the office. Im a female and am seriously thinking of going to another school. The fact they lost their ortho program for upwards of two years should be a definite redflag. What do you guys think?

Wow...what's interesting is that I'm a female here, and they definitely don't cater to us! They are getting better and the incoming class is supposedly 50/50 male to female ratio but all the other classes here right now are very low in females and minorities.

i attend UNLV. Im not going to say anything in detail, all i say is MAKE SURE TO RESEARCH THE SCHOOL FULLY before you come here. or you will be as unhappy as i am here!
it may fit you... it may not. but you have to go and talk to some students and see what they say about the "truth" of what goes on here and then you can decide if its for you or not.
some schools do anything to keep you and help you out, some could care less!!! and maybe even try to get rid of you! so my best advice... do your research or you will be sorry!
ask students about .. the staff, teachers; are they approachable? can you ask questions in class and not be insulted? ask about... attendance, rules changing, failing classes, and the breaks.
thats all i have to say.

To answer the student above who attends UNLV.
I interviewed at UNLV, the students response to , "Why they chose UNLV" was, It's the only school I got in to. I only asked a couple of students so it is not everyone who goes there, but I gathered most students who had a choice went somewhere else.
Also my wife and I made a trip out of it, she came to the school during my interview to wait for me so we could around the city after the interview, and they kicked her out of the school! They said it is for students and patients only (behind the security doors), and she could not study there( she was studying in a room for school). She explained she was from out of town and waiting for me to interview they said it does not matter and made her wait in the waiting room, which is full of people. It is like a waiting room at a medicaid office, or food stamp line something very similar. Not a ideal place to study or hang out at waiting for a 4 hr interview.The people were extremely rude to her.
I also talked to the staff a little and they were also not very kind, even when I called for a simple question. It is there job to answer the phone and be nice, if it is too much for the staff they should find a individual who can handle a big job and kindness at the same time. The other schools I have called are all super nice when I ask questions.
The only perk I noticed was learning some Spanish for the patients, and the new equipment, other than that I did not find much more about the school.