UNLV students accused of forgery to receive degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1predent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNLV students accused of forgery to receive degrees

[FONT=verdana, arial]By K.C. HOWARD
©2006 REVIEW-JOURNAL
[FONT=verdana, arial]EXTRACTED FROM:.
[FONT=verdana, arial]http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Jun-13-Tue-2006/news/7880595.html.
[FONT=verdana, arial]
.The 10 UNLV dental school students who are alleged to have forged faculty signatures on university documents, including patient records, were each ordered to perform 1,500 hours of community service and will receive their degrees, higher education sources said.

The certification of the students was criticized by some members of the local dental community, who said the students, part of the first graduating class of dentists, committed serious professional and ethical violations and are unfit to practice.

Chancellor Jim Rogers said reports that students were caught using the computer password belonging to a part-time faculty member to sign off on patient treatment plans, diagnoses and other work concerned him.
"If you cheat on something little, you sure as hell will cheat on something big. I'm concerned about that sort of mentality being involved in any professional school," Rogers said Friday.
Students are required to have almost every aspect of patient health care approved by supervising faculty.
The scandal became public last month after several anonymous sources with direct knowledge of the students' actions confirmed the university allowed the 10 students to walk in the May commencement ceremony. The sources asked to remain anonymous because they still worked or took classes at the school and feared retaliation from the administration.
They said the students' diplomas were withheld while the university determined the appropriate action.
An honors council, composed of students, faculty advisers and the associate dean of student affairs, investigated the matter. In May, they recommended to interim Dean Richard Carr the students redo a year of school. As an alternative, they suggested the students perform 1,000 hours of community service and pay a fine.

Sources said Carr last week required the students to perform 1,500 hours of community service in oral health over a period of five years, which works out to be about 188 eight-hour work days.

It was unclear how the university planned to enforce the punishment and whether transcripts would be put on hold until the hours were completed.
Board of Regents Chairman Bret Whipple said he received a call from the father of one of the accused students who thought the punishment too extreme because his son had done all of his work but forged the approving signature.

Whipple said he tried to persuade the family not to appeal the dean's decision, which he said was less extreme than what the honors council suggested.

Whipple said he had received calls from dentists who thought the punishment was too lenient.

"It's certainly not a positive," Whipple said of the students' acts. "But it's a positive in the fact that (school officials are) trying to address it. It's unfortunate that they are the first class; at the same time, it's just a small few."

Officials at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, citing federal laws that protect students' identities, have declined to confirm or deny the allegations against the students. They denied a records request the Review-Journal filed to obtain the number of students involved, their names and the sanctions.
Carr defended the first graduating class and its academic and professional standards.

"I would put my reputation on the line for our graduates," he said.
The UNLV School of Dental Medicine stands behind the dentists it certifies, and the public has no reason to be concerned about the quality of graduates, he said.

The school is accredited by the American Dental Association. Carr said the school received commendation for its student affairs and admission practices and its information technology.

He said matters of academic impropriety are handled internally by the school and do not affect accreditation status.

Rogers said he is worried about the public's perception of the professional school and wants the system's chief attorney to look into whether appropriate actions were taken. He was unavailable to confirm Monday whether he had started an investigation.

The dental school is expected to be a big part of Rogers' pet project, the proposed health sciences center. It needs millions of dollars in investments from state and private entities in the upcoming years, and Rogers said he wants to ensure the dental school is not graduating dentists who have questionable morals.

"I'm not casting any stones or making any accusations, but I can tell you at the moment I'm not satisfied," Rogers said.

The Southern Nevada Dental Society has received several calls from members concerned about whether professional standards and ethics were violated, said Robert Anderson, the society's executive director.

No consensus existed among callers on how the school should handle the matter, he said.

Members are cognizant that this is the first class and that there is a learning curve, he said.

"We haven't had issues like this come up before," he said.

Some members of the local dental community were more specific about what they believe the repercussions should be, arguing the 10 graduates are unethical and unfit to work on patients' mouths.

"I would never be associated with this school," said Frank Drongowski, a maxillofacial surgeon who teaches part time at Louisiana State University and practices part time in Southern Nevada.

He said he was shocked when he heard about students cheating from instructors at UNLV's dental school. He said the students should have had to repeat a year at least.

Typically in dental school, "everything has to be off checked by an instructor, and that's why this issue is so serious," he said. "You have students who think they're above that and are essentially working without an instructor being involved."

UNLV officials said 69 of the 71 students who made up the first graduating class took the licensing exam, the Western Regional Boards, this spring. Eighty-six percent passed, an exceptionally high number for a new school, Carr said.

Sources said at least three of the 10 students were known to have passed the exam, and one of them has left the state to do a residency program.
"Putting people's teeth in the hands of people who don't have the ability to do the right thing," said Woodrow Wagner, a retired dentist, who practiced in Las Vegas for 40 years, "I'm kind of ashamed."

Members don't see this ad.

wow. nice work!!..posting old news from june of 2006. you should consider a career in journalism.

wow. nice work!!..posting old news from june of 2006. you should consider a career in journalism.

Bahahhahaaha... poor guy, he was just trying to make sure we were all informed!

Members don't see this ad :)
eat that UNLV! karma is a bitch jerry tarkanian!

This has already been discussed extensively in other threads

K.C. HOWARD is known to publish anti-SDM comments and articles. Besides, don't hate the school just because you didn't get in.

pluto isn't a planet anymore?

just kidding. good story. 10/71 is a small few? they shouldn't get their certificates.

It's a story..its a fact.. maybe 1predent wasn't on SDN every minute of his life like some of us (including me) and didn't hear about this story last year and found it interesting.. let's not bash him on that.. UNLV is a great school w/ a great faculty, but what the students did was not right and they got off easy.

1predent can post whatever he/she wants but it's still not going to change my feelings/mind about unlv...i still love the school!!!!

It's a story..its a fact.. maybe 1predent wasn't on SDN every minute of his life like some of us (including me) and didn't hear about this story last year and found it interesting.. let's not bash him on that.. UNLV is a great school w/ a great faculty, but what the students did was not right and they got off easy.

unlv granted degrees to a whole bunch of cheaters. so unlv is a great school w/
a great faculty ???

Welcome to last year!

a great faculty ???

It is a great school with a great faculty. I don't agree with granting degrees to cheaters but that still doesn't mean its graduates and our degrees mean any less than any others degrees from other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a great school with a great faculty. I don't agree with granting degrees to cheaters but that still doesn't mean its graduates and our degrees mean any less than any others degrees from other schools.

how unlv justifies by granting degrees to cheaters ?
is the avatar a picture of yourself ?

a great faculty ???

So some students found away to cheat their system... Does say anything about the School or its faculty? .. its a new school and im sure they've learned from this that they have keep things locked down a bit more. regardless of how many ethics courses were forced to take, people will cheat if an opportunity is presented to them..

UNLV is a great school w/ a great faculty, but what the students did was not right and they got off easy.

Got off easy?? they will have to basically work a year free.. seems strict enough to me.. Maybe they should have been forced to repeat the 4th year instead.

Ten is alot of cheaters. I wonder what kind of documents they signed for their professors? That might change some opinions of some people on here.

these students were caught...who knows how many other cheaters there are at other schools that haven't been caught yet. and what does my avatar have to do with this thread?

these students were caught...who knows how many other cheaters there are at other schools that haven't been caught yet. and what does my avatar have to do with this thread?

He probably thinks that you are hot, if that is infact your pic for your avatar.

no it's not me. it's a shakira pic but i have been told that i look like her :D

Ten is alot of cheaters. I wonder what kind of documents they signed for their professors? That might change some opinions of some people on here.

None of them treated patients without supervision. The simplified version of what happened is this:

These guys treated patients in the clinic, but due to lack of time at the end of the treatment session, their work was checked by the attending faculty and given a verbal "O.K." with the understanding that sometime in the future the students would seek out the faculty member and have their work signed off on the computer.

Time went by and just before graduation all seniors were told to have any treatment that had been completed,but not verified in the computer, needed a faculty signature.

These 10 signed of some of their documents with a faculty password without permission. All treatment that was signed off was stuff that had been satisfactorily completed and checked by an insturctor. All parties involved agree that no patients were ever treated without supervision and that no student altered grades or treatment or gave themselves credit for treatment that never was performed.

Clearly what they did was wrong. I personally think the punishment is harsh. Doing a year's worth of free dentistry is difficult and financially very trying. I don't believe that expulsion was the right answer.

I know all ten personally and think they are good people who made a stupid mistake.

I don't think graduates of the school have suffered any ill effects. I have not heard of anybody not being able to work because of it. I certainly haven't felt any repercussions. That being said, I wish it didn't happen.

As a UNLV graduate, I have spoken to many other dentists from many different dental schools. When I explain what happen, many say that similar things happen at their school and either they don't get caught or the school turns a blind eye. Don't flame me, that is just what others have told me and there is no way to verify if this is true or not.

I applaud the dental school for making a stand, when it would have been much easier to turn a blind eye.

None of them treated patients without supervision. The simplified version of what happened is this:

These guys treated patients in the clinic, but due to lack of time at the end of the treatment session, their work was checked by the attending faculty and given a verbal "O.K." with the understanding that sometime in the future the students would seek out the faculty member and have their work signed off on the computer.

Time went by and just before graduation all seniors were told to have any treatment that had been completed,but not verified in the computer, needed a faculty signature.

These 10 signed of some of their documents with a faculty password without permission. All treatment that was signed off was stuff that had been satisfactorily completed and checked by an insturctor. All parties involved agree that no patients were ever treated without supervision and that no student altered grades or treatment or gave themselves credit for treatment that never was performed.

Clearly what they did was wrong. I personally think the punishment is harsh. Doing a year's worth of free dentistry is difficult and financially very trying. I don't believe that expulsion was the right answer.

I know all ten personally and think they are good people who made a stupid mistake.

I don't think graduates of the school have suffered any ill effects. I have not heard of anybody not being able to work because of it. I certainly haven't felt any repercussions. That being said, I wish it didn't happen.

did the faculty give the students their password ???

I have to be honest here for a minute. I was this close
...........l l.................. to chosing UNLV for many reasons. But there were many reasons I choose another school. This is one of them. Couple this with the fact that the school is new and the only tradition built so far is full of doubt and uncertainty, I didn't have the stones to commit. Part of me wishes I would have, but I couldn't.

Good Luck to the Class of 2011.

If what JRD said is correct, then those students were simply too lazy to get sigs and now they deserve to work harder. I agree that the punishment was too heavy, maybe 1/4 of the hours of service would have been better. I dont classify what they did as cheating.

For what it is worth, I have had this story verified by current students and faculty. They told it the exact same way.

Your avatar looks like the dentist is giving his patient a hand job.:laugh: Just another free service you offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.