UNLV Students: Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryche22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my roommate and I decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Vegas. Its my first time there. We got great deals for plane tickets ($30/each way), and just as good of a deal on the hotel.

Anyways, I thought I would check out the Dental School while I was there. I couldn't really find anything on Dental School tours on their website, but I called, and they should be calling back soon.

I was wondering if there are specific buildings I should check out, or places I should go on campus. What do you think is the coolest or most impressive part of your school?

Also, regardless if I get a campus tour, it would be cool to meet some of you guys. If anyone wants to hang and/or put down a beer or two PM me. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Rick

Members don't see this ad.

The dental school is not on the main campus. It is in the medical district *ahem... ghetto ville* at I-15 and Charelston. There are always people coming in a checking it out. Just go to the front desk and ask to be directed to the admissions office. They will do the whole deal for ya. You will see how nice the school is. I like how everything is new, the faculty is really great, and the high tech way the do everything. Its a great place!

I knew the Dental School wasnt on the Main Campus, but I didnt think it was that secluded. The admissions staff give tours daily, whenever you stop in. My tour guide was very knowledgeable about all aspects of the school.

I remembered something about a new UNLV dental building opening up, and I wasnt sure if it already had, so I asked if we were walking in it. He laughed and said it was going to be a brand new 50,000? sq. ft. building, I thought cool! Then he added it was just going to be for Ortho, and OEC is buying the building. I asked if it was just for Ortho, and he agreed.

Im just not sure if that sits well with me. Was he wrong about the new building? Will it be used by Pre-Doctoral dental students? Also would predocs take ortho courses influenced by OEC? Is OEC going to have pull in the general dental school?

On a brighter note...

The school was awesome!

We walked into the simlab where all the first years were working. It was a cool experience to actually see it put to use.

We saw the Dry Lab as well. Apparantly you have to do your own lab work for the entire four years there. I am not sure how many schools do this, but I thought some schools let you send stuff out to a dental lab. Im not sure if thats a pro or con yet...

He also kept emphasizing that the school was trying to be paperless. No books. No Charts. No nothin. Kinda cool, kinda not. Im just not sure how it would work. Are there kinks they still need to work out, and how long does it take getting used to?

Also I have a question about the class scheduling. He said you dont have classes like Histology, Anatomy, Biochem...but they are lumped together in "an integrative program"? What does that mean? And for anatomy, why dont you use cadavers again?

All and all it was a cool experience, as it was the first dental school I visited (minus the temple clinic). Everyone was really friendly, clinics seemed awesome, plus there is a waiting list of THOUSANDS to be seen by dental students. No need to recruit patients here.

A cool experience, but not as cool as the strip :) We did everything, from learning how to play craps, to losing money on the craps table! Saw a couple shows, and went shooting at "the gun store".

A great vacation in the middle of the week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I'm glad you had a good time at the dental school, and even better time in Vegas :)
The 40,000 sq feet orthodontic building is for real, but it's on its way to be built. In the near future, more advanced programs such as endo, perio... will also be placed in this new building.
For now the orthodontic residents will have to stay in the current dental building with dds students, but with the director from the University of Texas San Antonio Health Sciences Center and half of the 16 residents being non OEC, it should be a pretty decent program IMHO.
I've also heard from rumors that in the coming ortho program each resident will have to treat over 200 patients a year. If that's true it will be very clinical but that sounds like hell a lot of work.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-ed/2005/jun/27/518965728.html

200 patients per resident is too much. You do actually need to learn something from each case. There are several great clinical programs that see 50 patients per resident. OEC obviously has their own agenda though.