UNLV vs Buffalo (Pitt??)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoshoyi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been incredibly fortunate to have been accepted to UDM, NYU, UNLV, and Buffalo, and following the advice of many people on sdn, I'm deciding between the two that costs the least.

I did some calculation on UNLV and Buffalo and came up with these price tags, without including living expenses, and assuming in-state tuition after the first year:

UNLV: $230k
Buffalo: $210k

The cost of the two are pretty equal so I don't think 20k is enough to sway me to one side or the other. Looking at other factors, I am a California resident, so UNLV is much, much closer to me. I also hope to practice in the West Coast in the future. I've heard that if I want to do this in Buffalo, I may need to take a different board exam somewhere else...like the west coast version...can someone explain this to me? And how convenient/inconvenient it is?

The cons for UNLV is that it is still a relatively new school with not really much of a reputation, plus they don't have an actual cadaver lab, so I'm questioning how good clinically UNLV can actually prepare me compared to Buffalo.

I also have been given an interview to Pitt in January and I'm not sure whether I should go or not. I believe that it would end up costing $235k over the course of 4 years assuming NON-RESIDENT tuition for all four years. Since it's post-december, my chances of getting in would probably be a tad-less than before and I'd also be shelling out $500+ for airfare+hotel. Should I take the interview or stick to deciding between UNLV and Buffalo? And if given the choice, which one would you have picked and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely still go to the interview at Pitt, you may end up falling in love with the school.
As for UNLV vs Buffalo that's pretty tough, 20k is still a good deal of cash but if that's not a factor choose the school you think will make you a better dentist.
I don't think the boards are any different based on what coast you're on, it's all ADA. As for licensure I think that depends on state and not region like west coast.

So, I've been incredibly fortunate to have been accepted to UDM, NYU, UNLV, and Buffalo, and following the advice of many people on sdn, I'm deciding between the two that costs the least.

I did some calculation on UNLV and Buffalo and came up with these price tags, without including living expenses, and assuming in-state tuition after the first year:

UNLV: $230k
Buffalo: $210k

The cost of the two are pretty equal so I don't think 20k is enough to sway me to one side or the other. Looking at other factors, I am a California resident, so UNLV is much, much closer to me. I also hope to practice in the West Coast in the future. I've heard that if I want to do this in Buffalo, I may need to take a different board exam somewhere else...like the west coast version...can someone explain this to me? And how convenient/inconvenient it is?

The cons for UNLV is that it is still a relatively new school with not really much of a reputation, plus they don't have an actual cadaver lab, so I'm questioning how good clinically UNLV can actually prepare me compared to Buffalo.

I also have been given an interview to Pitt in January and I'm not sure whether I should go or not. I believe that it would end up costing $235k over the course of 4 years assuming NON-RESIDENT tuition for all four years. Since it's post-december, my chances of getting in would probably be a tad-less than before and I'd also be shelling out $500+ for airfare+hotel. Should I take the interview or stick to deciding between UNLV and Buffalo? And if given the choice, which one would you have picked and why?

I don't you will be happy in Buffalo TBH, I also got accepted to both UNLV and Buffalo. Students in UNLV are definitely happier and being from California, the weather in Buffalo leaves a lot to be desired. Just my 2 cents!

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo is a dope area. You can find the comments on the actual school itself in other threads but as for Buffalo as a city, it's artsy and stuff, lots of good small businesses like 10 minutes away from campus and a bunch of bands come here to play. I might be biased about the snow since I've grown up in snowy area all my life but you get used to it. As for Pitt, my buddy that did research there that goes to Buffalo said they have a similar vibe in terms of the city.

Reactions: 1 user
Buffalo is a dope area. You can find the comments on the actual school itself in other threads but as for Buffalo as a city, it's artsy and stuff, lots of good small businesses like 10 minutes away from campus and a bunch of bands come here to play. I might be biased about the snow since I've grown up in snowy area all my life but you get used to it. As for Pitt, my buddy that did research there that goes to Buffalo said they have a similar vibe in terms of the city.

Hahahaha, yes! My overall impression of Pitt and Buffalo is that they're both very similar areas. Pitt seems to have more of a moderate weather though, of course, nothing compared to Socal, but at least compared to Buffalo it is. Do you feel this difference in Buffalo and Pitt weather is reason enough to go visit Pitt?

I don't you will be happy in Buffalo TBH, I also got accepted to both UNLV and Buffalo. Students in UNLV are definitely happier and being from California, the weather in Buffalo leaves a lot to be desired. Just my 2 cents!

I noticed that you also got into 4 schools, if you're choosing among these 4, are you most likely siding towards UNLV?

Hahahaha, yes! My overall impression of Pitt and Buffalo is that they're both very similar areas. Pitt seems to have more of a moderate weather though, of course, nothing compared to Socal, but at least compared to Buffalo it is. Do you feel this difference in Buffalo and Pitt weather is reason enough to go visit Pitt?

I've never been to Pitt. I like Buffalo though, it is cheap as hell. I pay less than 300 a month for rent for a two minute walk from the dental school. Standard of living here is pretty damn low, are you a NYS resident?

I noticed that you also got into 4 schools, if you're choosing among these 4, are you most likely siding towards UNLV?

Actually, I am leaning towards Western. Both UNLV and Western left me with a very good impression. Students and faculty were very welcoming and helpful at both schools, but Western gave me the impression that it could be something REALLY great in the future. (western & asdoh, watch for those two schools). Western also has nicer facilities and also it is in California!

I'm also crossing my fingers and hopefully I can get into UOP!

I've never been to Pitt. I like Buffalo though, it is cheap as hell. I pay less than 300 a month for rent for a two minute walk from the dental school. Standard of living here is pretty damn low, are you a NYS resident?

Where are you living? I keep seeing places for 500-900$

Yeah, seriously, $300??! That's ridiculous!! And I thought $500 was already dirt cheap...

I'm a California resident

Actually, I am leaning towards Western. Both UNLV and Western left me with a very good impression. Students and faculty were very welcoming and helpful at both schools, but Western gave me the impression that it could be something REALLY great in the future. (western & asdoh, watch for those two schools). Western also has nicer facilities and also it is in California!

I'm also crossing my fingers and hopefully I can get into UOP!

Ooooh, I've actually heard a lot of good stuff from those who interviewed at Western. It can be a good bit more expensive though, no? Same with UoP...both will probably be 100k + interests more expensive? Are you looking into serving in the military, or are you blessed with coming from an affluent family? Or scholarships?? I know that I totally would choose an expensive school if I had the military route option, but alas, they don't accept Canadian citizens who are US Permanent Residents...:depressed:

Also, have you already interviewed at UoP yet? I keep wishing to hear back from UoP and/or Western but I've heard nothing :(

Yeah, seriously, $300??! That's ridiculous!! And I thought $500 was already dirt cheap...

I'm a California resident

If you live off Winspear, or the two streets back you'll find houses for rent for about $300 or so. I actually know some people living at like $220. So the whole neighborhood directly behind the pharmacy school is around that price. I actually have a buddy from California that moved here and he is planning to go here for med school now. For Buff, you can get residency after one year so yeah.

Ooooh, I've actually heard a lot of good stuff from those who interviewed at Western. It can be a good bit more expensive though, no? Same with UoP...both will probably be 100k + interests more expensive? Are you looking into serving in the military, or are you blessed with coming from an affluent family? Or scholarships?? I know that I totally would choose an expensive school if I had the military route option, but alas, they don't accept Canadian citizens who are US Permanent Residents...:depressed:

Also, have you already interviewed at UoP yet? I keep wishing to hear back from UoP and/or Western but I've heard nothing :(

I'm lucky enough to not worry about the cost upfront, just focusing on where I will get the best possible education to serve my patients in the future. I have interviewed at UoP already, but it was post-December so I'm just waiting right now.

Email Western and UOP to show interest, at least they will get back to you with some sort of update hopefully!

I just want to point out another angle of selection.

1. Family support

Living closer to home sometimes means a lot more than you would expect in the highly stressful environment. I know lot of people goes to school in UNLV will drive back to CA when ever they have a break. Sometimes a little hug and homemade food can completely recharge you.

2. Post grad program
The fewer post graduate program the school have, the better it is for me, it means no competition for patients between the post grad residents and DS student, you can get all the weird case u want (that u can handle). U can compare the schools in their programs along with potential patient pool.

3. School support
The school support is extremely important, do the school provide student extra help to get them through school? Did the professor being helpful even outside the school, I was in an fund raising event that host by the UNLV DS student on a sat morning, turns out about 7-8 faculty members shows up to run at the event. No a huge deal but it does show what kind of people you will be dealing with the next 4 years.

I never be to Buffalo, so all I can say is the experiences I had with other dental school.

Hope you can find the one you want.

Reactions: 1 users
@hugomaaf Thanks for putting those factors into perspective! I really appreciate specific posts like these from students

Reactions: 1 users