UNM vs. Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kr85dk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A poll was posted earlier about this, but came out inconclusive. I need help deciding between UNM and Tech. Some background info:
I am a NM resident, but Tech gave me $1000 scholarship + in-state tuition (making Tech cheaper tuition-wise), BUT I may be able to live in Albuquerque for free, while I would be paying rent in Lubbock.

I know they are fairly similar stats-wise.... If SDNers could help me with some major pros and cons to help the decision it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

A poll was posted earlier about this, but came out inconclusive. I need help deciding between UNM and Tech. Some background info:
I am a NM resident, but Tech gave me $1000 scholarship + in-state tuition (making Tech cheaper tuition-wise), BUT I may be able to live in Albuquerque for free, while I would be paying rent in Lubbock.

I know they are fairly similar stats-wise.... If SDNers could help me with some major pros and cons to help the decision it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!:D

Well look at the savings from Tech tuition compared to savings from living in NM for free and see if either comes up above the other. Also, I'm assuming if you're living for free in NM it is with family (possibly parents). This could be stressful if you don't have the right home environment, but that is up to you to decide since I don't know you.

I think you should also compare curriculum between the two schools. I don't know about NM, but Tech is changing over to systems based, and it has already started but they are still ironing out stuff. At tech you also have the possibility of moving after two years (i'm not sure whether you care or not). You're also in a more rural area for Tech, but the people are some of the friendliest you'll meet (the Tech staff and the people in Lubbock), Tech has sparkling new facilities, and you draw your patients from a HUGE area. Also you'll be in all of the great Texas stuff, including Big XII football, and you'll have the benefits of a big Texas school right near you.

Lastly, I think you should evaluate support systems you would have at both locations. Med school is super stressful and I've seen, through my friends, the importance of having a good support system, especially in the beginning. But support could be family or it could be friends you make in school.

Good luck making your decision. Be thorough but don't worry too much. The decision you make will end up being the right one I'm sure. :) :thumbup:

Thanks! I should clarify: I would be living for free in my dad's old house (he is getting married and moving in with his wife), so it wouldn't be actually with my family. I would probably have to find a roommate though to help him pay for the mortgage.

Also, I don't like the idea of having to move after two years at Tech... BUT the facilities and people at Tech were much more appealing than UNM...

Members don't see this ad :)