Unmatched doctor does direct primary care in Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PathDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Missouri is the 32nd state to legalize medical marijuana.

Before moving to Kansas City two years ago, Bubenik was a nurse and a doctor in Oregon, one of the first states to legalize marijuana for medical use and, later, recreational use. She said physicians in other states have become more comfortable with it.

Bubenik is part of Missouri’s assistant physician program, a first-of-its-kind law that allows medical school graduates who haven’t done residency to practice under the supervision of another physician.

Medical marijuana also won’t be covered by insurance, but Bubenik said that’s less of an issue for her patients than for others. She runs a direct primary care clinic, which means patients pay her a monthly membership fee rather than billing insurance. Clinics like hers often attract patients who either have no coverage or high deductibles.

Members don't see this ad.

Old news. Several threads about the assistant physician program in Missouri:

Seems like since the last thread, some people have actually been making this program work. Unclear to me how easy it is to make it happen.

board failure, but a US MD. Still don't think a doc should be practicing without a structured residency any more than NPs/PAs should be independent. I'm having trouble buying that they couldn't pull at least a prelim/transitional year

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a fan of the program in MO for a limited amount of time. I think docs who don't match should have another chance at the match and in the meantime, they can help fill a void in primary care, under the supervision of an attending. However, I don't think this should be just a random option for people who don't want to do a residency. In my view, the program should allow people a 3-year limit. After that, if they don't match, they need to explore other avenues if they wish to try again.

Reactions: 1 user
Of the 25 assistant physicians with a collaborative agreement, all were IMGs, and 20 were working in health professional shortage areas.

Regarding USMLE performance first-attempt pass rates,

• on Step 1, assistant physicians had a 70 percent pass rate compared with 94 percent for all U.S. medical graduates and 78 percent for all IMGs;
  • on Step 2 clinical knowledge, the pass rate was 42 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 81 percent for IMGs;
  • on Step 2 clinical skills, the pass rate was 50 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 79 percent for IMGs; and
  • on Step 3, the pass rate was 66 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 86 percent for IMGs.
The authors noted that Step 3 is not required for licensure in Missouri.

Of the 25 assistant physicians with a collaborative agreement, all were IMGs, and 20 were working in health professional shortage areas.

Regarding USMLE performance first-attempt pass rates,

• on Step 1, assistant physicians had a 70 percent pass rate compared with 94 percent for all U.S. medical graduates and 78 percent for all IMGs;
  • on Step 2 clinical knowledge, the pass rate was 42 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 81 percent for IMGs;
  • on Step 2 clinical skills, the pass rate was 50 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 79 percent for IMGs; and
  • on Step 3, the pass rate was 66 percent for assistant physicians versus 96 percent for U.S. graduates and 86 percent for IMGs.
The authors noted that Step 3 is not required for licensure in Missouri.
I’m confused that anyone is confused that they have lower pass rates

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.