UNMC Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiasky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I have a few questions about UNMC...

1. What is the grading system? Pass/No Pass or letter grading? If it's letter grading, do you feel it is too competitive?

2. How are the PBLs? I have heard mixed reviews about them at other schools and was just looking for some opinions...do you feel it is a good way to learn?

3. What are the standardized patients like? Do you have the mock patient scenarios like Creighton? Do you feel you get enough patient interaction in your early years?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just completed my first year of med school at UNMC. I'll try to answer your questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected].

The grading system is honors(top 10%), high pass (next 20%), pass, marginal, and fail. Everything is based on a curve- if your grade is 2.0 standard deviations below the mean, you fail. You still get a percentage grade for each class. I don't feel that it is any more competitive than the average medical school. There are still your handful of gunners just like anywhere else.

PBL is ok, most students think its a pain the butt and I didn't learn a whole lot.

I think we get a lot of early patient contact. We learn the basics of the history and physical exam during the first year and have simulated patient exams that are really helpful to test your skills.

Hope this helps:)
Tricia