Unmc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody interviewing at the University of Nebraska Medical Center on Friday? Has anyone interviewed there in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be interviewing on Friday. I'm not sure what to expect other than what has been posted on SDN, though. Best of luck! :luck:

What time are you guys interviewing? I'm in at 9:45.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a great school with a good track record for its alumni, nice atmosphere, friendly faculty and plenty of opportunities.

The best advice I can give you, is come early (about half an hour before your interview) and hang out in the lobby. You will get assigned a current student who will be showing you around and taking you to and from your interview & writing assignment. That student is your best source of information about who your interviewers will be and what they like to see, and other tips. Good luck!

It is a great school with a good track record for its alumni, nice atmosphere, friendly faculty and plenty of opportunities.

The best advice I can give you, is come early (about half an hour before your interview) and hang out in the lobby. You will get assigned a current student who will be showing you around and taking you to and from your interview & writing assignment. That student is your best source of information about who your interviewers will be and what they like to see, and other tips. Good luck!

Do you know if Dr. Krobot is one of the interviewers? That guy is extremely friendly and helpful. A great ambassador for the program, no doubt.

I've heard some great things about UNMC as well and my experience with Dr. Krobot has been very positive. I interview a little after you Twins might see ya! :)

not going to interview. just got my acceptance letter from creighton. good luck to all who are interviewing!

Hels, do you know much about what type of interview it is? I went on a tour there in November and the Student Ambassador that was my tour guide said that it was a very superficial interview (which would make sense seeing as how it is only ~15 minutes.) Will the interview do much for affecting the way UNMC has people ranked coming into the interview, or is it somewhat of a rubber stamp...do they kind of have their minds made up as to who is in and who isn't, but this is one last chance to blow it if you stumble over the whole interview?

not going to interview. just got my acceptance letter from creighton. good luck to all who are interviewing!

Congrats qtnatty! Things turned out just the way I had hoped they would when I pm'd you:thumbup: Way to go! And now there is one less person to compete with:laugh: Everybody wins!

Do you know if Dr. Krobot is one of the interviewers? That guy is extremely friendly and helpful. A great ambassador for the program, no doubt.

Usually he does (he is the Assistant Dean, and the Dean himself might too - though they have a new Dean now, I don't know if he does). The interviews are conducted in two interviewers per one candidate, usually one is a faculty member and the second one may be a facultry member, or an alumnus/a, or a preceptor for one of the rotations. Dr. Krobot is really nice, as are most faculty members. It is a small school with a very "homey" feel.

Hels, do you know much about what type of interview it is? I went on a tour there in November and the Student Ambassador that was my tour guide said that it was a very superficial interview (which would make sense seeing as how it is only ~15 minutes.) Will the interview do much for affecting the way UNMC has people ranked coming into the interview, or is it somewhat of a rubber stamp...do they kind of have their minds made up as to who is in and who isn't, but this is one last chance to blow it if you stumble over the whole interview?

I am not sure about the interview, whether it is 15 or 20 minutes, it's been both in the past. The same usual mix of questions - why do you want to be a pharmacist, what do you do in your spare time, etc. The weight of the interview may have changed. In the past, the policy used to be "everyone who meets the requirements gets an interview, and then we cull the herd" (which meant that out of 300-350 applicants, some 200-250 would get interviews, and then 65 would get offers), but I heard that they have moved to the system where they are more selective and only invite people who have a chance at gaining admission to the onsite interviews. It is hard to say whether this would increase or decrease the weight of the interivew (my gut feeling is, it makes it more important). I personally believe that interview is what makes or breaks a candidate, and as far as length... from my experience on both sides of interviewing table, you pretty much know whether you like someone or not in the first 5 minutes, the rest is just digging for more information to justify your gut reaction.

Remember, you will also have the writing exercise (where the flow of thought and overall ability to express oneself on paper is more important than writing conventions, but remarkably poor grammar may still kill you), the time for that is unlimited.

Thank you for your insight Hels!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I second that! Thanks for your help Hels! Wish us luck!

How did you guys feel like the interview went? I interviewed with Dr. Cochrane and Dr. Marky (I think that was how it was spelled). It was by far the most laid back interview I have had (have also interviewed at U of MN and MWU-CPG).

It was interesting to hear from the student ambassador that there will be a somewhat sizable increase in tuition for next year's entering P1s, but it's still far more affordable than Omaha's alternative. Besides, if it means bringing in more faculty it's a good thing in my mind.

How did you guys feel like the interview went? I interviewed with Dr. Cochrane and Dr. Marky (I think that was how it was spelled). It was by far the most laid back interview I have had (have also interviewed at U of MN and MWU-CPG).

It was interesting to hear from the student ambassador that there will be a somewhat sizable increase in tuition for next year's entering P1s, but it's still far more affordable than Omaha's alternative. Besides, if it means bringing in more faculty it's a good thing in my mind.

You got two of the four coolest people there for your interview. :thumbup:
BTW, it's Cochran, not Cochrane (that's a database). ;)

Yep, UNMC was less than 1/3 of Creighton's tuition when I was there. :D Another piece of good news is that UNMC waives out-of-state tuition for everyone they accept, at least that was the case for pharmacy school and med school as late as two years ago.

I got my acceptance letter about two or three weeks after the interview, though most people I know waited about a month to hear, just to give you a heads up. And one person was on the alternates list and got accepted in July... :)

Are you guys from Nebraska? I think by law 90% of the incoming class has to come from Nebraska, and the remaining 10% are from states that are immediately adjacent or participate in midwestern reciprocation schemes (Minnesota is one).

My interview was very relaxed as well. It seemed more like they were interested in getting to know more about me as a person. Everyone involved in the interview was extremely nice!

I'm from here in Nebraska. Good thinking to ask about tuition, Twins. I mainly asked about student-professor relationships and organizations. I just assumed that what was on the website for tuition would be pretty accurate with a slight increase for next year. How big of an increase are we talking about?

From what the student ambassador said, it could be a tuition increase of up to 4 or 5k, so it is significant, but like Hels said it is still much less than Creighton.

I have lived in Nebraska for the past two years and was granted resident status, so that should definitely help.

From what the student ambassador said, it could be a tuition increase of up to 4 or 5k, so it is significant, but like Hels said it is still much less than Creighton.

Also, unlike Creighton, UNMC does not hike up tuition for P-4s, and most out of town rotations offer free housing (I don't think any of Creighton's offer free housing).

My interview was very relaxed as well. It seemed more like they were interested in getting to know more about me as a person.

That is actually a correct impression. UNMC considers the personality fit to be as important as being able to handle the academic demand, which I think is a wise idea. Nothing is worse than spending upwards of 5-6 hours a day among people you hate (or are simply uncomfortable with). :)

Glad it was a good experience for you all and I wish you the best of luck!

Ok, so this is essentially a bump, but...FutureRx and alternate, are you guys (or gals) as antsy as me? Granted, it hasn't even been a full two weeks yet, but I WANNA KNOW NOW!:eek: I'm hoping we hear next week....make sure you post something as soon as you get notification one way or the other. I live way out in western NE so it might take a couple extra weeks for the pony express to deliver my acceptance (or denial:thumbdown:) letter.

I agree Twins! I'm hoping that we hear soon. I hate the waiting game because I like to have things planned out. I'll definitely let you know either way.

I live way out in western NE so it might take a couple extra weeks for the pony express to deliver my acceptance (or denial:thumbdown:) letter.

Where at? I remember making it to the Sandhills after 7 years in Nebraska, and I was astonished to learn that it is not all flat and ugly, there is actually a stunningly beautiful part to it. :)

Ok, so this is essentially a bump, but...FutureRx and alternate, are you guys (or gals) as antsy as me? Granted, it hasn't even been a full two weeks yet, but I WANNA KNOW NOW!:eek: I'm hoping we hear next week....make sure you post something as soon as you get notification one way or the other. I live way out in western NE so it might take a couple extra weeks for the pony express to deliver my acceptance (or denial:thumbdown:) letter.

Yeah, I'm nervous everyday Twins fan!!!! I want to get in really bad because I have been so close to guaranteed acceptance for the past two years now!!! I'm actually an "alternate" in the RHOP program with UNMC so my RHOP friends have been guaranteed since high school so they have nothing to worry about but I've been doing everything they have and don't have any guaranteed acceptance. Hopefully it all works out but I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Good luck to you guys (or gals) and hope we all get to see each other there next year!!!!

Where at? I remember making it to the Sandhills after 7 years in Nebraska, and I was astonished to learn that it is not all flat and ugly, there is actually a stunningly beautiful part to it. :)

I live in Scottsbluff right now. Scotts Bluff National Monument is pretty cool, and we live 8 miles from Chimney Rock. There are some very scenic areas around here with a lot of bluffs. We aren't in the extremely flat portion of NE, which is nice.

The Chadron area is pretty cool too...lots of pine trees (in Nebraska!) and very hilly. Having spent most of my life in northern Minnesota I kind of thought MN had a monopoly on pine trees (except for the Rocky Mts.) but I was dead wrong!

I've never been in the Sand Hills area of NE, but I'd love to see it this time of year with all of the bird migration going on.

Anything guys??? How are you holding up because I'm a wreck! I have literally been stalking our mail man.

Anything guys??? How are you holding up because I'm a wreck! I have literally been stalking our mail man.

Nothing, I'm guessing it won't be for another couple weeks. UNMC seemed slow getting the interview letters out too. But I hope it comes next week!!! I'd be willing to help out the postal service for free. :)

No word here either. AAAHHHH!!!

At least MLB starts next week...one thing to help take away the pain of waiting.

Nothing here...:( I'm still checking my mail with anticipation every day. This is definitely the toughest part of the application process.

I'm hoping this upcoming week. I heard they got them around April 1 last year. This is the worst part of the application process, I get more and more paranoid as the days go by. Please UNMC!!!!!!

Yeah, this waiting is tough. Hell, my wife and I actually have signed a purchase agreement on a house in Omaha that has a contingency based on whether or not I get into UNMC (we can back out until April 19th if I hear that I don't get in with a very minimal penalty). I think the people we are buying the house from are probably even more paranoid than I am and are wondering how in the hell they got talked into allowing for such a contingency...

Fun times for all waiting on UNMC!

Another day, another depressing walk from the mail box...

Hey Twins, I can kind of relate. I was accepted to the University of Oklahoma earlier this month (their interview was the week before UNMC and we knew a little over two weeks after the interview). For us, we are just in limbo waiting to hear from UNMC because we need to know if we are really going to have to sell our house (in Omaha) and move or if we will be able to stay...

UNMC is of course our first choice because our lives are here, they are a great school, and I'd love to pay in-state tuition, but we'll move if we have to. Right now, we just feel like everything is on hold and there is no way to plan for anything one way or the other. :eek: This is rough!

Best of luck to us all!

So I called UNMC today and they said their decisions were finalized yesterday. They should have the decisions in mail either tomorrow or Friday.

We should hear soon folks!

I read in UNMC's 'magazine' (quarterly, whatever it is) about UNMC pharmacy grads sponsoring white coats. Each coat contains a card with contact info for the person or persons who sponsored the coat. I think that's a great idea. If I get in I'm hoping my sponsor is living in central New Jersey!

Are any of you guys from Omaha? I've been there 4 or 5 times now and think it's a pretty good place to live. Any insight on life in Omaha?

I live in Omaha, Twins. What do you want to know?

Hey Hels, thanks for sponsoring. I read about how grads sponsor white coats, too. I think that it will be great to be able to get in touch with a UNMC grad who is out in the profession now (provided I get in, of course...should know soon :eek:)....Are you the only grad from UNMC on SDN? I haven't seen any others post, but I'll admit I haven't been looking other than on this thread.

I read in UNMC's 'magazine' (quarterly, whatever it is) about UNMC pharmacy grads sponsoring white coats. Each coat contains a card with contact info for the person or persons who sponsored the coat. I think that's a great idea. If I get in I'm hoping my sponsor is living in central New Jersey!

It must be something new... wasn't the case in my time. Or maybe I just don't remember... I remember one thing - these white coats are made of some horrible material that is so hot, I was sweating every time I had to wear one for more than a few minutes. :rolleyes:

Are any of you guys from Omaha? I've been there 4 or 5 times now and think it's a pretty good place to live. Any insight on life in Omaha?

Basically, depends on whether you want more fun or more safe location. Generally, the further west you go, the more suburban it becomes. Area around UNMC is not bad per se, there are some pockets that aren't so good at night - but most of Omaha is really, really safe and clean. The only area I would avoid is downtown (good places there are very expensive, and not so good are too old and not too well maintained, in my opinion) and anything north of Dodge and east of 42nd street. The commute from the western suburbs is not too bad but I heard it got worse in the last few years - it used to take me about 40 minutes to get from what was then the very southwest Millard to UNMC. It's now built over all the way to Gretna, and I remember it being all cornfields. :)

Hey Hels, thanks for sponsoring. I read about how grads sponsor white coats, too. I think that it will be great to be able to get in touch with a UNMC grad who is out in the profession now (provided I get in, of course...should know soon :eek:)....Are you the only grad from UNMC on SDN? I haven't seen any others post, but I'll admit I haven't been looking other than on this thread.

UNMC is a very close-knit school, believe me. :) As far as I know, I am the only one here who graduated from there, but I have never looked specifically. A lot of faculty are UNMC grads as well. In my class over 2/3 were from rural Nebraska, and majority are still in Nebraska. :)

I got in!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone on here for all your help!!!! I hope to see some of you guys there next year. I'll probably be one of the younger kids there since I'm still 19. Ready to move on to Omaha!!!!!!:)

I got in!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone on here for all your help!!!! I hope to see some of you guys there next year. I'll probably be one of the younger kids there since I'm still 19. Ready to move on to Omaha!!!!!!:)

Congratulations! :) I think average age for the starting class for the last few years was 23-25, but don't worry, there are always a few kids with just two years pre-pharmacy, especially those from RHOP (I think they are always after just two years? I am not sure).

Congratulations! :) I think average age for the starting class for the last few years was 23-25, but don't worry, there are always a few kids with just two years pre-pharmacy, especially those from RHOP (I think they are always after just two years? I am not sure).

Thanks Hels. I'm the RHOP alternate and yes, they get in after two years automatically. It will be nice to know some people before I go. UNMC is a great school, very professional, and Dr. Krobot is a great ambassador for that school too. Thanks for all your help and advice on these forums, I look forward to learning a lot these next four years.

Thanks Hels. I'm the RHOP alternate and yes, they get in after two years automatically. It will be nice to know some people before I go. UNMC is a great school, very professional, and Dr. Krobot is a great ambassador for that school too. Thanks for all your help and advice on these forums, I look forward to learning a lot these next four years.
There are a lot of great professors there, I can only think of two who weren't particularly friendly. You can always come in and ask questions, and they never make you feel like you are intruding on their time. And many faculty in the Spring donate a dinner with themselves for the fundraiser - some invite you to their homes, some take you out to nice restaurants. That shows they really care about their students. :)

Hey guys!!! I've been waiting all weekend to be able to post this. I went out of town right after I got my acceptance letter. Congrats alternate!!! See you in the Fall!

I'm in too! Was out of town this weekend, but managed to get to a computer yesterday and saw alternate got in, so I called one of my friends in Scottsbluff and had him check (and open!) any mail from UNMC. He read it to me over the phone, and I confirmed everything personally today (not that I really had any doubts about my friend's ability to read:))

All three SDNers that wanted to get in got in...sweet!

The house that my wife and I are buying in Omaha comes with a pool table, so you guys will have to practice up this summer because I plan on trying to hustle some classmates next fall, and I don't want you guys to be it!

Congrats to all!

I'm in too! Was out of town this weekend, but managed to get to a computer yesterday and saw alternate got in, so I called one of my friends in Scottsbluff and had him check (and open!) any mail from UNMC. He read it to me over the phone, and I confirmed everything personally today (not that I really had any doubts about my friend's ability to read:))

All three SDNers that wanted to get in got in...sweet!

The house that my wife and I are buying in Omaha comes with a pool table, so you guys will have to practice up this summer because I plan on trying to hustle some classmates next fall, and I don't want you guys to be it!

Congrats to all!

Congratulations, Twins fan!

We have a perfect record in this thread, three out of three. :D As a UNMC alumna I sure hope you all make the school proud. ;) UNMC has a good track record for preparing its grads for great careers, so you already have a good start. :)

Congrats, Twins!!! Wow, all three SDN-ers got in! We'll have to be sure and get together sometime once school starts. I have a feeling that our class will be pretty close since it is pretty small.

Congrats to FutureRxDr and Twins!!!!! I look forward to meeting you guys next year. I'm up at Wayne State and there are 9 of us here who will be coming next year to pharm school. And I'm definately up for some pool too Twins fan. Our class will hopefully be pretty close, next year should be challenging but hopefully we can make it fun too. I'll see you guys at the White Coat Ceremony in August. Have a good summer.