unofficial postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmukid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been doing an unofficial post bac. but i still have not received any interviews yet. So im wondering do you guys think their waiting for my fall grades before deciding or am i just screwed and probably gonna get rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this to raise your science grades? Or were you another major and need to finish your prereqs?

I've been doing post-bac for more than 2 years now since I took no biology or chemistry while getting my degree, and I've gotten offered interviews everywhere I applied. Chem, Physics, Bio, and O-Chem are done but I'm still doing Biochem and Microbiology currently. I don't think they care whether you're post-bac or not, as long as your admissions package is strong right now. If you haven't finished one of the science prereqs, they are just going to put more weight on your DAT scores and the rest of your academic record, and as a post-bac you should have plenty for them to evaluate.

If you are retaking classes as a post-bac to raise prior grades, then it could be an issue, but otherwise, I really doubt it's affecting you that much. If you were a bit late in submitting your application, that could have something to do with it, otherwise it may be your GPA or DAT scores. Many schools offer their first interview slots to the early applicants with the highest GPA and DAT scores, so if yours are more average or if you submitted late, you may just have to wait. There's plenty of time left though, I wouldn't give up hope yet. Many schools interview well into the new year, and a lot of schools haven't offered all of their pre-December slots out yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah im doing the post-bac to basically raise my science GPA. I took a lot of science classes in undergrads(probably more then i should have) and i didnt do too hot in some so i decided to take theses graduate classes. Im not retaking any of my undergraduate courses but taking some science classes like histology and neuroscience that dental and med school students take. I dont think its my DAT score(i got a 20 AA and 25 PAT) so if anything its probably my gpa. But im just wondering if this has happened to other people where schools waited until their fall grades to look at their applications.

If you are still using sdn, can I ask what your gpa was prior to the unofficial post-bac? I am also looking to do a post-bac. I am really confident that I will do well on my DAT but my gpa might hold me down.

I've been doing post-bac for more than 2 years now since I took no biology or chemistry while getting my degree, and I've gotten offered interviews everywhere I applied. Chem, Physics, Bio, and O-Chem are done but I'm still doing Biochem and Microbiology currently. I don't think they care whether you're post-bac or not, as long as your admissions package is strong right now. If you haven't finished one of the science prereqs, they are just going to put more weight on your DAT scores and the rest of your academic record, and as a post-bac you should have plenty for them to evaluate.

I'm at the beginning of your journey right now and if you are still on SDN I was wondering what your undergrad major was and where you did your post bac courses?

I'm a year out of undergrad and am going to be starting up post bac classes next fall... I was an Archeology and Broadcast Journalism dual degree, but even though I have a BS... only a couple of the anthro courses really apply and I just want to re-take the AP courses I had done in high school so I'm better prepared for the DAT! I'm just nervous about not being an ideal candidate and putting in a lot of work to not get in. My #1 pick would be WA since I live in WA and love it! :) Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

i have a low gpa as well and am probably going to look into post bac programs. Two of my friends are getting their masters instead of doing a post bac, is this a better alternative as oppose to post-bac programs?