unpaid research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating taking a research position at a very prestigious university this summer. The only problem is that I will not be getting paid. I kind of need money for the school year for various luxuries/necessities, so I'm not sure if its worth working 5 days a week for nothing. And, I highly doubt I will get anything published considering I will only be there for 3 months. Any thoughts? I am extremely interested in this certain area of research, but my parents don't give me any money over the school year, so I'm not sure. There is also good potential for a very solid letter of recommendation. If I do not take this job, I have another high-paying job waiting, but its not medical related, nor am I particulary interested in it.

Members don't see this ad.

You should check with your school. I know my school would give out grants (~2-3k) to students doing unpaid summer research. Although it might be a little late to apply for this kind of thing.

You mean I can call my university up (the university I am working at over the summer is not the one I am currently at) and ask them to give me money to do research? neato!

u can probably arrange to get credits for it (either counted towards the summer semester or fall semester..just talk to the project manager about this)...as for jobs, u can work part time or fulltime while working on the research project(find a flexible job like waiter/waitress or retail)..totally doable