"Unprofessional" Interests/Hobbies?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo_SK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel a little idiotic asking this, but what are the dos and don'ts of what to put under Interests/Hobbies in the application? I already have medical related experiences, along with plenty of interests. Question is: are my interests acceptable to put on the application? For example, I love learning lyrics to classic songs. I can rap Ice Ice Baby and Baby Got Back. Would this be ridiculous to put on the application? I mean it helps me de-stress, along with baking and cooking while singing...I'm also a huge STL cardinals fan and attend many games..i love reading and collecting/ learning quotes, especially classic books and fan fictions of my favorite tv shows. I just don't want to put something "unprofessional" on the application that is irrelevant.
Once again, I know this is kinda dumb, but I'm totally unsure about this.

Members don't see this ad.

troll thread plz delete

Yes, please for the love of God put "I can rap Ice Ice Baby" on your application. A screenshot of that would make me so happy.

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel a little idiotic asking this, but what are the dos and don'ts of what to put under Interests/Hobbies in the application? I already have medical related experiences, along with plenty of interests. Question is: are my interests acceptable to put on the application? For example, I love learning lyrics to classic songs. I can rap Ice Ice Baby and Baby Got Back. Would this be ridiculous to put on the application? I mean it helps me de-stress, along with baking and cooking while singing...I'm also a huge STL cardinals fan and attend many games..i love reading and collecting/ learning quotes. I just don't want to put something "unprofessional" on the application that is irrelevant.

Use a little common sense... you don't have to give every detail, and you don't have to pretend that you are only interested in certain approved hobbies.

"I like singing, attending sports events, reading, etc" is fine.

Breaking into "I like big butts and I cannot lie..." during your interview would probably be a bit much. If they ask what you like to sing, just say that you are really into older pop music and leave it at that. No one really cares about all the finer details... they are just trying to make conversation and find out what distinguishes you from all the other applicants. I'm sure that there are better answers to that question than your rap skills, so don't focus in on those. You aren't going to "lose points" for mentioning them... just waste an opportunity to share other, more pertinent information.

I feel a little idiotic asking this, but what are the dos and don'ts of what to put under Interests/Hobbies in the application? I already have medical related experiences, along with plenty of interests. Question is: are my interests acceptable to put on the application? For example, I love learning lyrics to classic songs. I can rap Ice Ice Baby and Baby Got Back. Would this be ridiculous to put on the application? I mean it helps me de-stress, along with baking and cooking while singing...I'm also a huge STL cardinals fan and attend many games..i love reading and collecting/ learning quotes, especially classic books and fan fictions of my favorite tv shows. I just don't want to put something "unprofessional" on the application that is irrelevant.
If you're not comfortable putting it out there, then don't do it.

What positive quality do you think "rap Ice Ice Baby", "collecting/learning quotes", and watching tv portray about you as an applicant?

I actually do wonder about this as well...I never put down much of what I actually like to do with my free time, despite that I'm passionate about it and have pursued it for years. I always wondered how adcoms view people who are open about hobbies that aren't what you may expect from a premed student or don't go with the flow of an application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I actually do wonder about this as well...I never put down much of what I actually like to do with my free time, despite that I'm passionate about it and have pursued it for years. I always wondered how adcoms view people who are open about hobbies that aren't what you may expect from a premed student or don't go with the flow of an application.

I can't see how it can hurt you if you have invested a significant amount of time in it, it's unique, and it defines an attractive part of you.

Everyone and their mother watches tv and sings along to their favorite tunes. I'm not sure that's a great thing to put on an application if you're trying to distinguish yourself from other applicants.

If you're not comfortable putting it out there, then don't do it.

What positive quality do you think "rap Ice Ice Baby", "collecting/learning quotes", and watching tv portray about you as an applicant?
That's the thing: I'm not sure if it would be viewed "positive"? But it is part of my interests and hobbies. I guess putting something like that would show some unique aspects of myself that aren't medically related

Yes, please for the love of God put "I can rap Ice Ice Baby" on your application. A screenshot of that would make me so happy.
Bahaha I can't tell if you are serious about this.... however, you wouldn't believe the amount of time I've spent perfecting my rapping to this song. especially baby got back.

@Holmwood I guess it wasn't worth it to me to risk being viewed unfavorably. I hunt deer, and I also have trained and hope to compete in defensive pistol shooting matches. Guns and handguns specifically are such a politicized topic that I felt compelled to keep my application bland rather than talk about something important to me. I never did have the guts to ask anyone here before doing my primary apps and I guess in the long run it wasn't that important. However, as I prepare for potential reapplication I really wonder how that would be viewed from an adcom perspective

Bahaha I can't tell if you are serious about this.... however, you wouldn't believe the amount of time I've spent perfecting my rapping to this song. especially ice ice baby.
He's known to be sarcastic. Just look at his username.
@Holmwood I guess it wasn't worth it to me to risk being viewed unfavorably. I hunt deer, and I also have trained and hope to compete in defensive pistol shooting matches. Guns and handguns specifically are such a politicized topic that I felt compelled to keep my application bland rather than talk about something important to me. I never did have the guts to ask anyone here before doing my primary apps and I guess in the long run it wasn't that important. However, as I prepare for potential reapplication I really wonder how that would be viewed from an adcom perspective

People have put marksmanship/hunting as hobbies before. But I'm not sure how this would jive with the adcoms who are passionate about gun control and animal rights. . .

So overall, it's hard to tell. Try to be as "interesting" as possible and you might risk offending your reviewer (ex. pole dancing for vets) .
Try to be as "safe" as possible and you might come across as a boring person.

That's the thing: I'm not sure if it would be viewed "positive"? But it is part of my interests and hobbies. I guess putting something like that would show some unique aspects of myself that aren't medically related
At least try to spice things up is my advice, but I'm not an adcom.

Rapping > Rapping at local competition/conventions
Watch Tv Shows > 90's TV Show enthusiast/collector
Sleeping > sleep study participant for multiple clinical trials (I don't even know...)

That's exactly why I generally leave it out. I do love it, I'm at the range at least once a week, and my grandfather and I still hunt together every year. It's an awkward spot to be in, and I feel like I'm being less than genuine when I don't mention it. However, usually in interviews I pick something else to highlight.

That's exactly why I generally leave it out. I do love it, I'm at the range at least once a week, and my grandfather and I still hunt together every year. It's an awkward spot to be in, and I feel like I'm being less than genuine when I don't mention it. However, usually in interviews I pick something else to highlight.

This reminds me of that old thread couple months ago where someone wanted to put "winning a dance competition" in their AMCAS application.

Seems great right? Except this dance competition was in a furry convention. Being a fursuiter was a big part of that poster's identity, I think... but other posters mentioned the public perception of furry conventions which tend to be... not so great. So it was recommended to just put "dance competition" I think and leave out furry convention.

I certainly remember that exchange, I guess my takeaway from it was to try and tone down the more controversial aspects of oneself.

I haven't begun applying yet but I know a lot about job applications. I'd say to put down that you enjoy baking, singing, classic literature and spectator sports.

Hope I can write my League of Legend tier as my achievement in the application :D

Hope I can write my League of Legend tier as my achievement in the application :D
Come on, bronze 4 isn't good enough for med school

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If you played on a professional level, is it now considered professional? Lol