Unsolicited Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if adcoms accept and consider unsolicited updates? I graduated from college in May and soon after submitting AMCAS was offered a full-time position as an operating room tech for this year. Since my clinical experience is probably the weakest part of my application, I think that this new job could strengthen my chances significantly. Some medical schools' secondaries make it convenient to add such updates (e.g. Dartmouth, Vermont, Yale), but others do not. Should I send a letter explaining my plans for the year to those schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Trajan
Does anyone know if adcoms accept and consider unsolicited updates? I graduated from college in May and soon after submitting AMCAS was offered a full-time position as an operating room tech for this year. Since my clinical experience is probably the weakest part of my application, I think that this new job could strengthen my chances significantly. Some medical schools' secondaries make it convenient to add such updates (e.g. Dartmouth, Vermont, Yale), but others do not. Should I send a letter explaining my plans for the year to those schools?

Thanks!

I'd imagine it couldn't hurt?

-RA

Absolutely!! Schools want you to keep them updated on any significant events in your life that have happened since you submitted AMCAS. You can (and should) update your app whenever necessary. Good luck!! :)

You can draft a form letter that you can attach to all your 2ndaries. Just make sure you change the address, though. I've found this has helped me to wrap up loose ends, like specific requirements for LOR's or prerequisites. I put everything into one letter so that I won't have to keep mailing updates to my entire school list.