UNT Biomedical Sciences ** Attention Old Man Dave **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Satellite

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMD I believe you are in Texas...yes/no?

Anyone have any info about the MS in Biomedical sciences program at The University of Northern Texas? Entry stats? gpa? GRE? etc. Any help in getting into UNT DO school?

How about the accpeptance rates for MD/DO schools in Texas. The price is right if you are a resident.

Thanks,

Satellite

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I'm right in the midst of this mess they call Dallas/Ft Worth...what a pain in the @$$!!!!

You know, I have no idea about any of UNT's programs...you do know they are the Univ that runs TCOM? I attend, correction...I will grad from UT Dallas. I'll see if I can run down a phone number or something for you on UNT's MS programs.

Acceptance rates at the UT med schools...I don't think they publish them, except UTSW. They will do anything to run their flag up a pole. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent school; but they have a major inferiority complex vs. Baylor.

All the state funded schools [all of them except Baylor] are required by TX law to have 90% of their entering class to be TX residents. Baylor usually hovers around 75% TX residents.

I hope this helps..oh yeah, way cheap too!! I think fees, tuition, etc all for less than 9 grand/year. Hell of a deal!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Thanks Dave!

Yeah Texas seems to be a great state to go to medical school in if you are a resident.

Did you apply to any schools in Texas?

What is living in Dallas/Ft Worth Like?
Rent? etc...

Satellite

Members don't see this ad :)
UNT Health Science Center's Graduate School of Biomedical Science offers Master's and doctoral degrees in the following basic biomedical sciences: Anatomy and cell biology, integrative physiology, molecular bio and immuno, and pharmacology. They also have a new school of public health awarding MPH's, Dr.PH's, and Ph.D's in epidemiology if that's more up your alley. Call the grad school admissions office at 817-735-0258.

However, don't think that the graduate school is a "back door" to TCOM because it is not. Your chances for admission won't be significantly higher than if you earned a master's somewhere else. Grad students do apply to TCOM from time to time and sometimes they get in and sometimes they don't...

--dave

Satellite,

First, like drusso said, UNT grad school is NOT a backdoor to their med school. I know of another poster who just completed his MS in something there...and will prob be going to K'Ville. He's still awaiting TCOM's final decision. So, if that's your plan, ask "Mathews" before you committ to it.

I'm not a good person to ask about Dallas life cause I hate the place!! It will all depend on where your from and what you expect from life here.

The summers are BRUTAL...we're talking 1-teens w/o the heat index! it will be HOT before the end of May and stay that way until the end of Sept, or beyond. Traffic is beyond comprehension...nothing like driving to work with 5 million of your closest buds????? Rent is pretty high. Circa Ft. Worth is probably the cheapest part of the metro to live in.

Oh yeah, if you haven't been here...it's HUGE!!! Dallas and Ft. Worth are about 30 miles apart and there is nothing but concrete between them. It's flat and there are no trees...the people here think those ugly little shrubs [mesquite] are trees--->but they are wrong!! It it's not taller than the power lines, it ain't a tree!!!

On the other hand, there are all of the big city conveniences...more resteraunts per capita than any other US city. You can shop till you puke, not that you'll be able to buy anything as a med student. Hmmm, that's about it for positives
frown.gif

I hope this helps. Remember, my opinion is biased cause I hate living here, as does my wife. That's why we did everything possible to get out of Texas.

Oh yeah, the vast majority of the people are great, esp on the Ft. Worth end of the metro.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

It's cheaper in Fort Worth with a little better traffic, but just as hot and ugly as OMD describes...

UNTHSC/TCOM is a great school though and the osteopathic hospital and healthcare system are well known to locals. I just got a haircut and the woman was telling me how her OB/GYN is a DO and she loves him.

--dave

There are good and bad consequences that could result from choosing TCOM as a stepping stone to medical school by way of a Master's.
I'm sure you know that there aren't that many good schools that still offer a Master's. TCOM still has a Masters in Biomed Sci. but the graduate students are no longer able to take the medical courses due to the curriculum change. This was the only reason I came here. I think there are better places to be for graduate training. Whatever you do, don't waste those years as if you are just using it to get into med school. I have learned a tremendous amount about science and medicine by getting a Masters and doing research. When I say research I mean benchtime research. I don't mean doing literature searches.
4 or 5 graduate students apply to TCOM every year and about 2 or 3 get in. It can be a backdoor if you get to know the right people and you bust your ass in a lab during the time you are here. Don't tell anyone what your intentions are until you are close to graduation or until you know you have earned some good recommendations.

Oooooh, do I miss hills and REAL trees...what greenery there is here in No. TX will be burnt to a crisp by the end of June.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I can see it now Dave! You will be the only guy in the class who actually loves the 6 feet tall snow drifts in Kville.

Jon,

You nailed it on the head...I love the cold and the snow!! 6' of it...I've never experienced...but I'll give it a go!! The way I see it, I can always put more on to get warm. Besides, it's great sitting by the fire with your SO weather as well...on the other hand, you can only take so much off and you're still HOT. As for close companionship...you got to turn the A/C way down!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03