UNT CoP Inaugural Class Hopefulls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quiobole

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread for the new UNT CoP so I decided to create one. Anyone else planning to apply there?

Oh, and just a heads up for those who have been somewhat following them for the admissions process. They will not be using PharmCas for this first class cycle. They still haven't opened their application yet but here's a link where you can sign up for notifications: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/scp/admit_mail.cfm

I would love to talk with anyone also planning to apply here so we can begin this journey together! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty excited but am absolutely disappointed that they will not be using Pharmcas.It's just more hassle for us as I've already submitted and completed everything for pharmcas.

I think it would be nice to be in the dallas fort worth area for a few years. The only problem is I'm sure there will be rough patches and constant changes here and there since it is their first year and they are going through the whole accredidation process and that won't be fully completed until the first year graduates I believe. Or so you hope! =)

I haven't seen a thread for the new UNT CoP so I decided to create one. Anyone else planning to apply there?

Oh, and just a heads up for those who have been somewhat following them for the admissions process. They will not be using PharmCas for this first class cycle. They still haven't opened their application yet but here's a link where you can sign up for notifications: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/scp/admit_mail.cfm

I would love to talk with anyone also planning to apply here so we can begin this journey together! :thumbup:

I'm going to apply there this cycle! I totally forgot to have my pcat score sent there though since they aren't with PharmCas. I guess I would have to dish out 20 dollars to have it sent out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to apply there this cycle! I totally forgot to have my pcat score sent there though since they aren't with PharmCas. I guess I would have to dish out 20 dollars to have it sent out!

Thanks for reminding me ugh! It wouldn't have cost anything if they were using pharmcas!

Yea I'm going to have to do that too. :lame:

By the way, do y'all know what they mean by "business letterhead"?

"obtain three (3) letters of recommendation on business letterhead and should contain professional, verifiable emails (academic and/or worksite)"

Whatever it is, will it make the people that I ask for LORs from less likely to write me one? (Taking into account that they would already have to turn one in to pharmcas)

I am applying here but not for 2 years (just starting pre-reqs).I hope they are in pharmcas by then.

Yea I'm going to have to do that too. :lame:

By the way, do y'all know what they mean by "business letterhead"?

"obtain three (3) letters of recommendation on business letterhead and should contain professional, verifiable emails (academic and/or worksite)"

Whatever it is, will it make the people that I ask for LORs from less likely to write me one? (Taking into account that they would already have to turn one in to pharmcas)
Business letterhead would be professional stationary used that has e.g. school's name, place of business with address etc.

It would be really exciting to be the first graduating class of a new pharmacy school! I am applying to this school for sure.

I agree, it would definitely be exciting. Cheers :) .

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

It would be really exciting to be the first graduating class of a new pharmacy school! I am applying to this school for sure.

Yea I know!! Hopefully we'll all be able to reach the point in this process where we're looking for roommates on here lol

Finally another pharmacy school in the Sun Belt Conference!

They will not be using PharmCas for this first class cycle. They still haven't opened their application yet but here's a link where you can sign up for notifications.

There's a reason why they are not using PharmCAS this year. ACPE did not grant them an on-site visit for this year so they are trying to rush in the early half of next year to get everything approved. Since they are not yet accredited and approved, they cannot accept any applications.

I think it would be nice to be in the dallas fort worth area for a few years.

I can't believe people actually buy this. DFW, Texas in general actually, does not need another pharmacy school. Texas Tech already has a program in DFW that lets their students spend their last 2 years here. Additionally, schools like UT allow their students to do their last year rotations here if they chose to.

The only reason I see UNT to be popular is that people don't want to move to pursue their dreams or are bottom of the barrel students and believe their only chance is by applying to new schools.

Finally another pharmacy school in the Sun Belt Conference!

Mean green is actually not that mean at all. I don't see why they are wasting so much money to build that new stadium when their football team cannot even make it to a bowl game.

There's a reason why they are not using PharmCAS this year. ACPE did not grant them an on-site visit for this year so they are trying to rush in the early half of next year to get everything approved. Since they are not yet accredited and approved, they cannot accept any applications.

I can't believe people actually buy this. DFW, Texas in general actually, does not need another pharmacy school. Texas Tech already has a program in DFW that lets their students spend their last 2 years here. Additionally, schools like UT allow their students to do their last year rotations here if they chose to.

The only reason I see UNT to be popular is that people don't want to move to pursue their dreams or are bottom of the barrel students and believe their only chance is by applying to new schools.

I emailed them about accreditation and they were quite abrupt and somewhat rude about it.
"Our application has not been delayed. We have not been denied a site visit. We are proceeding forward with seating a class in August 2013."
Wow is that really the way you respond to someone who obviously found out that you were denied and yet is still interested in your school?

Not really sure why you're so against them. The fact of the matter is that either way you can't do anything about it lol. What is there to buy? Other schools yes you can do rotations there and you said it yourself, their last year or two but this is a school that is located SPECIFICALLY in that area so you will be there long term and you would think at least that the rotation sites will therefore be in that area.

Your final paragraph is pretty irrelevant and just makes you out to be an inflammatory troll. Isn't everyone's main dream to graduate pharmacy school and become a pharmacist in a location of their choosing? I personally would choose location close to home over a "higher ranked" school. A pharmacist at the end of the day is a pharmacist, no?

There's pros and cons to a new school that hasn't even been accredited yet, yes it's true but it is an exciting time and you know that all the equipment and technology will be new(ish?).

Members don't see this ad :)
There's pros and cons to a new school that hasn't even been accredited yet, yes it's true but it is an exciting time and you know that all the equipment and technology will be new(ish?).

I agree, this is nothing NEW as every pharmacy school has had to go through the SAME process so I see it as business as usual.

I emailed them about accreditation and they were quite abrupt and somewhat rude about it. "Our application has not been delayed. We have not been denied a site visit. We are proceeding forward with seating a class in August 2013."

Not really sure why you're so against them. Other schools yes you can do rotations there and you said it yourself, their last year or two but this is a school that is located SPECIFICALLY in that area so you will be there long term and you would think at least that the rotation sites will therefore be in that area.

Your final paragraph is pretty irrelevant and just makes you out to be an inflammatory troll. Isn't everyone's main dream to graduate pharmacy school and become a pharmacist in a location of their choosing? I personally would choose location close to home over a "higher ranked" school. A pharmacist at the end of the day is a pharmacist, no?

Whoa, I am actually not surprised you got an email back from them like that. Scroll down to page 3 and look at the bottom of the minutes of the last ACPE meeting. That should speak for itself. Keep in mind, their resubmission will not be reviewed until ACPE's next meeting in January 2013. Until then, they cannot legally be accepting applications. Like I said before, there's a reason why applications for UNTHSC Pharmacy are not available right now.

https://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/ReportofProceedingsJune2012.pdf

---

Why am I so against them you ask? There is just no NEED for them to open a pharmacy school in Texas since there are already 6 other schools. There just so happens to be a lot of WANTS for a pharmacy school in the North Texas area as you have just displayed for yourself. Nothing wrong with that. What is wrong however is them advertising that there is still a need for pharmacists in the DFW area and using that as their basis to build a new school. That could not be further from the truth since the area is practically saturated with pharmacists coming from UT, Tech, etc. Good luck going to a brand new school and finding a job once you graduate. :)

---

Sure, I agree that everyone on this board wants to attend pharmacy school and become pharmacists. A pharmacist is still a pharmacist at the end of the day, sure. That does not mean that they'll all be equal. Just look at TSU's admission stats. (Avg GPA = 3.38; Average PCAT = 43%) It's both disgusting and sickening. They are the worst school in the state for a reason. That news article about them a few years ago should explain for itself the average quality of students and its faculty there.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7621146

---

Actually, my last comment was not inflammatory at all. The comment I was commenting on was off topic and therefore has no relevance to its pharmacy school whatsoever. I do apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
I will also be applying to UNT when they start taking applications.

Texas Southern is ghetto. UNT is not Texas Southern. Far, far from it.

The DO/PA/grad schools in UNT FW have been around for a while and I have not heard a thing bad about them. To the contrary.

So I expect UNT will run their pharm school the same way. The founding dean they have sounds like a solid hire.

I don't understand why some people have this strange animosity toward UNT. Did they get rejected by their DO/PA school or something? (And no, I have zero interest in any med/PA/nursing career, only pharm/drugs and I have zero interest in living in Lubbock).

Does UNT COP do rolling admissions? Does it matter , in terms of admissions, if I apply earlier or as long as its before the deadline?

Does UNT COP do rolling admissions?

- It's a NEW school.

Does it matter , in terms of admissions, if I apply earlier or as long as its before the deadline?

- More than likely BEFORE the deadline.

I don't understand why some people have this strange animosity toward UNT.

Because there is absolutely no need to open a new pharmacy school in Texas. I remember TPA sending a letter to UNT concerning the opening of a 7th pharmacy school and the job saturation that is already taking place.

UNT's reply: "Lol wut?" except in somewhat more sophisticated words.

Additionally, a few prospective students voiced concerns that UNTHSC Pharmacy was not currently taking applications is because they were denied by ACPE for an on-site visit during their June meeting. Until this happens, they cannot accept applications and start recruiting students. The next ACPE meeting will not be until January 2013. Their response was one in anger and rejected any claims that ACPE did what it did even though it is clearly stated in their minutes.

All this points to is there are greedy people out there in the UNTHSC Pharmacy administration that are just in it for the money. Contrary to their beliefs 10 years ago, there is no need for a school of pharmacy in TX.

They still haven't opened up there application yet. Half the semester is almost over. This is getting kind of ridiculous. Has anyone heard anything from UNT about when they will open up there application?

-It opens up on 10/15, I attended the information session.

I don't understand why some people have this strange animosity toward UNT. Did they get rejected by their DO/PA school or something? (And no, I have zero interest in any med/PA/nursing career, only pharm/drugs and I have zero interest in living in Lubbock).

Its simple really. Many people feel pharmacy is already a saturated field. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that its UNT, its just the addition of another pharmacy school is no good, especially in Texas... I mean we already have like 6?

The application is opening up today right? I checked the web site and no application is up.

-Lol, calm down. It is only a quarter past 8 am CST. I'd say if they don't have it up by this afternoon then contact them.

-Lol, calm down. It is only a quarter past 8 am CST. I'd say if they don't have it up by this afternoon then contact them.

lol, my bad. just want to finish this application ASAP.

KlassyJ, where all are you applying? Thanks for answering all of my questions about UNT, lol

lol, my bad. just want to finish this application ASAP.

KlassyJ, where all are you applying? Thanks for answering all of my questions about UNT, lol

- I'm applying to 12 school's total including this one. Everywhere from Texas up through the east coast.

- I'm applying to 12 school's total including this one. Everywhere from Texas up through the east coast.

I'm applying to 20 schools.

The schools in Texas are UNT, Incarnate Ward, UT, TSU, A&M, and UH.

Everything else is all over the nation. Spread out everywhere.

- Nice, well wishes during the application cycle.

I just called them, they said it will be put sometime this month, didn't say it would be today, not specifically today, they just said the application would be put up sometime this month.

Online application is up! I completed the application! It took a long time, but finally done with it.

Ok so i took the PCAT 3 yrs ago and pcatweb is asking me $20 to view it and an additional $20 to send it to UNT. i dont have the hard copy to fill out for the online application. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do at this point?

I will be applying. I actually looked at this school for a MS last year.

Ok so i took the PCAT 3 yrs ago and pcatweb is asking me $20 to view it and an additional $20 to send it to UNT. i dont have the hard copy to fill out for the online application. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do at this point?

try calling PCAT web, see if they can waive the charge for sending a PCAT hardcopy.

so what are everyones stats as far as GPA and PCAT score. Im debating on whether i should apply or not. I dont know what to expect since they're accepting only 80 students. This is the only school that i'll be applying to and my stats arent that good.

UNT is so bad at picking up there phone, seems like they are never in there office, really frustrating when you have a question yet they don't pick up.

Anytime I had a question and I emailed UNT about it, they just referred me to their FAQ section LOL. I don't think they really like answering questions...

UNT is so bad at picking up there phone, seems like they are never in there office, really frustrating when you have a question yet they don't pick up.
their, there, they're

79305643408845735_dMm53AJY_c.jpg

The only reason I see UNT to be popular is that people don't want to move to pursue their dreams or are bottom of the barrel students and believe their only chance is by applying to new schools..

You are correct. I didn't want to move away from Dallas, so I put off my career goals for 10 years.

Now I've just submitted my application to UNTHSC, and will be applying to Creighton's distance program. Excited.

Not too thrilled that UNT isn't accepting January PCAT scores... Had to submit my semi-embarrassing 3 year old scores. So, here's to hoping to compete with bottom of the barrel students! :)

On UNT's application, when you enter the pre-requisites, are you supposed to put the TCCN or your respective school's course number? For example, I took M 408C (calculus) at UT Austin, and the TCCN for that is MATH 2417. Do I put M 408C or MATH 2417 under the course number column? Only reason I ask is because most of UT Austin's TCCN's don't match with UNT's required TCCN's, and I don't want the person who reviews my app to think I don't have my pre-reqs.

I was also wondering how you would enter in labs for the courses like ochem, bio, gen chem, etc., if the labs were counted separately from the lectures. It doesn't give you the option to enter in multiple courses, and I received different grades in most of my labs as compared to the lectures.

On UNT's application, when you enter the pre-requisites, are you supposed to put the TCCN or your respective school's course number? For example, I took M 408C (calculus) at UT Austin, and the TCCN for that is MATH 2417. Do I put M 408C or MATH 2417 under the course number column? Only reason I ask is because most of UT Austin's TCCN's don't match with UNT's required TCCN's, and I don't want the person who reviews my app to think I don't have my pre-reqs.

I was also wondering how you would enter in labs for the courses like ochem, bio, gen chem, etc., if the labs were counted separately from the lectures. It doesn't give you the option to enter in multiple courses, and I received different grades in most of my labs as compared to the lectures.

I put my university's course number....as far as the labs that are taken separate from the lecture course...I was told to put the grade for the lecture. They will look at your lab grade when they receive your official transcript.

Did anyone get an email that' said this ---

Please review the following clarification on our website regarding a minimum overall 2.50 GPA on prerequisite coursework:

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/scp/admission.cfm

If you elect an exemption for general education prerequisite requirements based upon a completed bachelor’s (or higher) degree from an accredited U.S. College or university, then only your math and science prerequisite coursework will be included in the GPA calculation.

What do you think it means, what should you do if you do have a bachelors degree?