Unt gsbs 2012-2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsc149

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yal, 2012 matriculate to UNT GSBS here.

Anyone else out there?

Traffic is miserable to and out of Fort Worth, going to plan living situation wisely.

Also some questions about the process.
I heard that most apply to med-school during the fallmester, does one have to retake the MCAT while taking rigorous courses at the same time? I heard that an MCAT course will be given... so that may answer my question, but it still persists.

I was talking to a guy who knows a guy that said that once most students get accepted, they drop the program. Is that a wise decision to make? Med-schools can't rescind their offer... but It would be cool to have a masters and to finish out courses you may be taking again as a first year especially if you plan to go to TCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

I have completed my application to GSBS program and am waiting on a decision. How long did you have to wait from when your application was complete until you were notified of a decision?

I went to the open house on Feb 18, and if you have below a 28 on your MCAT then you have to take the MCAT prep course over the summer along with some other classes and then you will take the test in August.

I completed mine in January, so it went pretty quick. Keep an eye on your myunt or call the school to get your ID so you can check. There is no interview process and if they accept you then you will get an email.

After I finished everything in mid Jan, I got a response early Feb

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yal, 2012 matriculate to UNT GSBS here.

Also some questions about the process.
I heard that most apply to med-school during the fallmester, does one have to retake the MCAT while taking rigorous courses at the same time? I heard that an MCAT course will be given... so that may answer my question, but it still persists.

I was talking to a guy who knows a guy that said that once most students get accepted, they drop the program. Is that a wise decision to make? Med-schools can't rescind their offer... but It would be cool to have a masters and to finish out courses you may be taking again as a first year especially if you plan to go to TCOM.

Current Med Sci here, TCOM acceptance in hand:

The MCAT class is given by Princeton Review so they have that schedule of 4 hours in class 4 days a week. It takes place during the summer and ends late July/ early August. Most people who take the class sit for the MCAT sometime during the 2 weeks off between the Summer and Fall. The only class required in the summer is Biostatistics (Tues/Thurs 5:30-8:30). Biochemistry (MWF 8-9:30) is optional and has a reputation to be somewhat basic... I didn't take it.

I don't think most people drop the program. I'm sure there are others, but I know of one... and she left the program for reasons outside her medical school admission. I don't believe that is a wise decision to make because medical schools CAN rescind their offer. For TCOM their acceptance agreement states something along the lines of "if you don't complete a degree program that you said you would on your application, your file is subject to review and possible cancellation." I don't know if it's like that everywhere, but it is at TCOM

Wow, thanks for the info.

On the lines of Fall and Spring (so far) semester, how rigorous is the curriculum? Is it true that it is comparable to a First year curriculum?

Wow, thanks for the info.

On the lines of Fall and Spring (so far) semester, how rigorous is the curriculum? Is it true that it is comparable to a First year curriculum?

Comparable? I guess. I can't really comment with any real certainty until next year this time. I was told by a higher-up administrator back in November that 8 of the top 10 students in the 2nd year TCOM class are MedSci graduates. And I think it's common for MedSci's to study less in 1st year at TCOM than non-MedScis. We don't cover as much clinical stuff, but I would say we cover most of the material to a comparable extent as TCOM. Anatomy seems to be very similar.
I keep mentioning TCOM because they are the only school I am familiar with.

But you'll have to get someone who is more familiar with the 1st year curriculum on here. Honestly, I don't know if they do a systems based learning or whatever. I've been told, I just don't remember.

I know that the admission committee does not notify if one is on the waitlist but I am assuming I am.... My application was completely roughly 4 weeks ago and I have not heard anything nor has my status changed online. Do you think I'm right in this assumption or is it a little premature?

Last year I submitted my application 1/18 and was accepted by e-mail 3/18.

The semester does not start till May, so you still have enough cushion to ward off worry. If you are borderline competitive then they will call you in for an interview. I got in quick because I finished my application in Jan. The bulk of people would have applied in Feb because of rejection letters from medical schools, so I would anticipate a later acceptance/rejection till probably April.

Make sure you have a plan C to boost resume if you do not get in.

Hi there,

I applied around mid-Jan too and I have not heard anything. I called to verify if my application was complete, just in case I had anything missing. I still have not received any reponse or status change. Argh, I am freaking out by now.

Call again and speak directly to them.

I just sent in everything this week, but I have not received an e-mail entailing my log in details to check the status of my application? Also, what are everyone's stats for this program that got accepted?

22 mcat , 3.4 gpa, tons of ecs, 3+ years of hospital exp in ER & OR

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last week and sent an email asking about this. They told me it would be 2-3 weeks until my application was fully processed and I got my EUID.

Ah thank you for that answer, I was really worried. Hopefully I get accepted. Went out of state for college and still kept my texas residency, so the chance to go back here for ultra-savings would be amazing.

Are people here looking for roommates at all?

Also, how did you guys find out about your acceptance?

my.unt.edu first. little green dot next to my status said I was admitted, had deadline of about 3 weeks to accept. Then I got an email. Of which I replied with intent to matriculate. Then called them to make sure they got the email because it was getting close to deadline. They are really getting hammered by applications. They do not have a seat limit, it is just like a normal grad program except for the mcat and a resume that shows a motivation for the medical field.

I submitted my application 1/17 but was complete 2/14 and could receive my EUID and everything. But I haven't had any change to the green dot beside my application status denoting a completed application. I called and tried to press for the status of my application but was unsuccessful to find anything out. My stats are 22 mcat, 3.3 gpa, 150+ hrs of volunteering and shadowing, in state. I'm assuming I'm waitlisted and pursuing other options with the hope of somehow getting in to the medsci program. Its frustrating they won't tell if you're on the waitlist or not.

Go to the admissions drop down and check your application status to make sure it is complete. Hopefully you have all your LORs, check, and what not in, just double check. Remember the deadline is extended to April 1st, so if you are missing anything you have time. If you haven't sent your transcripts, have them faxed by your school.

Call them again and have them see if you are missing anything.

to any of the current medsci's on this thread... how important is attendance at orientation? I have a trip planned and am trying to see if missing part of the mandatory orientation would be possible.

It's important. Just call them to see what you should do. I am assuming you got in.

Nope. Not in yet but since it's my first option I want to plan for it.

has anybody heard anything from the medsci program?

^^ not yet, sent in my app right before the deadline, so this thursday marks the 3 week processing date. But it would be nice to hear back tomorrow :)

I'm still contemplating the strength of this program however...it has a huge class - isn't that more competitive so to speak to gain admission to TCOM? Not to mention, how strong is it for the TX MD schools?

*JSC149*

You got in with a 22 on your Mcat? I am scoring around there and would pay you to tutor me. I really want to go go to TCOM in 2013. How can we start a private room?

I applied on 2/18 and did not have a "completed" status until 3/29, and am still currently waiting on an acceptance/rejection notice. They told me they were running a month behind with just processing the applications, but that was more realistically 5 weeks, so don't worry if it seems like its taking a while. I called the admin office and they wouldn't give me a time frame for looking at applications once they were completed, so I suppose we're still in the dark about that.

I know everyone else is worrying too, but if anyone can give any advise regarding what I should do if this doesn't pan out, I would greatly appreciate the help.
My stats: MCAT: 26, GPA 3.1, ect, 2-3 clinical experience, California resident with parents in Texas, Texas address for mail....

Hey guys, I just wanted to say I finally got my EUID today, 5 weeks after submitting my app. So if you haven't gotten yours yet, it's probably on its way.

Great, by that logic, I'll get mine April 19th...

If they are running behind, just keep your head up and think about how you can boost your resume and MCAT scores.

I learned from my mistake of turning my medschool application in on the last day of the deadline and turned in my Medsci app immediately after it opened. Who knows, if I was more punctual, with years of clinical and hospital experience and a decent GPA, if I would have gotten an interview at a medschool.

If you do not get in this year and you are working a full time job and married like me, study for your MCAT. Save up vacation time and sign up for an MCAT class. Lean out your extracurricular time and fill it with studying. Listen to audio osmosis on your commute. Put down the Hunger Games for your light reading and review over a chapter. Cut out all gaming as an excuse for a break in studies and go for a run ( I got lost in hours of League of Legends just for a break (probably the reason why I got a 22) DO NOT GAME). DO NOT THINK THE MCAT WILL GIVE YOU A BREAK ON OCHEM, IT WILL NOT, I REPEAT IT WILL NOT... lol, I paid dearly.

Some studies have shown that retention of materials is best when studying before bedtime. Try it out. Eat healthy... the list goes on and on. Just google.

This program will get anyone's foot in the educational and medical door. Get out of the daily grind and straight into a conducive studying environment. Required MCAT class with princeton for the summer is a chance to learn from past mistakes.

Any questions?

Congrats CCEMTP. Make sure you get your meningitis shot or exemption and your immunization records (hate doing that, too bad I work in a hospital; took 5 minutes)

CCEEMTP when did you apply/when were you complete?

How did you apply for the med-sci program? Apparently it's a completely different application from the biomed program, but the only application I found was for the biomed program. I had to e-mail admissions to have my application transferred to the med-sci program. Just a heads up in case anyone else may have applied to the biomed program with the intention of applying for med-sci.

Make sure you apply for the one that starts in the summer for those bound for med school cause I did for the one in the fall and they switched me over after I called about the application opening.

What/where is this green dot I read about earlier in the thread?
@Sahren: when you sign-in there are 3 tabs up top, click the middle one that says HSC admissions.
then go to the link in the middle that says Student Center and at the bottom there is going to be a green dot or check saying the current app status.

I applied 2/24/12, got my ID a month later, got accepted today 4/13.....Dont worry too much gopokes...i think they are running a little behind...its easy for me to say....but see if you can make a visit to the school, it really helps to make sure all your paper work is on file...

I was accepted to the program today (04/13) as well. I submitted my application late February, and I received my EUID on 03/30. I called the admissions office right before I received my EUID, and they said they were being flooded with applications so it takes a while to process. Keep your head up, no news isn't necessarily bad news.

Accepted today! I submitted the application Feb. 22 recieved EUID April 2 and learned of my acceptance April 13.

Accepted today (4/13)! Submitted my application on Feb 17th.

Having looked into a lot of programs, does anyone else find it a little strange that they don't require any form of interview? Kind of makes it seem like they aren't too selective. Not sure what that says about the program.

Having looked into a lot of programs, does anyone else find it a little strange that they don't require any form of interview? Kind of makes it seem like they aren't too selective. Not sure what that says about the program.

I think it is more of a matter of time. The application is due Mar.15 and the program starts ~2 months later, which gives them about 4-6 weeks to make an admissions decision. There is just no way.

Before the green dot...what did the character look like? An (*) by any chance???? Congratulations to those accepted!:)

Congrats on acceptances! On the application status page what does the program box indicate? Is it supposed to say medsci or something of that nature? Just double checking

I applied 2/20, got my login about 3/30 and was accepted 4/10. Stats are 3.2 gpa, 28 MCAT, lots of EC's (7+ years as firefighter/paramedic + research and publications). Hoping this program will make up for my crappy gpa. Best of luck to y'all, hope to see all of you soon!

Mine just says graduate school of biomedical sciences, and specifies the term as summer 2012, but I don't see that it says Med Sci. Is this what you are trying to figure out?
unt-medsciapp-post.jpg

Doesn't it seem like this program accepts way too many people? If the postbacc class is 150+, what % do you think is actually going to get a TCOM acceptance? Even if half the class gets a 3.9+, surely TCOM won't accept 75 people...

Yeah thats how mine looks... I just wasn't sure if that was correct or not!

It may seem a lot, but not everyone gets a 3.9 and not everyone goes to TCOM. I read about 40 matriculate to TCOM, about 8 got to a&m and then I'm sure a bunch go to other osteo schools too. UNT is pretty high up for osteo schools so they probably look favorably on this program. And then there have to be a few students that go to other Texas schools as well. Of course not everyone gets in to med school somewhere bc they do not do stellar in the program. True...a 3.5 in med sci won't make up for a uGPA less than that...so no matter what u still have to do awesome if you want a shot at any med school...which is pretty much how it goes in the first place...even without the med sci program.

From what I understand from talking to current Med Sci students, classes are pretty hard, esp the Fall semester. However the grading is a little forgiving (since it is unofficially a post bacc) compared to TCOM. So i think 3.5 is amazing and not the average.