Unt gsbs 2012-2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Those students who complete the yearlong program with a minimum of a 3.5 GPA, score at least 20 on the MCAT, and have acceptable interviews with faculty will be considered for admission into TCOM during a special meeting of the admissions committee."

I just wonder how doable a 3.5 GPA in the program is. The article didn't say much on GPAs in the actual med sci program (as far as I could tell). With that as the cutoff though, I would think that a 3.5 is difficult to get.
Ok, I see what you mean. I took some time to look at what you actually need to accomplish and it is really not that bad. If you look at the chart below it has all of the classes listed that you will be taking during the program. If you make a "B" in all of the science courses and an "A" in all of the non-science courses you will end up with a 3.45 GPA. An "A" in any one of the sciences would bump you over the magic 3.5 GPA that you will need to get an interview. One "C" and you are sunk though.
UNT-MEDSCIPOTENT.jpg

(G PTS is the product of hours and points you would get for each grade. You will not get any points for the MCAT course or the Intro BioChem)
However I think that getting B's in all of the science courses will not look very good on your application. This is more of an example to show that it is not impossible to do well in the program.
The portion below is from their web site and I sited the link below it.

Program Success
"This program has been very successful in assisting student to better their chances for acceptance into medical school. In the class that graduated in 2009, 88% of students who matriculated graduated with a Master of Science degree. Eighty-one percent of these were successful in gaining admission into medical school at UNT Health Science Center, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas Tech University Health Science Center at El Paso, Texas A&M University Health Science Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, in addition to several out of state schools."
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/catalog/2011-2012/94-Medical%20Sciences%20Premedical%20Program%20.htm

Last edited:
Submitted 3/15, got my login 4/9, Accepted 4/20

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called a week before to check that everything was recieved (which they had) and that they are still processing my app in order to send me my login because they were behind.

So you got accepted first before knowing your login?

No I meant I called a week before I actually got my login (like 4/2) just to check all of my things were recieved and the lady told me my application was complete and being processed in order to get me a login, which came a week later (4/9) in my e-mail.

How big is this class again?

Just wanted to answer a couple of questions that I thought could use some clarification or input from a current student. The current class, finishing in a couple of weeks, started at 186. I was told that this is approximately the range that they wanted this program to grow to. So there shouldn't be exponential growth like what has been seen over the past few years. I guess it could be smaller though.

I don't know what the previous years' acceptance numbers have been, but a couple weeks ago I heard from another student that there were about 30 accepted (pre-match and Feb1) to TCOM from MedSci and they were planning on taking another 30, 60 total. So at that point they were about half-way thru with extending offers.

To receive an interview from TCOM all you have to do is apply and be in good academic standing in the program (which means no C's). The admissions committee has access to every test grade applicants make in the program. So they know if your B is an 89.4 or a 80. I think I heard that they rank us, make a list so your 89.4 is better than my 89.3. Class average on tests seem to be in the low to mid B range... but that's me trying to average averages. Seemed to be lower in the fall, spring has been more mid to higher B. Honestly, I don't know if a 3.5 is above or below the average, but if so many people are making As, someone has to be pulling that average down.

However, I can cite multiple examples of the adage: grades aren't everything. Since you're applying to this program, I'm not going to lie to you and say they don't matter. That's not true. As you and I all know, they can keep you out of medical school. But I know many people in the program who have a higher GPA than me in the program, but they haven't been accepted yet. Some I can look at and say, "you haven't been accepted because you're a crappy person and it comes across in simple interactions." Others I look at and say, "the med school application process is kinda a crap shoot."

Oh, and Fall is hard/ miserable.

Again, I'm just a lowly student who hears much of this secondhand. Don't complain to Carla Lee or the admissions office or whoever if I have given you incorrect info.

Thanks NavinRJohnson for the info.

I had a general question for whoever wants to chime in. Would it be dumb NOT to apply to medical schools this cycle? I kind of want to wait until after the program to help out my application. I know I wouldn't be applying for the same med sci spots the next year, but I feel like doing well in this program would be helpful no matter when you applied.

From what I have heard on this question from others, it is generally advised to try to go directly into med school from this program because it serves as a good reference for the material you will see your first year, and it would suck to take a year off and forget a lot of the stuff you spent so much time learning. Ie all of the anatomy that you might forget in a year on not using it. Plus all that can happen is you get rejected and apply again the next year any way, yes it's expensive but in the grand scheme of the amour of money you will spend on medical school it's just a drop in the bucket. Anyway this is just my two cents.

Woop, got accepted yesterday. Not sure if attending since the ridiculous amount of people in this program.

Woop, got accepted yesterday. Not sure if attending since the ridiculous amount of people in this program.

So what are your other options?...did u apply to the UT Dallas certificate program too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the orientation last saturday and it was pretty cool learning more about the program. Statistics from the program show that 75% - 85% of students have been accepted into medical school. The curriculum is very rigorous and parallels that have first years to an extent. The summer is meant to prepare your MCAT through a princeton class if you scored 28 or below and there are workshops that help prep your application.

If you are vested in the program it will show up in your participation in the extracurricular s and your relationships with the faculty. The 75% is a very good statistic, and the other 25% is the people who think they can skate through the program for an easy out to medical school. IF you can do well, then you can handle the rigors of medical school... on top of that if you can juggle being part of the culture then you have connections on top of that.

So what are your other options?...did u apply to the UT Dallas certificate program too?

Hey, no I read the reviews about the UT-D program and it seemed fishy. I graduate college May 12, and it would be crazy to rush back home to Ft Worth and have to get loans, a house, books, car up to date on inspection, pack and move half way across the country, etc. in pretty much a week. How is everyone else doing it lol. I got into mississippi college, lecom, lmu-dcom, pcom-ga so far but will end up likely going to DCOM's post bacc :) If TCOM started in the fall or july would definitely do that.

You have a month and as for the number of students, that just makes top performers look better. If you have a program then it makes sense. Tcom structures its program for gsbs so that students matriculate to med school the following fall. Makes sure your program does so too

Ug I really like both. At DCOM's PMSP, I would take anatomy with the D.O. students, and possibly in the spring as well. But tuition is steep for both the program and the DO school :/ I wonder if I do well in this program if I could apply to TCOM's DO school as well. I plan on retaking the MCAT anyways so could have like a 3.4cgpa 26+ MCAT and keep my TX residency hmmm.

In the TCOM's GSBS program, you develop relationships with faculty at the school. If you do well in the program and stay involved, there should be little competition to matriculating to TCOM. They pretty much know you and your habits... a good showing in their own program makes you a "shoein'

Are classes with the post bacc kids all 184+ lecture hall setup?

So, mandatory orientation starts 23-25. Immunizations are due a week before the first day of class I believe (or orientation... double check). Loans are disbursed on the 21st (doesn't mean you get them immediately... more like 3-4 days later). You have plenty of time. Scope around for housing and set up look appointments before you come. Search this forum or what not for room-mates who can help decrease the burden. Books can be digital or not, that shouldn't really be of much concern. Your only concern should be housing which isn't needed to start school and maybe loans if you haven't completed your fafsa yet.

As for the lecture halls... they are pretty big and probably full during class... I don't know what concerns you may be having.

As for the lecture halls... they are pretty big and probably full during class... I don't know what concerns you may be having.

I was just wondering whether the post-bacc kids take classes together all the time for every posted class we take.

Anyone want to split the rent on a 2 bedroom house 12 minutes (by car) away from campus for June and July ($400 for you each month including utilities & internet)????

My fiancé an I live in Austin, she needs to stay till July and I need to be at UNT by May orientation...SO we cannot afford two rents at once, but we will need a house once she comes up in August.

I just need someone to help out for rent for June and July...May is on the house. (no pun intended). This can give you a chance to scope out the area for an apartment or something else for the the rest of the year.

PM me if you are interested!!! :):):) I will be in the DFW area fri-sun if you want to meet up and discuss.

ask a student, dont know, but probably, isn't that what med-school is like.

About 90% I'll be attending this now. :) Anyone know how many people might be in this class?

What is swaying you?

as for your question

do not know, guessing between 160-190... wild projection

Also remember, that the bigger the class, the better you look if you do well. The bell curve does well to determine medical school potential. Plus TCOM is a top program... should be a plus

What is swaying you?

as for your question

do not know, guessing between 160-190... wild projection

Fantastically economical in-state
Wonderful school
40 credit hour curriculum
Mandated MCAT course that I will have to take
TCOM/post-bac has a wonderful reputation - known probably across the US.
TCOM's classes will help tons down the road at medical school
And finally, the article they published detailing their success with the program is wonderful.
:thumbup:

why would you want to apply while attending this program? I'm assuming that every student that got accepted wanted to attend this program to boost their GPA, so isn't it better to apply after you complete this program? So that you can show the medical school your grades for this program.

why would you want to apply while attending this program? I'm assuming that every student that got accepted wanted to attend this program to boost their GPA, so isn't it better to apply after you complete this program? So that you can show the medical school your grades for this program.
I agree. People often choose to do a one-year post-bacc because it's less time between undergrad and med school. But to benefit from a post-bacc, you would need to wait until you complete the program to receive your grades before applying to med school. That would require you to take another year off before going to med school anyway. Or do you just apply during the program and your acceptance would be pending until you receive your final grades?

Most people in this program apply during the summer (so, this summer). As a part of the program, you compete for spots at TCOM that are specifically for the med sci students. As for other schools, you would send in updates of your grades as they come out, so mostly for the summer and fall classes. I think this works best if you're a borderline applicant who just needs a little boost to get into medical school. However, if you need more than a little boost or you wouldn't be completely happy going to TCOM, then waiting to apply might be best.

Agreed...you send your grades in the fall as they come in...in addition to already having your app in and mcat in. I know a few Medici students (2...okay not that many... that did this and got into tx med school...TCOM and a&m). SO don't wait a year if you don't have to! Apply while doing MCAT prep then send grades in as they come in the fall.

Did yal see the statistics... The majority of people apply during the school year and matriculate the following months after graduation. It would be dumb not to take advantage of their application workshops. The program is designed for you to apply during the school year so you can go the following fall with fresh first year knowledge. If you want to become q doctor, there should be no reason that you shouldn't have an acceptance letter and a masters degree at the end of the program.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

And to really answer your question, admissions committees are not ignorant of graduate programs in progress. You tell them you are currently attending one and are doing well (hopefully) and their decisions can depend on if you complete at the top or not... Because apparently they can rescind offers. Some people just get accepted with how well they were doing so far.... If not it didn't hurt them in the long run to take a chance on trying to get in a year earlier than if they waited to finish the program.

Technically you are hurting your chances, especially if you are trying to get into TCOM. Admissions is more likely to choose a student fresh from the program than a student who waited a year.

Why?

The knowledge is fresh and a huge advantage to the student. On top of that, that student juggled applying and a rigorous program, which shows dedication and focus.

Also, a fresh memory of the student to the faculty is N advantage also

Now this is comparing a fresh student to the one who waited. The program is a huge advantage on any application, and may place you on the top of the list.

Purely speculation...
Just logical that your chances of getting in are higher while applying during the program then waiting a year.

So you do agree. If you apply during the semester your chances of getting in are 1/4 (assuming there are at least 40 spots for med sci in a class of ~160). If you don't, then you are pooled into the thousands of apps outside the program. That is 1/1000+ chance. Your chances are hurt...

I would just rather go to a small program where nearly every student gets accepted to their linked medical school.

So what I am trying to say is that your chances are exponentially greater applying to tcom while in the program as opposed to just better when you wait a year...

But that is also coming off the assumption that there 'med sci' spots, of which is unofficial.

Um...not really. Because if you've done well in the program once, they know what you're capable of. It is their program after all, and if you graduated near the top of your class they'll remember when you apply right after the program ends. And as I said before, the med sci spot benefit only applies to people who's first choice school is TCOM. I think it depends on where you stand as a medical school applicant right now and what your goals are.

And premedsc19, that would be nice. But that would also be expensive haha.
It's actually not always expensive. Although the program at ATSU is two years, it's only $8000 (for both years, not each year) and you also get paid $6000 each year. I also heard that everyone from the program that has applied to their med school the previous two years has been accepted.

Thanks NavinRJohnson for the info.

I had a general question for whoever wants to chime in. Would it be dumb NOT to apply to medical schools this cycle? I kind of want to wait until after the program to help out my application. I know I wouldn't be applying for the same med sci spots the next year, but I feel like doing well in this program would be helpful no matter when you applied.
This is a question I had last year at this time as I was about to enter the program. Since I had applied the year before, I felt that my application had not "improved" enough beyond my intent to do this program and do well in it. I do know a couple people who decided to not apply, I don't have the bravery to ask them if they are glad they didn't apply... hindsight for me proves I'm glad I changed my mind and applied. I understand the argument and certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to apply if they didn't want to. It's just a decision everyone has to decide on their own looking at who they are as an applicant. It might be true that if you wait until all your scores are in, schools will be influenced by 40 hours of high GPA instead of 6. Decision you have to make; for me, I didn't want that to be the reason I spent another year out of med school.

It is a sliding scale question of how much your "intent to complete the program" or your summer/ early fall grades factor into decisions at other schools. Is an A in Biostats the reason Betty Sue got an interview at Tech in early September? Probably not. But people do get interviews in December after Biochem, Cell Bio, and those are possibly the result of good grades in the program. I think the question here is, does interviewing this late in the season put you at a disadvantage from waiting a year... and is it worth it?

It's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. Sure you won't have that 40 hours to back up your application, but you are in a well known feeding program. I, personally, want to attend TCOM, so this is the best of both worlds. Also, for other TX medschools, you are not the first med sci student to apply, and so there is a precedent to really look into students currently in the program whether they have 6 hours or 20. If it is true that medsci students tend to be top performers in med school, then admissions may as well treat you like you have the full 38-40 hours and send out an interview. It is during the interview that your (good) progress 1/2 way through the program will really make you stand out.

pure speculation, but lets be logical, you can't win if you don't play, just apply during the semester, what do you have to lose, a couple of bucks.

Is it right that this program has classes in blocks? If this is true, how many or which classes will students be able to complete before the TX medical schools' interviews are over? which I think is towards the end of December. Even though a student whom may have a sub 3.0 gpa and took only a few classes from this program, there's a chance they can still get an interview from TCOM and other TX medical schools?

Is it right that this program has classes in blocks? If this is true, how many or which classes will students be able to complete before the TX medical schools' interviews are over? which I think is towards the end of December. Even though a student whom may have a sub 3.0 gpa and took only a few classes from this program, there's a chance they can still get an interview from TCOM and other TX medical schools?

This past year, Biochem: 8/23-10/3; Cell Bio: 10/4-11/10; Immuno: 11/11-12/9; Anatomy is full semester in the fall.

JUST got accepted! applied 2/15/12, ID in mid-March. Time to pack up in California and move.

My status says I am wait listed and they will notify me if a spot opens up between now and before classes start. Anyone else have this?

Good luck to all incoming 2012 Med Sci. I graduated in the 2011 med sci class. Currently a 1st year about to become a 2nd year at TCOM. I can answer any lingering questions in my free time. From my experience, completing med sci made the transition to medical school much easier. The med sci in our class are near the top of the class. You will learn study skills that will help you succeed in med school. Be warned though, med sci is much more difficult compared to any undergraduate curriculum. For the sake of comparison TCOM's curriculum is just as difficult as med sci except you have about 2.5x more volume of material to learn.

Good luck to all incoming 2012 Med Sci. I graduated in the 2011 med sci class. Currently a 1st year about to become a 2nd year at TCOM. I can answer any lingering questions in my free time. From my experience, completing med sci made the transition to medical school much easier. The med sci in our class are near the top of the class. You will learn study skills that will help you succeed in med school. Be warned though, med sci is much more difficult compared to any undergraduate curriculum. For the sake of comparison TCOM's curriculum is just as difficult as med sci except you have about 2.5x more volume of material to learn.
What is the best way to arrange for a preceptorship?

How big is the class? I was accepted and invited to join the Facebook group and it seems that the class is huge. Anybody know how many students they accept? Also I saw in old post negative comments regarding the program. Is that still true or has the program improved?

What is the best way to arrange for a preceptorship?

Call local physicians in the area and ask them if you can shadow them. Many private practice doctors are unwilling to take students but the doctors that typically work in a low income clinic or a family medicine clinic as part of a hospital tend to take students. I ended up shadowing a doctor that works at JPS Viola Pitts in Fort Worth, TX.

How big is the class? I was accepted and invited to join the Facebook group and it seems that the class is huge. Anybody know how many students they accept? Also I saw in old post negative comments regarding the program. Is that still true or has the program improved?

My year had about 150 students. I know they increased the size of the class each year but from what I heard, the teaching has improved a little bit. The professors in my year weren't that great but we all still managed. You will need to find ways to become successful. Study the powerpoints, attend lecture, supplement powerpoints with review books, etc... The most helpful classes IMHO were physiology and anatomy. Those two classes really helped me prepare for med school. Looking back I am very glad that I spent a year getting through med sci. It has paid off dividends in med school.