UNT or UT-Houston

Started by Capstones
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Capstones

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings! I got into both programs and I am in a dilemma. This decision isnt easy to make. I went to Univ of Houston (originally from Dallas) and I have lived in Houston for 7 years. I am def tired of the Houston area. I just received notice that I got into UT-Houston and I need some advice. Anyone who has gone to both schools, I would love ur feedback!
 
Greetings! I got into both programs and I am in a dilemma. This decision isnt easy to make. I went to Univ of Houston (originally from Dallas) and I have lived in Houston for 7 years. I am def tired of the Houston area. I just received notice that I got into UT-Houston and I need some advice. Anyone who has gone to both schools, I would love ur feedback!

I have not attended either program, but have reviewed each program's website in some detail. I think UTH is clearly better than UNT as far as Public Health goes.
 
Greetings! I got into both programs and I am in a dilemma. This decision isnt easy to make. I went to Univ of Houston (originally from Dallas) and I have lived in Houston for 7 years. I am def tired of the Houston area. I just received notice that I got into UT-Houston and I need some advice. Anyone who has gone to both schools, I would love ur feedback!

It depends on your program of study. UNT is a much smaller school with fewer faculty, but they have a strong Community Health program, and a lot of interesting social/behavioral-type research projects within the Epidemiology department. Fort Worth is also a great city (all the amenities with a small town feel), but you'll find many more opportunities for work/research in Houston. You can also very easily find practicum/thesis projects in the Texas Medical Center if you're interested in infectious diseases, clinical-based research, or environmental science. I'm not sure about the health administration or biostatistics programs though (although I assume they are both pretty good).

Also, since UNT is right next to TCOM and the GSBS, I imagine you could probably find clinical-based work/research there that might interest you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on your program of study. UNT is a much smaller school with fewer faculty, but they have a strong Community Health program, and a lot of interesting social/behavioral-type research projects within the Epidemiology department. Fort Worth is also a great city (all the amenities with a small town feel), but you'll find many more opportunities for work/research in Houston. You can also very easily find practicum/thesis projects in the Texas Medical Center if you're interested in infectious diseases, clinical-based research, or environmental science. I'm not sure about the health administration or biostatistics programs though (although I assume they are both pretty good).

Also, since UNT is right next to TCOM and the GSBS, I imagine you could probably find clinical-based work/research there that might interest you.


Thank you Jet Dry. I actually got accepted into the Community Health Program. I spoke with a friend of mine who just completed her MPH and she informed me that UNT has a strong community health program. I know UT-Houston is a awesome program. I just wanted to make sure my decision was based on getting the best out of the program with my career intent. Thanks again 🙂