UNT Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millicent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was already mentioned, I tried to search but didn't find anything.

I heard that there is possibly going to be a pharmacy school at the University of North Texas Health Science Center... is there anyway I could get more info on that? Do you guys know for sure? I don't know where to search other than google. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, I tried to search but didn't find anything.

I heard that there is possibly going to be a pharmacy school at the University of North Texas Health Science Center... is there anyway I could get more info on that? Do you guys know for sure? I don't know where to search other than google. Thanks. :)

I don't know how close they are to gaining approval. I emailed the dean of the health sciece center a couple of years ago asking if they would have their school by this fall and he said that I shouldn't even consider their school because he didn't believe they would have one by fall '08. As it turns out, he was correct. I haven't heard anything else on their school. I did check their website a few months ago and nothing.

Hope it'll be open by 2010. Wouldn't mind having 7 schools to apply to.
gunsup.gif

Members don't see this ad :)

The UNT pharmacy school first class will be in 2013. :D

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/20110819-unt-board-approves-plans-for-regions-first-pharmacy-school.ece

I heard about this a few months ago. This school is going to be extremely competive to get in even for the inaugural class. The closest one to Dallas is Tech's branch in Abilene and there are ways that you can do your last 2 years in Dallas from either Amarillo or Abilene. However, there is no pharmacy school located in Dallas for the full 4 years. Since Fort Worth is driving distance from Dallas, this school will be very competitive to get in. Just want to give you guys a heads up before anybody thinks that this will be a cake walk since it's "another" new school in Texas.

I will be following the developments of this school very closely as many of my colleagues and prior professors are in Dallas and they may accept teaching/board positions.

North Texas is saturated with OU, SWOSU, Texas, and Tech grads. Why are they opening another school to compete with these four?

North Texas is saturated with OU, SWOSU, Texas, and Tech grads. Why are they opening another school to compete with these four?

I have no idea. I doubt being the first pharmacy school in North Texas has anything to do with it either. I am pretty sure this school planned on banking in the "pharmacist shortage" but did not want to give it up after investing too much money into it already. Besides, any school that says they are on the "fast track" to open a new pharmacy school = diploma mill or profit school.

I heard about this a few months ago. This school is going to be extremely competive to get in even for the inaugural class. The closest one to Dallas is Tech's branch in Abilene and there are ways that you can do your last 2 years in Dallas from either Amarillo or Abilene. However, there is no pharmacy school located in Dallas for the full 4 years. Since Fort Worth is driving distance from Dallas, this school will be very competitive to get in. Just want to give you guys a heads up before anybody thinks that this will be a cake walk since it's "another" new school in Texas.

I will be following the developments of this school very closely as many of my colleagues and prior professors are in Dallas and they may accept teaching/board positions.

I'm going to apply for a spot in the first class at this school, so I'm also interested.

From talking to a relative who works in the Legislature, there was never a question as to DFW getting a new pharmacy school. However, there was a long, protracted fight between UT Dallas and UNT over which one should get it.

UNT prevailed in the end because it would cost less to get a new school started at UNT - they already had a strong pharmacology dept in the graduate school at UNTHSC, plus they had just built a new med school building and there was extra room on campus, so the staffing and infrastructure was already in place.

Another reason is UNT had very powerful allies who basically steamrolled the Dallas state senator who rooted for UT Dallas.

Anyway, the UNT pharm school will be selective just like their other schools at UNTHSC. I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective in the U.S.

Last edited:

People from OU, SWOSU, and Texas going to Dallas is not the problem. This is basically saying you have people going to Houston from A&M Kingsville, Texas, and Incarnate Ward. Still, Houston has 2 schools, UH and TSU, within the city. Texas Tech only produces 40-50 grads in Dallas, so that is not a problem either. If Houston can afford to have 2 schools, Dallas/Ft. Worth can afford to have one main school. Yes, it is saturated right now....but situation in Dallas is not as bad as it is in Houston.

I'm going to apply for a spot in the first class at this school, so I'm also interested.

From talking to a relative who works in the Legislature, there was never a question as to DFW getting a new pharmacy school. However, there was a long, protracted fight between UT Dallas and UNT over which one should get it.

UNT prevailed in the end because it would cost less to get a new school started at UNT - they already had a strong pharmacology dept in the graduate school at UNTHSC, plus they had just built a new med school building and there was extra room on campus, so the staffing and infrastructure was already in place.

Another reason is UNT had very powerful allies who basically steamrolled the Dallas state senator who rooted for UT Dallas.

Anyway, the UNT pharm school will be selective just like their other schools at UNTHSC. I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective in the U.S.

Could not resist in responding to the last sentence in this post. UNT's medical school is a DO program. Even though it is one of the best DO programs in the US, it is still the LEAST selective medical school in Texas. The average was 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA last year. Even the new school in El Paso, the avg. was 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA for an MD program.

As for the first part of your post, University of Dallas, was going to get the first crack at it. It was supposed to be a $25 million project, but it got shut down in 2008 because of the financial crisis. I had not heard of UT Dallas's bid, but this is very interesting for me to say the least.

Could not resist in responding to the last sentence in this post. UNT's medical school is a DO program. Even though it is one of the best DO programs in the US, it is still the LEAST selective medical school in Texas. The average was 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA last year. Even the new school in El Paso, the avg. was 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA for an MD program.

As for the first part of your post, University of Dallas, was going to get the first crack at it. It was supposed to be a $25 million project, but it got shut down in 2008 because of the financial crisis. I had not heard of UT Dallas's bid, but this is very interesting for me to say the least.

The behind-the-scenes fight in the Legislature (and in the Higher Ed coordinating board) was over where to put another state-funded pharm school at a state-funded university and did not involve the Univ of Dallas.

I said nothing about MD schools. My statement "I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective in the U.S." meant "I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective DO school in the U.S." ("I understand this orange is considered the best in the basket" is usually not interpreted to mean "I understand this orange is considered the best apple in the basket".) But seriously, who cares about the MD vs DO thing? They're all doctors.

Last edited:
The behind-the-scenes fight in the Legislature (and in the Higher Ed coordinating board) was over where to put another state-funded pharm school at a state-funded university and did not involve the Univ of Dallas.

I said nothing about MD schools. My statement "I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective in the U.S." meant "I understand their DO school is considered the best and most selective DO school in the U.S." ("I understand this orange is considered the best in the basket" is usually not interpreted to mean "I understand this orange is considered the best apple in the basket".) But seriously, who cares about the MD vs DO thing? They're all doctors.

I do not wish to turn this into an MD/DO debate, but I guess I misunderstood what you said. I do think that MDs and DOs are equal, and this is why I said that it is the LEAST selective MEDICAL school. Your quote made it sound like it was one of the most selective MEDICAL schools in the country, which it is not. I put all the medical schools together, since "they're all doctors". I don't care about the MD/DO debate, but I just wanted to point out that it is the least selective medical school in Texas. I understand what you were trying to say now.

As for the University of Dallas statement. This was referring to 2008, like I posted in the reply, not 2011. They were actually going to get the first pharmacy school starting with the class of 2011, but plans fell though. Here is the link:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/129900.php