UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas) 2024-2025 *ONLINE*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzafries5

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m making this thread because I haven’t seen one yet. I applied to the UNTHSC Medical Science program and I wanted to know if anyone had already heard back from them.

If anyone has completed or is currently in the program please drop advice.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't apply to the online this cycle but might consider it in the future. Do you know what their matriculation stats are for the online MS? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere. I know that the in-person has stats around 80% and is an all around good program. I see that unfortunately no one who is currently in the program or who has completed it is active on SDN :cryi:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply to the online this cycle but might consider it in the future. Do you know what their matriculation stats are for the online MS? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere. I know that the in-person has stats around 80% and is an all around good program. I see that unfortunately no one who is currently in the program or who has completed it is active on SDN :cryi:
I’m actually not sure. I’ve seen different stats ranging from 60%-80% matriculation rate.

I’ve really been looking for someone to talk to about the program but I don’t see anyone! Which is crazy because the program has been going for 10+ years.

I’m actually not sure. I’ve seen different stats ranging from 60%-80% matriculation rate.

I’ve really been looking for someone to talk to about the program but I don’t see anyone! Which is crazy because the program has been going for 10+ years.
The in-person has existed for that time. The online has only been around for about 3 years now I believe. The online version was a result of the pandemic. There's plenty of in-person cohort students on SDN but I've yet to find someone who completed the online program.

The in-person has existed for that time. The online has only been around for about 3 years now I believe. The online version was a result of the pandemic. There's plenty of in-person cohort students on SDN but I've yet to find someone who completed the online program.
Yes that’s what I was referring to—the masters program itself.
I’m doing the online version so I’d find it most useful to talk to someone who did the online program as well.

Even though I’ve already been accepted, they have yet to really give information on the program.

Is it too late to submit an application?

So both the online and in-person cohorts have 60-80-% linkage to the D.O. program afterwards?
I believe the application closes on 7/15.

I’m not sure on the success rates but I do know the online program is newer than the in person program.

Is it too late to submit an application?

So both the online and in-person cohorts have 60-80-% linkage to the D.O. program afterwards?
No linkage to TCOM or any specific program for that matter. The website for the MS in Med Sci simply states 88% matriculation in to professional schools for students that complete the in-person program. The stats for the online program are unknown to me. I sent an email late in the week and haven't gotten a response. I'll update with that information when I get it.

No linkage to TCOM or any specific program for that matter. The website for the MS in Med Sci simply states 88% matriculation in to professional schools for students that complete the in-person program. The stats for the online program are unknown to me. I sent an email late in the week and haven't gotten a response. I'll update with that information when I get it.
So the only way to get accepted is to apply per usual? No M.S. program will l give me a chance to link, or at least give me an interview?

I'm a Texas resident and have their class average stats. :rolleyes:

So the only way to get accepted is to apply per usual? No M.S. program will l give me a chance to link, or at least give me an interview?

I'm in the UNTHSC Medsci program.

At orientation, they stated they would give our cohort 50 seats at TCOM.

They say that they, along with VCOM, give a lot of offers to the cohort however most of the cohort accept offers elsewhere.

I think the linkage with med sci and TCOM is more of an informal linkage as opposed to a formal one. I met an OMS 4 from TCOM a few weeks ago and he estimated a good 15-20% of his class was med sci graduates. The med sci program does NOT state anywhere that they guarantee an interview but I believe if you are in the top maybe 25% of the class you'll probably get an interview/offer. I don't know of any Texas SMPS that guarantee an interview or linkage.

Advisors replied to me and said that the matriculation rate of online med sci is between 75-90%.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the linkage with med sci and TCOM is more of an informal linkage as opposed to a formal one. I met an OMS 4 from TCOM a few weeks ago and he estimated a good 15-20% of his class was med sci graduates. The med sci program does NOT state anywhere that they guarantee an interview but I believe if you are in the top maybe 25% of the class you'll probably get an interview/offer. I don't know of any Texas SMPS that guarantee an interview or linkage.
You don't have to be in the top 25%.

They keep stating they do a holistic review of all applicants.

The benefit of Medsci is that you get special consideration since many of the professors are shared between the two programs (TCOM and Medsci).

A lot of the professors are on the board of admissions as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have to be in the top 25%.

They keep stating they do a holistic review of all applicants.

The benefit of Medsci is that you get special consideration since many of the professors are shared between the two programs (TCOM and Medsci).

A lot of the professors are on the board of admissions as well.
That's awesome to know! I figured that was the case and one of the benefits of doing the in-person med sci bs the online. You are essentially shaking the hands of the people on the adcom.