UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who had asked about updated stats they are now posted on the TCOM website... just FYI.

For those of you who had asked about updated stats they are now posted on the TCOM website... just FYI.

Very interesting trend (10% increase in apps, max 42 MCAT, fewer bio majors, female-to-male ratio went up, more Asians/Hispanics, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, happy new year! I hope that 2012 sees us all adding "Dr." to our names :) Second, does anyone have any thoughts on what the odds are like at this point for those of us who are still "under review?" I'm counting my blessings as far as not being rejected!!

First of all, happy new year! I hope that 2012 sees us all adding "Dr." to our names :) Second, does anyone have any thoughts on what the odds are like at this point for those of us who are still "under review?" I'm counting my blessings as far as not being rejected!!

Well more like 2016 before any of us are Dr's.

If you are in-state then the deadline has past for pre-match offers, so you need to make sure you rank TCOM on TMDSAS and try and wait patiently (yeah, right..) for Feb 1.

Just got a voicemail from Caroline in Admissions...waiting to hear back from her. I'd completely written UNTHSC off my list, figured I was rejected. Wondering what this is about. Are they still doing waitlist interviews?

Interview invite for 1/12 :eek:

I was completely shell shocked to hear from them so late.. anyone know what this last cycle means? Are we automatically wait-listed? I had completely given up on med school this cycle (already a reapplicant) and now I've been rejuvenated!!

Can't tell you what it means other than you have bumped up your chances for acceptance to 5/8th. I've heard of some late invites matching but most are pulled off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't tell you what it means other than you have bumped up your chances for acceptance to 5/8th. I've heard of some late invites matching but most are pulled off the waitlist.

5/8? Hmm...this would be my only Texas school to interview at. Every other school was OOS and had rolling admissions.

5/8? Hmm...this would be my only Texas school to interview at. Every other school was OOS and had rolling admissions.

Last year, according to their Entering Class Statistics page (http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/enteringclassstats.cfm,) out of the roughly 500 people interviewed, about 800 received an offer of admission. So although you might be late in the game, the odds are still in your favor :)

Yup! just switch the numbers around :)

So all you need to do now is outrank 3 out of 8 interviewees. Good luck!

Has anyone tried to log onto portal recently to check their application status? It lets me log on, but once I click on "Application Status" it brings me to a page that says Enterprise Information System (EIS) and has a student login on the left. I hope this isn't an indication of their decision.

It's working fine for me, maybe it is back up. But nothing should change since the pre-match period is over.

Yeah, it's back up for me too. I'm OOS, so that wouldn't really matter for me anyway.

Waitlisted. Got a letter in the mail today. OOS

Now i'm having problems logging on. I know its supposed to not indicate anything now that the prematch period is over but I can't help but feel nervous about it. I'm counting down the days to Feb1

Now i'm having problems logging on. I know its supposed to not indicate anything now that the prematch period is over but I can't help but feel nervous about it. I'm counting down the days to Feb1

Hopefully you receive good news, goodluck.

See you guys at the interview process today. I'm getting my pre-interview food coma on at a 24-hour pancake house. Booyah!

Everyone says to get the German pancakes. Good luck today and beware the cross fire. First years have omm and a test tomorrow and second years have test Friday. Ahhhh

Withdraw via match today. Hope one of you guys get my spot.

This is one of the hardest decision I ever have to make. TCOM is an amazing school and is the first school to offer me interview and acceptance when my road to becoming a physician is very much unclear... I will always appreciate the opportunity TCOM gave me and the school will always have a special place in my heart :cry:

I know the way you feel DrTroll. I had to do the same thing today. TCOM is an amazing school and I hope one of you get my spot. Good luck everyone.

Hey. I had my interview back in 12/08. It went ok, but I felt I could done much much better. My interviewers were Dr. Tham and Dr. Friedman. My concern is that I felt I messed up my interview with Dr. Friedman, because he saw that I was little nervous. Also, he also asked only 3 questions whereas Dr. Tham asked much more. In order to keep the conservation going on, I had to ask alot questions. After that, my interview was ok from there. Do you know anybody who kind had not so great interview, but still be able to get into TCOM. I really want to go this school, and I am anxiously waiting for the match. Any input and suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you. =)

Last edited:
16 days and counting until match! The anticipation is killing me!!! I've been lurking on here for a while but finally decided to pop in and say hi, good luck everyone!

Ladies & gentlemen,

Last week I had to choose between my 2 prematch offers, TCOM and TTU El Paso. After going back and forth many times and much agonizing, I chose El Paso, mostly due to the 80-person class size El Paso.

It was a very hard decision, because I REALLY liked and was impressed with TCOM. I hope one of you gets my spot.

Like the previous poster said, I'm very for the opportunity the offered me and will keep a soft spot for them in my heart!

Good luck...see y'all in residency!

Hey. I had my interview back in 12/08. It went ok, but I felt I could done much much better. My interviewers were Dr. Tham and Dr. Friedman. My concern is that I felt I messed up my interview with Dr. Friedman, because he saw that I was little nervous. Also, he also asked only 3 questions whereas Dr. Tham asked much more. In order to keep the conservation going on, I had to ask alot questions. After that, my interview was ok from there. Do you know anybody who kind had not so great interview, but still be able to get into TCOM. I really want to go this school, and I am anxiously waiting for the match. Any input and suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you. =)

pm'd

16 days and counting until match! The anticipation is killing me!!! I've been lurking on here for a while but finally decided to pop in and say hi, good luck everyone!

Dont be a stranger! Let us know if you got any questions or need to clear anything up. Best of luck

"Your application is under review"...

Same here. I'm hoping that's a good sign since from what I've gathered, TCOM is pretty forthcoming about rejections...

If I'm wrong, please don't tell me as I want to keep hope alive. :D

Me too. I am from Houston, Texas. My status states that my application is under review as well.

Mine says under review too and I interviewed on 1/12. During the orientation they said that they would likely not make the match date b/c I was told the admissions committee was still looking at files from December that morning. I was also told that they would be looking at my file in about two weeks (from the 12th). Man, I wish I had a time-turner and I could fast forward!!

I am super hopeful b/c I really love UNT! It was my only interview but I had visited UNT this past summer and fell in love with the school and Ft. Worth (I am from North Dallas). My interviews went really well(at least in my opinion).

Last edited:
Good luck. Someone posted here (a few months ago) that roughly 30% of the class is filled with offers made post-match!

It's hard to say how an interview really went, unless the interviewer tells you. An interviewer asking a few questions may mean something bad (a negative conclusion about you), but not always. My best interview at TCOM lasted exactly 30 mins. My interviewer was writing as I spoke, which made me feel a little uncomfortable at first. He asked a few questions, followed by a"why?" after my initial answers. After my last answer, he said that one of the answers I had given was probably the best he had received in some years. When I looked up his undergrad, he was a psychology major.
All along you are being tested at different levels during an interview, especially your core values, knowledge of the field, and your way to respond to stress.
Some schools offer a second interview if there are large discrepancies between the scores you receive from different interviewers.
Alternatively, and for future reference, if you feel something goes wrong with an interview and you feel there is a fair justification by all means bring it up to someone in admissions on that day and you may receive a substitute interview.

Withdraw via match today. Hope one of you guys get my spot.

This is one of the hardest decision I ever have to make. TCOM is an amazing school and is the first school to offer me interview and acceptance when my road to becoming a physician is very much unclear... I will always appreciate the opportunity TCOM gave me and the school will always have a special place in my heart :cry:

I know the way you feel DrTroll. I had to do the same thing today. TCOM is an amazing school and I hope one of you get my spot. Good luck everyone.

Would you care to share your reasons?

I'm pretty sure everyone who hasn't been accepted or rejected (OOS) has "under review" as their status.

It was the first I'd heard of it- hence the mmm interesting part. Now I see others got the same- it would appear everyone else has this status. I don't so again, it's interesting.

Application status information is temporarily disabled. This service will resume after the Feb. 1st Match.

C'mon, really?

^ haha. Yup. That update is normal its done every year. They usually won't offer prematches this close to match.