UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't it too late to submit the secondary?

I applied to TCOM through TMDSAS and am beginning to look at the secondary now. I don't have a DO LOR, but I have good ones from PhDs, employer, and a longtime volunteer coordinator. Will this basically nix my chances? How much do they really care?

I have cGPA: 3.43, sGPA: 3.30, 34 MCAT.
huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

It's too late buddy, so sorry!
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/onlineapps.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

And I look forward to next year's score.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oEKImP8y38
38-0? Dang. ;)

We just felt bad ;) It would be terrible for c/o 2014 to leave without any wins under their belt

I keep trying to remind myself that it's only the first batch... I suppose the fact that I'm still "under review" and not "reviewed" should be comforting. Thank for the vote of confidence, I sure do appreciate it!

Ps- the library looks AWESOME... just the kind of place I could study someday ;)

No prob! Just keep your head up and try to enjoy the upcoming holidays without having this on your mind! It's a lot more fun to get that acceptance call when it sneaks up on you and you're not even expecting it lol. I wish I could study in the library better because I do love the 3rd floor! I'd hang out there more if I actually got stuff done in libraries

I applied to TCOM through TMDSAS and am beginning to look at the secondary now. I don't have a DO LOR, but I have good ones from PhDs, employer, and a longtime volunteer coordinator. Will this basically nix my chances? How much do they really care?

huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

The others are right in that it's too late now, but keep all your stuff so you can apply early next cycle! Just FYI, obviously any DO school would like to see a DO LOR, but I really don't think TCOM cares too much. I never had one, and I know quite a few people who never had one. As long as the other LORs are of good quality, then don't worry.

huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

As you already know, you are now going to have to wait until next summer since this year's deadline has passed. But good news for the future... your stats are freakishly similar to mine. I, too, did not have a DO letter. I applied early (May) and prematched on the 15th. They never once brought up not having the letter in my interviews. However their secondary does ask about your exposure to osteopathic medicine, and I was at least able to talk about how a bunch of the docs in the ER I work at are DO's. I just never bothered to get a letter from any of them because they didn't know me as well as my other writers did.

Members don't see this ad :)

huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

Concerning the LOR I was told I needed a DO one. On my interview day they had us go to an administrative office to review our application and make sure they had all the information they needed. The lady specifically said that I needed a LOR from a DO, (but I already had one so I was good to go). I guess others say it's not a necessity, but they made it seem like it was to me so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

I too got in without a DO letter. I suspect that was never a hardcore requirement for the committee.

My LOR were from 2 MDs and 1 PhD, so I'm pretty sure who it's from is not that important.

Hi guys,
I'm new on thread but, like many of you, my sympathetic circuitry fires every time I check my UNTHSC account for an acceptance.
I interviewed on the 10/26 and was wondering if anyone interviewed around that time and received an acceptance. Do admissions notify applicants about acceptances on a daily basis, or the first Monday of every week, or is it a random process?
I have low academic credentials (3.1 sci & overall GPA, and 27Q on the MCAT) but pretty steep improvement through my undergrad (started with low Cs and went to As). I have good letters of recommendation, lots of clinical experience/research, etc.
I felt my two interviews went very well too!

If anyone can reply to this in anyway I'd appreciate it. I noticed some applicants received acceptances. Congratulations!
For those of us waiting, there's nothing better than solidarity to carry us on through the rough times.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys,
I'm new on thread but, like many of you, my sympathetic circuitry fires every time I check my UNTHSC account for an acceptance.
I interviewed on the 10/26 and was wondering if anyone interviewed around that time and received an acceptance. Do admissions notify applicants about acceptances on a daily basis, or the first Monday of every week, or is it a random process?
I have low academic credentials (3.1 sci & overall GPA, and 27Q on the MCAT) but pretty steep improvement through my undergrad (started with low Cs and went to As). I have good letters of recommendation, lots of clinical experience/research, etc.

If anyone can reply to this in anyway I'd appreciate it. I noticed some applicants received acceptances. Congratulations!
For those of us waiting, there's nothing better than solidarity to carry us on through the rough times.

Good luck to everyone!

Based on last years class thread they gave out another batch of pre-matches right before Christmas. I just received my acceptance letter today with an agreement form to hold my acceptance that has to be returned before December 2nd. So Im assuming that they are going to wait until students decide to accept the agreement form or decline the offer before they give out more pre-match offers. TCOM is a great school and you still have match so hold in there and goodluck.

Thanks for the reply TexasDocGibby,

I was hoping for more pre-match offers. I wonder what percentage of the incoming class is filled with pre-matches.
I fell in love with TCOM on my interview day. I really identified myself with my interviewers. Both of them shared personal accounts on how difficult it was for each to become a DO and sustain the philosophical standards that define the DO practice in our current medical system.
Plus the students there just simply shine with enthusiasm.

I'll continue to check my UNT account twice a day until I get tired (which won't happen).
I'm happy to learn you've been offered a seat. I really hope to see you at TCOM next year!

Hi guys,

Good luck to everyone!

Lol actually the instant adrenaline rush feeling you get when you check the unthsc portal is not sympathetically mediated but rather a depression in parasympathetic stimulation. Remember sympathetic response takes time while parasympathetic depression is instant :) but that's something you'll learn next year at tcom lol good luck

Thanks for the reply TexasDocGibby,

I was hoping for more pre-match offers. I wonder what percentage of the incoming class is filled with pre-matches.
I fell in love with TCOM on my interview day. I really identified myself with my interviewers. Both of them shared personal accounts on how difficult it was for each to become a DO and sustain the philosophical standards that define the DO practice in our current medical system.
Plus the students there just simply shine with enthusiasm.

I'll continue to check my UNT account twice a day until I get tired (which won't happen).
I'm happy to learn you've been offered a seat. I really hope to see you at TCOM next year!

So while they give out a ton of pre matches offers, word on the street is that most of the spots filled are filled during match. This is because most prematchees are highly sought after and get multiple prematch offers and will choose other Texas schools. Theres still time y'all. Just hang in there

Ps- most tcom matriculants don't have a do lor. It's not a factor at all, most of us had md lors. That meeting you had during your interview was to give you the opportunity to add anything to your add that wasn't in yet. There was prob just some miscommunication. Don't worry

slammer922,
Thanks for the mention regarding pre-matches. I'll wait for that possible next batch of offers in December and the match.

In regards to the sympathetic stimulation, a heart rate increase and overall heightened awareness is sympathetic, and that's what I usually feel right before I check my status. I'd expect it's the same for a lot of people, though I'm not certain. I agree about depression being parasympathetic. And actually virtually all autonomic responses are mediated by hormones (distributed by the circulatory system), so response times are roughly the same, although some sympathetic hormones ANS can have wild responses in some tissues (heart, skeletal muscle, liver) and effects are quite fast. So I'd argue sympathetic effectively is faster. :)

I was told in my interview that 30% of the class is prematched, 30% is matched, and 30% comes off the wait list. Don't know if that's true, but the question was asked during our presentation.

I agree about depression being parasympathetic.
Slammer is not talking about the symptom drepression, he/she is talking about the parasympathetic system being drepressed. It makes sense.

Those numbers are a relief. Thanks.

I now get what slammer says, but anxiety is a sympathetic response...?
I would like to know what depresses the parasympathetic control though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry Neuro is over. I can only talk about cardiopulmonary stuff now lol

lol slammer, way to prioritize

Slammer is right in that what we call an adrenaline rush when we have that instant response is really first done by reducing the PS response. It's much faster to reduce vagal response to the heart than having your sympathetic system increasing amounts of hormones. Hope that makes sense lol

Silly question, but...

For the yellow form with the acceptance letter that says "I accept the position offered to me in the 2012 Entering Class...", am I stating that I am interested in keeping the position open, or that I am officially attending TCOM?

I assume it's the former, but the way it's worded is a bit unclear.

Silly question, but...

For the yellow form with the acceptance letter that says "I accept the position offered to me in the 2012 Entering Class...", am I stating that I am interested in keeping the position open, or that I am officially attending TCOM?

I assume it's the former, but the way it's worded is a bit unclear.

Yup you're just keeping the position open. The official stuff doesn't happen until after match

Withdrew from TCOM today. Hope someone here gets my spot!

Withdrew from TCOM today. Hope someone here gets my spot!

Looks like you must have gotten into your top choice, congrats on Southwestern! Appreciate you freeing up a spot for those of us still waiting... :p

Still haven't received anything in the mail after my acceptance, should I be worried? How much time do they give you to reply?

Congrats on all the prematches and acceptances so far!!

I have not received an interview invite from TCOM yet... I was wondering how long they extend interviews?? Is it till the end of December?

Still haven't received anything in the mail after my acceptance, should I be worried? How much time do they give you to reply?

I haven't either, but I'm going to undergrad out-of-state so it'll take a couple days longer to get it than for those with Texas addresses. I'll call them if I haven't received anything by Tuesday night, probably.

Congrats on all the prematches and acceptances so far!!

I have not received an interview invite from TCOM yet... I was wondering how long they extend interviews?? Is it till the end of December?

I was told at their open house that the last interview is December 15.

Withdrew my pre-match offer this afternoon- got into two of my top choices and don't want to hold onto this one and keep someone else from receiving it. Hope one of you gets it very soon! Good luck everyone

Withdrew my pre-match offer this afternoon- got into two of my top choices and don't want to hold onto this one and keep someone else from receiving it. Hope one of you gets it very soon! Good luck everyone

Thanks! and congrats :)

How much time off is allotted for students to study for the COMLEX and USLME Step 1? And are any 1st and 2nd year medical students involved in intramural sports or are they too busy with the course load?

Nope, not even "under review". It just says complete. Their office wouldn't tell me anything except that they have many applicants.

Nope, not even "under review". It just says complete. Their office wouldn't tell me anything except that they have many applicants.

You might have something different than me - but mine says "This application is complete" underneath the boxes, but above the boxes it says "Your application is under review".
Are you by chance missing what it's saying above the boxes or is it just blank?

How much time off is allotted for students to study for the COMLEX and USLME Step 1? And are any 1st and 2nd year medical students involved in intramural sports or are they too busy with the course load?

I wish I could give you a better answer but I'm just not sure on the amount of time you have. I was under the impression that it is very much up too you as because the more amount of time you take to study cuts down in your vacation time. I'm not sure how many 3rd years are around but I can try to find out more fore you if you don't get a good answer.
This applies for everything and anything you want to do during med school. There is time. Trust me. You can volunteer, lead organizations, be involved, participate in sports and do well at the same time. Are we busy with course load, heck yeah. Our cirriculum is ultra intense. But if it means enough to you to do it. Do it.

Sent from iPhone

I was wondering if any of those individuals who were accepted would post their stats?
Thanks!

I was wondering if any of those individuals who were accepted would post their stats?
Thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.47
MCAT: 34-O
I also have a Ph.D. in chemistry.

I think I'm pretty atypical, though. The last time I checked, the average MCAT for TCOM was 26.

Good luck!

You might have something different than me - but mine says "This application is complete" underneath the boxes, but above the boxes it says "Your application is under review".
Are you by chance missing what it's saying above the boxes or is it just blank?
Above the boxes it says: "Your application has been received." Oh well, guess I will just play the waiting game....

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the common feeling regarding the plans to start an allopathic medical school at UNTHSC?

Has anyone received a pre-match offer after November 15th?
I was told by admissions that pre-match offers can happen anytime and are not necessarily done in "batches".

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the common feeling regarding the plans to start an allopathic medical school at UNTHSC?

It's my understanding that due to state budget cutbacks, this isn't an option for the foreseeable future.

During my interview day this came up and we were told, emphatically, by both students and faculty that it would not ever happen. For one, like aggie mentioned, the state legislature said 'no way'. Second, almost everyone is opposed to it. And it has nothing to do with MD vs DO or anything silly like that. Mostly it's about limited resources (clerkship spots in particular).

if you decline the prematch, you can still participate in the match...correct?

hm....not sure. i'd call admissions for an answer...wouldn't want people on this forum telling you incorrect info about such an important subject.

No. If I rember correctly, If u decline the prematch you will not be ranked by the school that you declined. You can still participate if u accepted another schools prematch offer. And the declined school will not show up on your rank list but I suggest accepting all prematches unless you got into your 110 percent for sure, with out a doubt, no way Jose im changing my mind about were I want to go, top choice. You never know how a second visit might sway you for or against a school and you don't want to have thrown away a good thing.

I agree with what slammer said. Unless you received a prematch from a school that you are positive you want to attend, don't decline. Yes, you can still participate in the match even if you declined all prematch offers you had. This is extremely risky though. None of the schools you declined to will show up on the match, and you're just gambling that another school will accept you during the match. If you're still waiting on a top choice school, keep a few prematches just in case the school doesn't accept you during match.

Does anyone have insight regarding how/when they will send out acceptances during prematch?

Batches? Individually? Specific days? Random?

Does anyone have insight regarding how/when they will send out acceptances during prematch? Batches? Individually? Specific days? Random?

From what I understand, it's rolling basis, but because it's a committee process with meetings and all, the offers may appear quantized as intermittent spurts, with individual exceptions of course.