Unusual situation: taking post-bacc classes at multiple schools simultaneously

Aug 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I just got back my MCAT score a few days ago and am extremely happy with my score. Unfortunately this came at the expense of a downward trend in grades my last year of college. To add insult to injury I already had a relatively lowish GPA.

I obviously can’t do anything about it now but I wanted advice on moving forward and my next steps.

I wanted to apply this cycle but after reading multiple threads I decided it would be in my best interest to take some upper division biology classes as a post-bacc to increase my GPA since if I were to even apply now I would be really late which doesn’t exactly help my cause. I was thinking about taking new classes that I have not taken like Immunology, A&P, Virology, Cell Biology, and some others.

However I have run into an issue. Since I am not a fulltime degree student at the post bacc school, I am still unable to register and the classes are becoming full really quick (if they aren’t already full). I have sent out applications to a few other schools now and I am in this rather unusual situation where it looks I’ll be taking classes at two different schools this fall due to scheduling and the fact that some classes that I am interested in taking are already full. Biochemistry, for example, is open but I already took Biochemistry in college.

I will not be working a job so I can focus on my grades but I do research and volunteer and have to work around those commitments – for example, the free clinic I volunteer at is only open Tuesday and Thursday mornings thus I would have to pick classes that don’t coincide with those times.

My biggest question as mentioned in the thread is will taking classes at multiple universities within the same semester raise a red flag?

OP
A
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@Catalystik I saw you comment on this thread from many years ago and my situation is slightly different as I am not working and I am doing classes at multiple universities in the same semester. I will probably do a few classes at 2 universities simultaneously this fall and I was able to look up previous course offerings for past semesters and assuming it stays the same I might even be at 4 different universities simultaneously in the spring due to scheduling, course offerings, course availability etc. I would try my best to take as many classes at one given institution but will look to take other classes that are available to me and work with my schedule at the other schools. Do you have any advice or insight on my situation?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Please explain why you think it would?
Hi all,

My biggest question as mentioned in the thread is will taking classes at multiple universities within the same semester raise a red flag?

Reactions: alladots

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Are any of them on-line classes, or would you be attending brick-and-mortar institutions? If the latter is the case, I see no problem with your effort to cobble together an appropriate informal postbac that works around your commitment to volunteer at the free clinic twice weekly.

Reactions: alladots
OP
A
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Are any of them on-line classes, or would you be attending brick-and-mortar institutions? If the latter is the case, I see no problem with your effort to cobble together an appropriate informal postbac that works around your commitment to volunteer at the free clinic twice weekly.
Yes, the classes are all at brick-and-mortar 4 year institutions. I would be attending the class in person. Thanks a lot, I have more commitments than just the free clinic so it's been tough finding classes that I've never taken that are are available and work with my various volunteer and research commitments.

Thanks again for your insight :)

Does my choice of classes look ok?

OP
A
Aug 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you very much. I'm really glad I'll be able to do it this way. Also super glad I can just focus on my academics. I'll update this thread on my progress and in case any future DIY postbaccer might find it helpful. :)

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
One question you need to consider is how bad is your GPA and how much will taking these classes bring up that score. If you look at your GPA and MCAT in that nice % accepted grid, where do you fall. If it's not looking so hot you should probably consider retaking Cs to take advantage of DO grade replacement.

--
Il Destriero