Unwelcomed during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greeeeeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About a week and a half ago, I had an interview where I felt mostly not welcomed to the school and I was wondering if anyone had similar experience. During the entire interview process, only the admissions officers seemed excited and showed welcome while rest of others in the process seemed completely uninterested.
Unlike few other interviews where I felt like they really wanted to know who I am, this interview was more like question and answer rather than conversational. I tried to keep the mood up but there was no response from both faculty and the student interviewer.

The interviewers seemed uninterested in asking me any questions. The faculty member seemed tired and was almost zoning out while I was answering the question. It really pressured me to be make my answer as short as possible, which was a bad decision because I could not elaborate on my personality or my vision outside of the designated questions. The questions I got were all just directly from the paper that they had in front of them. It was quite obvious they didn't really care what I was saying or who I was (they were looking elsewhere and zoning out). Only time I saw them interested in me was when I was asking questions related to their research or curriculum.

I felt really discouraged and quite sad because this was my top choice that I wanted to attend since I was freshmen in my undergrad. This can sound too overreacting but I just cannot believe I worked so hard for four years to be this unwelcomed from my top choice school during the entire interview process. I was so happy when I got the interview invite but after the actual interview, I am feeling worse than not receiving invite from the school. Also I was surprised because I heard this school's interview had very friendly faculty and students in the interview and I am now worried if they already didn't like me somehow from my application.
At this point, only thing I can do is to pray and hope. But at the same time, my interest to the school has dropped quite significantly as well.
Please let me know if anyone else had similar experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
These guys have been interviewing candidates for a few months now, asking the same questions over and over again. They're tired of interview season, don't take it personally

Reactions: 8 users
These guys have been interviewing candidates for a few months now, asking the same questions over and over again. They're tired of interview season, don't take it personally
thanks thinking that way makes me feel less bad about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Faculty are tired after being in clinic all day. I wouldn’t take it personally.

This is how I felt at one of my interviews. The interviewers were extremely nice, but the students and other faculty pretty much acted like we didnt exist. Contrast this to an interview like Colorado where everybody at the school was so happy to see us. It really makes a difference

Reactions: 3 users
This is how I felt at one of my interviews. The interviewers were extremely nice, but the students and other faculty pretty much acted like we didnt exist. Contrast this to an interview like Colorado where everybody at the school was so happy to see us. It really makes a difference

Exactly! Btw just curious, but did you get into that school?

This could also just be how they are instructed to do interviews. I interviewed at a school where the interviewers were not allowed to respond or even react in any way to the questions being asked. They couldn’t even clarify the question. They had to read it word for word off of the paper and then sit back and let me answer. They were basically robots only present to ask the question and nothing else. Felt super unwelcome, but they told us that was the case so I just brushed it off as being an awkward way to conduct the interview.

Anyway, sometimes interviews seem bad, but you get accepted anyway. I had a super bad interview at two schools. At one they even stopped the interview early because they found out I had applied early and wouldn’t have a degree by matriculation. The other, I was straight up told that my answer to their ethical dilema question was wrong and to try again. I got accepted to both and attended the latter.

Reactions: 2 users
This could also just be how they are instructed to do interviews. I interviewed at a school where the interviewers were not allowed to respond or even react in any way to the questions being asked. They couldn’t even clarify the question. They had to read it word for word off of the paper and then sit back and let me answer. They were basically robots only present to ask the question and nothing else. Felt super unwelcome, but they told us that was the case so I just brushed it off as being an awkward way to conduct the interview.

Anyway, sometimes interviews seem bad, but you get accepted anyway. I had a super bad interview at two schools. At one they even stopped the interview early because they found out I had applied early and wouldn’t have a degree by matriculation. The other, I was straight up told that my answer to their ethical dilema question was wrong and to try again. I got accepted to both and attended the latter.

That's very interesting style of interview. I wonder if they do so in order to test how applicants stand against the stress..
I was worried and quite shocked because the school I interviewed at was known for super friendly faculty and student interviewers. It seemed like half had similar experience as I did and other half had typical expected interview on that day.
But thanks for the input as well! It really helps me brush off :D

I had this experience as well. I felt terrible the whole time I was there and just couldn't wait to leave. But, that is the only school I have been accepted into so far. And, other schools where I felt like I crushed my interview, I haven't heard anything from. So you never really know what they are thinking!!

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder Op, did you end up getting accepted at this school or not?

are you going to attend?
Probably yes because my only other option is NYU. Though nyu had so much friendlier atmosphere and is a really great school, I just can't afford to have 150,000+ more loan at the end. I just hope things would be different and people were just tired with endless interviews.