UofA vs USC - Where Would You Go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gkberger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've applied to 9 schools, my top two being The University of Arizona and The University of Southern California. After receiving my PCAT score its a realistic possibility that I will get, at the very least, an interview at both schools.

If you had the choice, where would you go and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I've applied to 9 schools, my top two being The University of Arizona and The University of Southern California. After receiving my PCAT score its a realistic possibility that I will get, at the very least, an interview at both schools.

If you had the choice, where would you go and why?

USC uses PCAT? must be new.

I'd pick USC. Extensive alumni network and sheer domination of residency positions post-grad. One of their law professors practically writes the CPJE exam.

Oh, and football games.

And LA nightlife be poppin' yo. Granted, the campus is in the ghetto.

Are you settling back in California? USC is a no-brainer. If you're going out of state, then it's not so important.

I'd pick USC. Extensive alumni network and sheer domination of residency positions post-grad. One of their law professors practically writes the CPJE exam.

Oh, and football games.

Are you settling back in California? USC is a no-brainer. If you're going out of state, then it's not so important.

They don't require a PCAT but they will still look at it.

I got my undergrad from UA so it would be financially cheaper to go there (in-state tuition, living costs etc). However I want to end up in CA after getting my PharmD.

Another thing to consider is that I am looking into a PharmD/MBA. UA offers a joint program and their business school is top 10 as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh, and football games.

He's obviously biased :rolleyes:

But I agree...if you want to settle in California, USC may be the more logical choice.

UA also has awesome residency placement and also has a strong alumni network. I think the schools are pretty equal in that regard.

It might come down to cost and where you want to live. I've personally never liked LA and I love Tucson. I dunno.

Intern positions are pretty competitive these days in Tucson but most people end up finding something, even if it's not their #1 choice. Some experience is better than no experience.

What do you want out of a school?

I like Tucson during the school year but its DEAD over the summers. On the other hand, I'm not sure how my dog Bubba will feel about living in an apartment in LA!

I'm mainly looking for networking and a solid alum network as I am planning on going into pharm business. I also thought that it might help to diversify my resume by going to a post-grad school outside of my home state.

I like Tucson during the school year but its DEAD over the summers. On the other hand, I'm not sure how my dog Bubba will feel about living in an apartment in LA!

I'm mainly looking for networking and a solid alum network as I am planning on going into pharm business. I also thought that it might help to diversify my resume by going to a post-grad school outside of my home state.

You could always go out of state during the summers. I went to Flagstaff both summers as part of the rural health program (4 weeks each summer) and they paid for housing and gave a stipend. Plus you could apply for internships elsewhere.

They have a pretty cool entrepreneurial pharmacy class and the NCPA is really active. Decent number of independents in Tucson, which I think is cool. Plus the whole dual degree thing....

I made the choice to stay in state when I got into an out of state school. Although I don't regret my decision, but part of me will always wonder if I missed out on anything. Truthfully, I didn't go with my heart then (it was cheaper and I could keep my job in Arizona) but it all worked out.

It's a hard choice if you get accepted to both. I think the curriculum, student involvement, networking, and all that are probably pretty similar at both schools.

The main thing that stands out is your desire to stay in california. If that is the case, then it may be better in the long term career wise to go with USC.

You could always go out of state during the summers. I went to Flagstaff both summers as part of the rural health program (4 weeks each summer) and they paid for housing and gave a stipend. Plus you could apply for internships elsewhere.

They have a pretty cool entrepreneurial pharmacy class and the NCPA is really active. Decent number of independents in Tucson, which I think is cool. Plus the whole dual degree thing....

I made the choice to stay in state when I got into an out of state school. Although I don't regret my decision, but part of me will always wonder if I missed out on anything. Truthfully, I didn't go with my heart then (it was cheaper and I could keep my job in Arizona) but it all worked out.

It's a hard choice if you get accepted to both. I think the curriculum, student involvement, networking, and all that are probably pretty similar at both schools.

The main thing that stands out is your desire to stay in california. If that is the case, then it may be better in the long term career wise to go with USC.

Yeah I suppose I already knew about the similarity between the two schools, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else haha. I'm hoping that a campus visit to USC will give me that gut feeling that I'm looking for.

Hmm...okay after reading this, I'm leaning toward U of AZ now, for the following reasons:

1) in-state tuition? TAKE IT. USC is one of the most expensive schools in the country. Tuition alone is about $45k/yr. http://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

2) your dog will be miserable in an apartment. think of the dog.

rxlea is right, both schools are fairly equal in terms of academic prowess and alumni opportunities. it'll be different groups of alumni though, i still give USC the edge in how "fervent" the alumni are in helping other alums. this would be my strongest reason to go with 'SC.

BUT the ~$22,000/yr difference in price x 4 = $88,000 is a deal breaker for me. For that price difference, you can fly to Los Angeles EVERY WEEKEND for 4 years and still have saved $40,000 (RT $200 PHX/LAX).

I love california but damn, $88k? It's more difficult to get into the CA job market and be licensed by going out of state, but it's not impossible (look at me, i went to school on the east coast and i'm employed/licensed).

Im hoping to do the rural health program as well!