Uop 2007!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KDBuff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so ready to move to San Francisco, and wanted to have a place to share my excitement! I'm visiting at the end of May to look for an apartment and explore the city a bit. Couple of questions about the school, and I'm sure I'll have lots more. Is the whole building wireless? Do we buy or rent all of our equipment? Anyone else looking for housing, or just waiting till after the housing lottery? I'm looking forward to hearing back and chatting with all my future classmates, and the upperclassmen as well.

Members don't see this ad.

When I read class of 2007, I was confused.
But now I am jealous those who graduate a year early.

That's crazy! Four years of school crammed into 3. That can't be too much fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that 1st year is brutal at UoP. After that, its a cake walk to graduation.

Hi KDBuff-

Welcome to the UOP family and San Francisco! With regards to your questions.....

I assume that when you say "building," you mean the school right? The entire building is NOT wireless. However, there are certain floors which are. The UOP housing facility here at Post St. IS wireless. From my understanding it is on all floors. At least it is on mine :D .

As far as equipment is concerened, we lease them (at least the hand instruments - hatchets, hoes, explorer, perio curets, waxing hand instruments, etc). We own our handpieces and other miscellaneous items such as: brasslers, articulators, typodonts, wax adders, curing light, polishing equipment, etc etc.

If you don't know your housing situation, you should hear from Kathy Candito soon. Many of my classmates (and upper classmen as well) are shuffling around UOP housing to new rooms within the building or finding their own place within the city, so when that is taken care of, the incoming class will be informed. I assume that this is what is going on for the Presidio housing units as well. Again, welcome to a great and close-knit dental family. You'll love it here!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

P.s. Yes, first year is brutal. However, 2nd and 3rd years are also VERY busy. I have not yet heard it described as a cakewalk. But who knows.....I have yet to experience it..... :eek: :scared: :laugh: .

well, IMHO, dental school should only be 2 yrs. what the hell is the point of learning the basic science stuff? the whole thing sounds so pointless to me.

Question for present UOP students:

What is the PC requirement at UOP? Anything special?

:love: :love: Love my UOP :love: :love:

My stuff is moving to San Fran this weekend (I'll come later).

I spoke to someone about housing last week, they expect to let us know the end of this week or early next week.

If I don't get the housing I plan on visiting and looking in late May.

comatose said:
well, IMHO, dental school should only be 2 yrs. what the hell is the point of learning the basic science stuff? the whole thing sounds so pointless to me.
I might be wrong, but I think it makes sense for those who are going to become involved in dental research. It probably helps to further the field of dentistry in general. If everyone is taught the basics, it's probably likely that a higher percentage of students will take an interest in performing research that might involve basic sciences, and that much more likely that dental techniques and utilities will continue to evolve and become more advanced.

Hi Vishal-

We are ALL required to lease laptop computers with an option to buy at graduation (from what I hear.....it's just $1 to buy, don't know for sure though). For the class of 2006, we were issued DELL Latituted D600 notebook computers.

I don't know much about computers, but I think it is over 1 Ghz, wireless card, CD/DVD Rom, etc. Also, it comes with a 3 year comprehensive customer care program. It breaks.....they fix. Very handy!

DDS 2007 might be issued different computers....not sure though. Overall, my impressions of my computer is generally positive. I have had some hardware problems, but it was resolved quickly. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Welcome to UOP!

Leasing Dell 600 (or something better) sounds great. Thanks. How much UOP charges for this? Has anybody declined lease and used their own Laptop? Please help.

It's not possible to decline the lease. Their program is called "The Dollar Buyout". It's a mandatory lease for 3 years, and then you can buy it for $1.

For UOP's Pharmacy program, I think the price works out to a little more than $2,400, but correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't expect UOP's dental school to charge less than this. =P

Yes, ziptree has it right. It is a mandatory program. The total cost for laptops is not cheap - something between $2000 and $3000. They will let you know in writing when you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if any UOPer's are looking for a female roomate? I will be an incoming 1st year, looking for a roomate (preferable a 1st year as well) to share a 2bd/2ba apt.

A question for you veteran UOPer's :) I have been considering applying to UOP, depending on DAT scores, and had a question about housing.

If I remember it said on you housing website that there were 2 bedroom dorm type apartments available on campus but it stated that they were not set up to accomodate children. So I took it that married students with children have to find off campus housing? Is this correct, and if so is this type of housing hard to find from your own observations of current students. When refering to housing I'm refering to, "in a decent neighborhood" housing :)

Thanks

For those that got accepted to UOP, if you don't mind me asking could you post your GPA, DAT scores, and any other relevant info that could help guide me? I did well on the DAT but my GPA isn't anything to brag about....thank you

eric-

yes, you are correct. married students with children are not allowed to live at housing. married students without children can live at housing. you will have to make other housing arrangements if you have kids. as im sure you are well aware, if you are looking to live anywhere "nice" in san francisco, it's going to cost you. speaking with friends who are in your situation.....they've found housing w/parking for around $1400. it can range drastically however. it just depends on what renters are offering at the time you are looking. compared to previous years, it has been relatively easy to find a "reasonable" place to live. try craigslist and other listings you know of. hope this helps!

serious-

3.3 gpa, 21 AA, 20 PAT. you can also try doing a search for the stats thread. don't be discouraged, don't count yourself out. you'll get there. just keep at it. good luck to you!

agutier3 said:
eric-

yes, you are correct. married students with children are not allowed to live at housing. married students without children can live at housing. you will have to make other housing arrangements if you have kids. as im sure you are well aware, if you are looking to live anywhere "nice" in san francisco, it's going to cost you. speaking with friends who are in your situation.....they've found housing w/parking for around $1400. it can range drastically however. it just depends on what renters are offering at the time you are looking. compared to previous years, it has been relatively easy to find a "reasonable" place to live. try craigslist and other listings you know of. hope this helps!

serious-

3.3 gpa, 21 AA, 20 PAT. you can also try doing a search for the stats thread. don't be discouraged, don't count yourself out. you'll get there. just keep at it. good luck to you!

Thanks so much for the feedback. Deciding on where to apply is such big choice for me since I will be coming with wife and child. I surfed the UOP website and found a fair amount of housing close to the price range you quoted. Since I have never been to SF my only concern was the location and relative safety of the housing for my family. Most of the rentals looked fairly decent on the website but it's not the same as talking to someone who knows the area.

When I submit my application in June I will probably include UOP, but will not take my DAT's until August. After I take my DAT's I'll have a little better idea of where I have a decent chance of getting in. My gpa is 3.9 at the moment so will just have to wait for Aug. and my DAT scores. At that time I'm sure I'll be back on here asking for advice on finding decent housing at the schools that I have a chance of getting into.

Thanks again for the feedback and the encouragement :)

Hi! I'm also going to be attending UOP this year. I have a question about the dress code. I know it is "professional dress" but I was wondering what exactly that means, especially for females. For example, I saw in the handbook that khakis are considered casual dress...so what IS appropriate? If any current students could help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :laugh:

I was wondering about the same thing alilou mentioned. The only thing I've seen about the dress code was from the booklet the class of 2006 sent us.

Also, I'm going out to San Francisco in a week and a half to search for an apartment. I know it's a little early to pick something up, but does anyone have any suggestions. I have a couple of appointments at apartment complexes, but do you think I should try to get some appts. with a couple of property managers? Also, what is the thought on living in the apartments at the Filmore Center and Webster Towers, etc. I've read a little that the area south of Geary isn't the best. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Don't worry too much about the dress code at Pacific, it's not too bad. No jeans (denim) and no open toe shoes are the basics. Most guys tend to wear shirts with collars and sometimes ties. Girls (like me) have a few more options. As long as it isn't too crazy (like showing your stomach), you can wear pretty much anything, it is pretty casual. I wear khakis, black pants, or skirts. As the year goes on, people seem to forget the dress code, but the professors definitely like it when we dress preoffesionally. You will hear a lot of emphasis on "proffesionalism" in you first week at school.

Hi again. I was randomly going through some past threads on SDN and I saw one on collecting teeth. Are we supposed to start doing that yet? I don't recall getting any info on teeth collection, have we? And to those already at UOP, would you say that it is recommended that we do so soon? Thanks!

Hi-

Yes, you can if you want. But you won't need it until 4th quarter when you have pre-clinical endo block. However, many of your classmates will have TONS of teeth, and are willing to share. So if you feel so inclined, start collecting teeth if you want to. Why put it off to the last minute right?