UOP 2009 application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mmm sounds good...a lot of restaurants got shutdown this past year though...economy was really bad for 'em i think

Yeah! You know when I got out of the Army, my 'rents put me up at this really nice hotel down town (sounds like an oxymoron... nice and downtown Stockton in one sentence)... A Sheraton, maybe? But it was massive, and the pres. suite overlooked the new remodeled downtown waterfront. I heard it recently went under =-/ And I was taken aback at the K-Mart being gone from the corner of Pacific/Robinhood replaced with a massive, high-end shopping center and a BJ's. I am surprised that hasn't been completely bankrupted, to be honest.

I visited a couple weeks ago and it is a pretty scary place after dark. Nice during the day, though. This has hence given way to its nickname, Gotham.

Members don't see this ad.

lol...there were also a lot of drive by shootings the past year along march and west lane...a few incidents where drivers of cars were shot at a traffic light too...pretty scary in general

only reason the shopping center and BJs isn't bankrupt is because all the college/hs students go there frequently

lol...there were also a lot of drive by shootings the past year along march and west lane...a few incidents where drivers of cars were shot at a traffic light too...pretty scary in general

only reason the shopping center and BJs isn't bankrupt is because all the college/hs students go there frequently

Yea, right across from Delta, makes sense. And of course, the duo of malls.

The only place more violent than Stockton that I have personally experienced (including Chicago, Deeeetroiiiiit and the Big Apple) was Iraq, and at least I was armed and wearing Interceptor. In Stockton, you're just a sitting duck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...can't pay me enough to work there after I graduate. Once I'm done I'm outta there (no offense). Not so much as the crime is scaring me, its just a depressing city overall. I still never quite understood why they need two malls right next door to each other...and a lot of the same stores are in each mall. Granted, I do like having two gamestops to shop at along with a PlayNTrade a few blocks away.

Oh if you do go back there, downtown stockton has been doing renovations on the streets for awhile, last time I was there (may) traveling around was more of a maze than it usually was with the one way streets

Yeah...can't pay me enough to work there after I graduate. Once I'm done I'm outta there (no offense). Not so much as the crime is scaring me, its just a depressing city overall. I still never quite understood why they need two malls right next door to each other...and a lot of the same stores are in each mall. Granted, I do like having two gamestops to shop at along with a PlayNTrade a few blocks away.

Oh if you do go back there, downtown stockton has been doing renovations on the streets for awhile, last time I was there (may) traveling around was more of a maze than it usually was with the one way streets

Well, I have to admit, being away from my wife to go to Pharm. school isn't the most attractive option, even if I get to live in a nice house all alone during the week (It's closer to Lodi than Stockton anyway). But... I agree, the city is depressing over all, with a real dour feeling to it. No offense taken... I went to Webster so I've got a hard exterior ;) (not to mention Bear Creek, home of California's first full-array metal detection system in a high school, replete with armed guards).

Oh, don't know the situation with your wife, but I'm guessing its a situation where she can't come live with you. That is quite a life you have lived. My HS was pretty nice and sheltered...the only time I've been through a metal detector was either for an airplane or when I went to court for a traffic ticket in Stockton. Police are more picky about rolling stops now from what they told me.

Oh, don't know the situation with your wife, but I'm guessing its a situation where she can't come live with you. That is quite a life you have lived. My HS was pretty nice and sheltered...the only time I've been through a metal detector was either for an airplane or when I went to court for a traffic ticket in Stockton. Police are more picky about rolling stops now from what they told me.

Did you grow up in Stockton? Sheltered, hmmm... Saint Mary's? LOL.

I have lived quite a life. Every time I interview somewhere, that's almost inexplicably what they say, without fail! I still feel old, though, compared to my colleagues who are 1st year pharmacy school students (and hell, even some of the 4th years at the hospital) and are barely cracking their Mid-20s, and I'm rapidly approaching the big 3-0.

Correct, my wife is staying in the bay area for school, so her coming with me is a complete no-go.

Nae not quite. I grew up in Orange County. I wouldn't feel bad about being around all us young'ins. I appreciate anyone who can dive in and continue their education at any age. Its not like your expecting to retire in five years...you've got quite a lot of years ahead of you.

I don't think I could ever live so far without my significant other for so long. I'm just dating someone right now and it hurts to be apart from her (norcal vs socal thing). As much as I think it'd be great for you to go to UoP I hope you get into UCSF so you're closer with your wife.

Nae not quite. I grew up in Orange County. I wouldn't feel bad about being around all us young'ins. I appreciate anyone who can dive in and continue their education at any age. Its not like your expecting to retire in five years...you've got quite a lot of years ahead of you.

I don't think I could ever live so far without my significant other for so long. I'm just dating someone right now and it hurts to be apart from her (norcal vs socal thing). As much as I think it'd be great for you to go to UoP I hope you get into UCSF so you're closer with your wife.

Thanks for the well wishes =] About the distance, we're accustomed to it. She was an Army wife, so being apart from me is par for the course, and the drive from Stockton to Berkeley is a great deal less than it would be to Balad, LOL. But, yeah, since I'm a civilian now we have adopted civilian customs and that includes not wanting to be separated for 3-4 years since the President isn't ordering me to be separated from her.

Is your girlfriend planning to come up here at all? Have you thought about the whole "saturation" issue in CA and the possibility of having to move out of state for a career?

Anyway I am about ready to keel over and have a volunteer shift tomorrow, so I'll be bidding you adieu. Thanks for the conversation and information about UoP!

Bah I am just not very clear tonight am I...lol. My gf is in norcal so she's already up there just separated for the summer.

You definitely shouldn't be apart from her now that you're back. Being an army wife is tough from what I heard, spare her, and yourself, the pain and stick with her now :laugh:

I've definitely thought about the whole CA saturation thing and I'm actually pretty optimistic about it. Only problem: I'm so optimistic that I have myself believing I'll land myself a job in Orange County right out of grad school ><

Enjoy your shift tomorrow. I'll be lazying about surfing SDN/playing games haha. If you got any other questions about UOP feel free to ask.

Stockton doesn't look too shabby during the day. All I see is a bunch of chain food stores and small businesses. Is it really that bad or am I missing something? With that said, I wouldn't want to be walking the streets of Stockton or SF at night either. =P

Stockton doesn't look too shabby during the day. All I see is a bunch of chain food stores and small businesses. Is it really that bad or am I missing something? With that said, I wouldn't want to be walking the streets of Stockton or SF at night either. =P

Granted I haven't moved up there yet, but the couple times I've been there, everything north of March Lane has been pretty decent I thought. You're gonna want to stay on the fringes of the city when possible...I think downtown is pretty awful, the area around school is OK though.

I think if you use common safety sense and pick a good location to live, you should be fine. Haven't heard any real horror stories from all the UOP grads I've talked to myself...

Members don't see this ad :)

That's what I think too. As long as you just go from school to shop to work to home, I think you'll be fine. I've been in Stockton for a few years now and haven't had any incidents.

That's what I think too. As long as you just go from school to shop to work to home, I think you'll be fine. I've been in Stockton for a few years now and haven't had any incidents.

I know a few people that have graduated from UOP. Most of them say that that Stockton is the worst city they've been to. Part of me believes that a big reason why people say this is because that seems to be the "cool" thing to say. I know of other people that have graduated from UOP that have had a decent time in Stockton, mostly because of a positive attitude surrounding the friendships they have made. I guess i'll find out first-hand soon.

It all depends on where you go and who you hang out with really. And to a large extent, if you avoid the Wilson Way-ish area, you don't go out a lot at night (and when you do, you stick to Pacific Avenue) and you have no gang ties, it IS pretty safe, as safe as any sprawling city can be.

We all tend to exaggerate how bad Stockton is because hey, it's a bit of notoriety and status to be voted more dangerous than Detroit and New York City!

I know a few people that have graduated from UOP. Most of them say that that Stockton is the worst city they've been to. Part of me believes that a big reason why people say this is because that seems to be the "cool" thing to say. I know of other people that have graduated from UOP that have had a decent time in Stockton, mostly because of a positive attitude surrounding the friendships they have made. I guess i'll find out first-hand soon.

we all blame Stockton for our miserable lives at school...at least I do haha

Its really not that bad. I will be moving for rotations this year and will kinda miss it :).

By the way,
IF anyone would like to buy some Quality furniture for CHEAP PM me. I also have books and some other stuff that maybe helpful in the future. :thumbup:

Its really not that bad. I will be moving for rotations this year and will kinda miss it :).

By the way,
IF anyone would like to buy some Quality furniture for CHEAP PM me. I also have books and some other stuff that maybe helpful in the future. :thumbup:

what specific furniture? I haven't furnished the new apt yet

Does anyone know if we have to get the specific brand listed for the stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, & the peak flow meter in the last mailing? I would want to get the more reasonably priced brands. Aznkukuboi, any advice??

Does anyone know if we have to get the specific brand listed for the stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, & the peak flow meter in the last mailing? I would want to get the more reasonably priced brands. Aznkukuboi, any advice??

I'll ask him in a bit.

To be honest, I don't think it matters since they are all used for the same purpose. However, I think everyone bought it from the school because it wasn't a bad deal. Also, everyone uses the same one, so it's a bit more uniform. If you are just too lazy to buy it from school, you can get away with your own.

Hi everyone! Have anyone else been pulled off the waitlist yet? :(

Congrats to those who got in!

HI Class of 2012!! I'm on the low waitlist for Class of 2013 and was wondering if anyone got in after being on the low waitlist last year?

any of middle waitlister got in yet???
please let us know once any of you finds out! thx.