UoP class is full by Feb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke to one of UOP's admission advisors today around noon and she told me that interviews are filled up til February. What that means is all the class seats will be filled by that time and any interviews in March and April will be for alternate seats only...

She basically told me that I have no chance in hell since I submitted my application in 10/19......

Members don't see this ad.

EyeAmCommi said:
I spoke to one of UOP's admission advisors today around noon and she told me that interviews are filled up til February. What that means is all the class seats will be filled by that time and any interviews in March and April will for alternate seats only...

She basically told me that I have no chance in hell since I submitted my application in 10/19......

yep, that's the same reponse i got. how sad, and i sent in everything back in july! :confused:

EyeAmCommi said:
I spoke to one of UOP's admission advisors today around noon and she told me that interviews are filled up til February. What that means is all the class seats will be filled by that time and any interviews in March and April will for alternate seats only...

Wow, how sad. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
uop can suck it

I guess that means that uop's entering stats for this year will be 3.97 GPA with a 24AA/26PAT...wow, that's so awesome...I would LOVE to be in that freshman class with those guys, it would be SOOOO FUN!

"Hey guys, wanna come over to my apartment after class and watch my Star Trek videos? Wanna read my 3rd dissertation? Wanna see whose valedictorian medal is heavier?"

Remember "...they didn't raise the bar...we did." -Pdizzle.

Keeping hope alive maybe some interview slots will open after Dec 1.

crushing hope.... they already have a pretty full slate of "alternate" interviews setup.

:) :) :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

better than crying

i need a tissue

OMG....that call from UOP finally came... :)

congratulations kittylover. you are the one "happy" post in this entire thread.

anyways....anyone know the average percentage of people who are accepted to UOP but choose to go elsewhere? UOP's not everyone's top choice and if most of the acceptees by Dec. 1 have stats that are as high as everyone says, i'm sure they got accepted to every school they applied to and some will decide not to go to UOP.

hopeful thought :D

thanks.. :)

they called at 5pm today...

Members don't see this ad :)
kittylover said:

Congratulations!

And, for what it is worth, don't dismiss being on an alternate list. I friend of mine had given up all hope of getting in during the current cycle and UOP called him a week before classes started and offered him a spot. Needless to say he took it and, yes, miracles can happen. :thumbup:

kittylover said:

Amazing in the midst of all this dissapointment.
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing when you submitted your application? Thanks.

EyeAmCommi said:
Amazing in the midst of all this dissapointment.
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing when you submitted your application? Thanks.

I submitted mine in July but UOP didn't process it until Sept... since they are still calling people, your # could be next!

kittylover said:
I submitted mine in July but UOP didn't process it until Sept... since they are still calling people, your # could be next!

wow, i'm still waiting :( i submitted mine if late July also.

Mine has been under review since September.

kittylover said:

I've already given up hope in UoP. I just hope I can get into UCSF now.

I wouldn't give up hope. Several of my classmates interviewed in April for alternate spots (waitlist # ~ 25) and still got in. There are plenty of applicants that decide not to attend after acceptance.

I submitted my stuff in July and finally got an interview with them for Jan 23rd. When they called me, they told me that it would be quite possible that interviews at that time even would be for alternate spots. Traditionally, they say that about 2/3 of the people they accept keep that spot and attend. It sounds like with the more intense competition this year it would make sense that more of those people would hold on to their letters and more than that would actually accept UoP. AARRGGH! I hate this waiting! Time will tell.

Okay enough is enough.

I know two students here at UCDavis who both got interviewed at UoP and they will probably get in. They're both in the same situation as me, 4th years ready to graduate and move on to dental school. The problem I am having is this...

This year is extremely competitive like everyone has been saying--advisors, peeps here on SDN, and even adcoms. Yet there are some disparities. I know three peeps who sent in their apps at the same time, or at least in the same month. 1 got snubbed so far. Can you guess which two got interviewed?

Example #1:
3.6ish GPA
19/19/19 DAT

Example #2:
3.3ish GPA
19/19/17 DAT

Example #3:
3.7ish GPA
23/23/20

If you guessed #1 and #2, you're right. #3 got snubbed this year. They all have similar backgrounds (dental shadowing, research, club officer positions, etc) yet the most prepared student gets passed on. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that competitiveness in numbers is a non-factor, or a really small factor. Rising GPAs and rising DAT scores are not affecting whether or not we get interviewed at UoP. Maybe the numbers are rising but its the other parts of your application that REALLY decide whether or not you get interviewed...not the GPA or the DATs.

What do you guys think?

I'm surprized, but i wont deny it in disbelief. This application process is a test of our characters. A very stern test, i must say.

EyeAmCommi said:
Example #1:
3.6ish GPA
19/19/19 DAT

Example #2:
3.3ish GPA
19/19/17 DAT

Example #3:
3.7ish GPA
23/23/20

If you guessed #1 and #2, you're right. #3 got snubbed this year. They all have similar backgrounds (dental shadowing, research, club officer positions, etc) yet the most prepared student gets passed on.

What do you guys think?

Are you serious?

I thought UoP wants at least a 20 or 21 to grant you an interview (at least that's what they told me)? How in the @#$% did #1 and #2 get one and #3 didn't? Are they from some disadvantaged background or there are some other things we don't know about? Is there anything that #1 and #2 have in common but #3 doesn't?

It may not be true in this case, but there have been people who got in with lower numbers. And the reason is that they have connection. But this is rare though. Most got in because of their sky rocking DAT.

EyeAmCommi said:
....Yet there are some disparities. I know three peeps who sent in their apps at the same time, or at least in the same month. 1 got snubbed so far. Can you guess which two got interviewed?

Example #1:
3.6ish GPA
19/19/19 DAT

Example #2:
3.3ish GPA
19/19/17 DAT

Example #3:
3.7ish GPA
23/23/20
If you guessed #1 and #2, you're right....What do you guys think?

I've always said UOP is a very strange school. It picks high AA, low GPA students over high AA, high GPA students. Just look at their stats for the previous 10 years. High GPA (esp. high sci. GPA) seems to be a big negative for UOP.

VegasBabyVegas said:
I guess that means that uop's entering stats for this year will be 3.97 GPA with a 24AA/26PAT...wow, that's so awesome..

No, probably high DAT and low GPA (as usual). That seems to be the combination UOP likes [based on the stats for the past many yrs].

I know of people with 25 AA, 22 AA and 21 AA and none got interviews. all submitted reasonably early and all have decent GPA's..... 25 come on.

luder98 said:
It may not be true in this case, but there have been people who got in with lower numbers. And the reason is that they have connection. But this is rare though. Most got in because of their sky rocking DAT.

I know people who have been granted interviews due to connections. As unfair as that sounds, it's how life works.

I think these applicants with connections only advantage is getting a free interview. However, I'm not sure if they get a clean slate. They might need to prove something extra to the interviewers and school compared to the average applicant who got an interview on their own. I heard that Yarborough said at interviews that those who are being interviewed now have a 98% chance of getting in. You think this applies to those with connections?

Unemployed said:
I know people who have been granted interviews due to connections. As unfair as that sounds, it's how life works.

I think these applicants with connections only advantage is getting a free interview. However, I'm not sure if they get a clean slate. They might need to prove something extra to the interviewers and school compared to the average applicant who got an interview on their own. I heard that Yarborough said at interviews that those who are being interviewed now have a 98% chance of getting in. You think this applies to those with connections?
Wish I knew someone at any university :( :( :( :( .

kittylover said:
Are you serious?

I thought UoP wants at least a 20 or 21 to grant you an interview (at least that's what they told me)? How in the @#$% did #1 and #2 get one and #3 didn't? Are they from some disadvantaged background or there are some other things we don't know about? Is there anything that #1 and #2 have in common but #3 doesn't?

I can definitely say that they are not disadvantaged. I know them pretty well and nothing in their background is any much different than #3's. It's all so random.

I just don't get it...

I think the message that I am getting from all this is that students should sack study time in favor of extracurricular activities, and instead of studying, use their connections to get in... That would have certainly helped my friend, #3.

Does anyone know when they start sending acceptance letters out?? And how long does it take for them to let you know what their decision is after you had your interview?? Days? Weeks?

Unemployed said:

Students with "connections" are not at a disadvantage during the interview process.

Hi Y'all,

Just FYI, I was one of those people who interviewed late last year (last day interviews were given) and was accepted about a month before school started. I was also told throughout the application cycle (past november, at least) that I basically had no chance and would need to re-apply to be accepted for the following year. Obviously didn't turn out that way, thank goodness. A bunch of other students were also accepted at the same time as me. The same thing happened w/ me at UCLA. Don't give up hope too soon! Good luck.

I was one of the lost interviewees on Thursday. I had a great time hanging out at the SimLab...your class rocks!

P.S. Jess D. is a cutie. She still got a bf?

Unemployed said:
I was one of the lost interviewees on Thursday. I had a great time hanging out at the SimLab...your class rocks!

P.S. Jess D. is a cutie. She still got a bf?

What do you mean by lost interview?? :) Did they say anything about your chances of getting accepted after you interview at UOP?

Happy83 said:
What do you mean by lost interview?? :) Did they say anything about your chances of getting accepted after you interview at UOP?

I got lost a few times during the tour of the campus. I just kept on talking to the first years in the SimLab. The director of admissions (Yarborough) said they accept 95-98% pre-Dec. 1. Hope that helps!

If I get that letter, I'll be there in July!

Good luck to all!

Unemployed said:
I got lost a few times during the tour of the campus. I just kept on talking to the first years in the SimLab. The director of admissions (Yarborough) said they accept 95-98% pre-Dec. 1. Hope that helps!

If I get that letter, I'll be there in July!

Good luck to all!

I"m curious. Who is Jessie D :D ?????

Since my printout is gonna get to UoP around the beginning of December, should I still mail them my $75 application fee check?

EyeAmCommi said:
Since my printout is gonna get to UoP around the beginning of December, should I still mail them my $75 application fee check?

yes, if you want to get in. It's never too late.

how important is $75 to you?

Man, I sent in my check and UoP cashed it the same day they received it. How money grubbing! :mad:

Guys, with the whole GPA/DAT thing, you're not mentioning the million other things on your application! Since UoP apparently doesn't have an obvious pattern with which of those two stats they like, they must put extra weight on some other factor, such as dental experience, letters of rec, extracurriculars, personal statemenet, etc.

This is the case for other schools, too! Nothing about this process is random.

I'm one of the ones in the "No decision/re-review in December" category. I spent a very discouraging few weeks analyzing and reanalyzing my application for something that may have turned off the admissions committee. At the end of it all I just threw my hands up in the air, realizing that there is no discernable logic in the adcoms' decision-making process.

i was told by kathleen candito that they are only know setting interviews for students w/ 20 or higher on all sections; uop undergrads are the exception due to the advantage of the accelerated programs:)

tinytwists@hotm said:
i was told by kathleen candito that they are only know setting interviews for students w/ 20 or higher on all sections; uop undergrads are the exception due to the advantage of the accelerated programs:)
on that note, if any of you have younger siblings or such that are interested in dentistry, encourage them to apply to uop's accelerated programs for undergrad. it makes things so much easier i think. you have one guarantee (uop) and you can still apply to other schools.
plus, the classes at uop are much easier i'm sure compared to the more prestigious colleges so if you can't even meet the requirement there, you probably weren't cut out for dentistry anyhow :laugh:

tinytwists@hotm said:
Yes, do encourage you sibilings to apply. However, UOP is not "so much easier." In fact, I believe UOP science students work hard and are given less credit due to the school's lower rank. Science classes here are challenging. The 5 yr program is good for someone who can come into freshman yr prepared to study v. hard. Then this person at the young age of 18/19 must take ochem over the summer or study on their own and then take the DAT. Also, in the first yr, you must make connections for your 3 recomendations and apply. after the whole summer of studying for ochem and dat, it's back to school again and guess what, if you're accepted, dental school starts in july...hehe...talk about burnt out
if you are a very intense and mature person, this program might be a great opportunity.
i entered this program and i am at best a borderline student.. i will probably be pushing to 6 yrs...b/c i was not cut out for it. like philicity, i thought uop would be easy. I mean uop's rank was ~104 and i chose it over other prestigious schools rank 8 in the country. I thought i was going to kick ass here, but if anything the teachers here have kicked my ass. hehhehehhe. i took the dat and did ok i believe for an 18yr old who never took ochem 19academic average/16pat bah...:( you need 17's across the board for the 5 yr program...they are strict.

so if i had to do it all over again, i probably wouldn't have done it any smarter cuz i didn't know any better. but like i said, if you are a very good student and u don't get brunt by long periods of studying w/o monthly breaks, go for it!!!!

i guess i just wanted to say all this b/c sooo many of my friends are pushing back from 5 to 6yrs or 6 to seven etc and every single one of them is like oh...there's so many classes i wanna take and i don't really wanna rush it and blah blah blah...

i mean yeah, it's hard to say, well, you know i really wanted to do this 5 yr thing but i didn't work hard enough so now i'll be doing 6 and that's ok. at least, you're not lying so fakely...and we could help each other get over it. bah did i write too much:)

*patpat* it's okay. :p i sense a little frustration

2 years or 3 years or 4 years of ungrad is not too shabby to have a near-guarantee acceptance into a good dental school. no one says you have to finish undergrad in two years, i agree it's a bit of a rush.
requirements are very possible to fulfill, especially for the 3+3 and 4+3 programs. considering the increasing standards of dental schools, students meeting the minimum requirements for the programs are extremely lucky to be in such a program. look at the stats of many of those who are still waiting for a call from uop--they're excellent. i would hate to be in their shoes. :(