UOP or Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSdecisions

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this. I'm just wondering if there is a large difference in quality of education between UOP and Tufts. I hear that Tufts is a much better school and 4 years is key for being prepared to start your own practice. What do you think?

Also, do you happen to know where I can find stats on avg. salary of a UOP grad vs. a Tufts grad?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

DDSdecisions said:
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this. I'm just wondering if there is a large difference in quality of education between UOP and Tufts. I hear that Tufts is a much better school and 4 years is key for being prepared to start your own practice. What do you think?

Also, do you happen to know where I can find stats on avg. salary of a UOP grad vs. a Tufts grad?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think the school has a direct affect on your salary if thats your primary concern.....

I don't think there is a good correlation between which school you graduate from and your earning potential. You said you heard that Tufts is a better school, in what way? I think rather than trying to base your decision on the ave. salary out of dental school, you should concentrate on which location you prefer and whether you want to be in school 3 or 4 years.

my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than salary... My dentist graduated from Tufts when it offered a 3-year program and he said he missed out on a more complete education because he chose to rush through it. The 3-year program is appealing for my short term interests, but I am wondering if you think it will negatively affect my career in the long term.

would you rather be in cold boston or great san fran? would you rather be done in 3 years or 4? ;)

DDSdecisions said:
Other than salary... My dentist graduated from Tufts when it offered a 3-year program and he said he missed out on a more complete education because he chose to rush through it. The 3-year program is appealing for my short term interests, but I am wondering if you think it will negatively affect my career in the long term.

Graduating from dental school is a little bit like a newborn getting weaned from mommie's breasts--the mommy is ready to let the kid move on, but the kid doesn't think it is quite ready. Doesn't matter if mom breast fed for 12 months or 6 years, the kid never feels ready. When it comes time to graduate, you'll be confident but apprehensive about starting a new career. You'll probably feel like you know absolutely nothing regardless of how long you spent in dental school. I wouldn't worry another minute about whether or not 3 years is enough time, but I'm a tad bit biased!

JavadiCavity said:
Graduating from dental school is a little bit like a newborn getting weaned from mommie's breasts--the mommy is ready to let the kid move on, but the kid doesn't think it is quite ready. Doesn't matter if mom breast fed for 12 months or 6 years, the kid never feels ready. When it comes time to graduate, you'll be confident but apprehensive about starting a new career. You'll probably feel like you know absolutely nothing regardless of how long you spent in dental school. I wouldn't worry another minute about whether or not 3 years is enough time, but I'm a tad bit biased!

great tit analogy

go to tufts!! i say that only b/c i have a few friends on the waiting list at UOP.

I know a couple of my classmates that had the same decision as you last year. Of the schools they got into, it came down to either Tufts or UOP, because they felt both schools felt very similar in their approach to dentistry. They're all from CA though, so location was a big factor, and they also wanted to finish in 3. But they're no slackers, these guys I know are all ranked in the top 10% of our class. Another thing to consider is where you may want to end up practicing. It'll be easier to find patients to take the WREB at UOP.

I would think that if 3 years really was inadequate, UOP would run into many more problems whenever the accreditation crew came snooping around. But instead, we usually get commendations for what is getting done. I don't know much about Tufts, but from what I hear, it's a great school. So just decide which one will make you feel the most comfortable with yourself. If you're going to be at UOP thinking about how you're missing out on a year of education, by all means, go to Tufts. There will be enough reasons to doubt yourself once school starts, no need to add another reason. :p

Thank you for all your responses. I will keep considering, but this helps a lot.

UOP hands down. If you're gonna pay the private school price might as well get out in 3 years and go somewhere with a track record of keeping students happy.

It is much harder to get to UOP than tufts. Tufts has a BIG class. 150 in one calss! Do not loose your chance with UOP. I have heard they call it the Disenyland of dental schools. That one year you can spend earning money! Good Luck!

sheri said:
It is much harder to get to UOP than tufts. Tufts has a BIG class. 150 in one calss! Do not loose your chance with UOP. I have heard they call it the Disenyland of dental schools. That one year you can spend earning money! Good Luck!

i'm not sure what you meant by this because UoP has a large class size as well (>140!)...but yes it is harder to get into UoP (who wouldn't want to be done a year earlier)....everything else being equal i think they are both great schools and you can't go wrong choosing between the two...

drhobie7 said:
UOP hands down. If you're gonna pay the private school price might as well get out in 3 years and go somewhere with a track record of keeping students happy.

second that.

things you want to keep in mind, 3 vs. 4 years, SF vs. Boston.

i lived in Boston for a few years, and though the city is AMAZING, you get tired of the cold winters and the hot/humid summers.

both schools are great though! i have not had a chance to check out UOP, but after my Tufts inteview I only had good things to say about the school. But the second year students have a lot of classes and A LOT of exams, scheduled one after the other, so they are particularly stressed that year. During the interview they even ask about how you deal with stress. then again, all the dental schools will be stressful at one point or another.

good luck.

UoP is closer to 135 people per class

DDSdecisions said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help.
go to Tufts

DDSdecisions said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help.
I shadow for a DDS that Grad from UOP and he says that they really prepare you well in the clinics. He did not do a residency...just straight Gen practice....