UOP vs Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenshen

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get into these great schools. I still haven't heard from my state school which would be closest to family and cheaper. But I have to go off of what my given choices are.

School 1: UOP (w/ scholarship)
Pros:
  • 3 year program, I am older so getting out sooner is nice
  • Amazing clinical/develop some of the best hand skills
  • San Francisco is where my wife and I would rather live, closest of the two options to home
Cons:
  • COST, expensive school & rent
School 2: Maryland (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great reputation and clinical program
  • Cheaper tuition and COA
Cons:
  • 4 years, but that is every other dental school
  • Much further from home and family support
  • Baltimore doesn't seem as nice a place to live
Summary: I'm torn because I have two parts of me saying to go either way. Emotional side says UOP for great program, closer to home, in a city I always wanted to live in, and in a shorter amount of time. But logical side says, Maryland and just suck it up being that much farther away for 4 years at the cheaper cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose UOP to save a year. When you factor in the extra year of income, I bet UOP is even cheaper too.

Reactions: 1 user
I would choose UOP to save a year. When you factor in the extra year of income, I bet UOP is even cheaper too.
UoP is not cheaper (Still ~500k to go there with 3% increase in tuition each year)...Costs breakdown:

First yearsecond yearthird year
Total$171,695$161,348$160,181

Tuition for Maryland: is around 86k a year for OOS before misc costs and housing, so it's probably going to be close on costs. The extra year out will probably help save some money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to switch to in-state tuition for Maryland after a year or two?

That extra year UoP “saves” you is probably more valuable the closer you are to retirement age. Also one less year of the BS and frustrations of dental school.

As an older married student, it’s a little easier getting work done and focus. In your 20s you want to go out, drink, date, discover the world etc. In your 30s you kinda know who you are and you know you’re there to work and get stuff done. Study on a schedule, procrastinate less, etc. I think that is advantageous for getting through a more intense 3 year curriculum.

Definitely read Ryxndek’s student loan planner link though, UoP is still super expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Every dentist I know who went to UoP LOVED it. The Dugoni Family offers a super special experience.

One of my interviewers at a SoCal school said UoP probably has the best clinical experience in the nation (They said [the SoCal school] had one of the best, and I asked what other schools were up there too... hence they answered UoP). I've heard only great things about the clinical experience and the campus is NICE. I interview there in January and, if I get accepted, I'm gonna have a tough decision to make since I'll be deciding UCLA v UoP.

Yeah the cost difference is there, but I think the whole "cheapest" catch-all answer is overhyped. Sure cost matters a lot, but there are other factors to consider. You gotta take into account the fact that UoP teaches you to be quick –> quick = more productive = more money. Idk about the clinical experience at Maryland, so look into that. Plus the 3 year education vs the 4 cuts out a lot of the crap (if you just wanna be a GP).

Reactions: 1 users