chikitabanana

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm trying to weigh out pros/cons of Michigan and UoP... Michigan would be OOS for me but still much less expensive than UoP. Anyone have any opinions/advice?

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
I'm trying to weigh out pros/cons of Michigan and UoP... Michigan would be OOS for me but still much less expensive than UoP. Anyone have any opinions/advice?
That is why you pick Michigan, unless there are other MAJOR contributing factors... but you didn't make it sound like there were.

Reactions: chikitabanana
Oct 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The cost difference is soo huge between UoP and Michigan (UOP is around 335k just in tuition & Michigan OOS is $234k) that you should automatically pick Michigan. That whole get out 1 year earlier argument is stupid and does not make sense mathematically. I heard that clinically Michigan is actually pretty decent. Ann Arbor beats SF hands down. SF is also the most expensive place to live in the United States. Ann Arbor isn't as expensive as SF, and if you find Ann Arbor to be too expensive you can easily commute. Can't easily commute around SF. And no, I am not on the waitlist for UOP lol.

OP
C

chikitabanana

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hmm yeah definitely good points! That's why I'm leaning towards Michigan... the cold is a little extreme though :(

sgv

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hmm yeah definitely good points! That's why I'm leaning towards Michigan... the cold is a little extreme though :(
imagine how many months that saved money could be used for your heating bills in the future

with that much money saved you could pay for low income mainers winter heating bill for a year

http://www.today.com/id/45699229/ for a guy with a creepy imagination, stephen king is a swell guy

Last edited:

kingenamel

5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2013
Status
I'd go with Michigan, winters last pretty darn long but the savings in tuition are well worth it. Michigan is well known and Ann Arbor is such a cool college town to live in. Congrats on getting into both, whichever you choose they are both awesome schools!

flegg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Do what makes you happy. All these paper-counting hobos worrying about how the debt winter is coming will never find enjoyment in their lives (and they probably should have gone into finance).

Why do they pretend that there isn't a difference besides $$ between schools with completely different faculty, staff, facilities, and surrounding communities? Because they are trying to justify their own choices to themselves.

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Do what makes you happy. All these paper-counting hobos worrying about how the debt winter is coming will never find enjoyment in their lives (and they probably should have gone into finance).

Why do they pretend that there isn't a difference besides $$ between schools with completely different faculty, staff, facilities, and surrounding communities? Because they are trying to justify their own choices to themselves.
Hi, I'm Earth! Have we met?

sgv

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Much laugh. Very predent.

UltimateHombre

Doc Holliday D.D.S.
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Your point will be acknowledged when you have been in 350K of unsecured debt and paid it off successfully. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP, please choose Mich! It's a great program and much, much cheaper. I promise your future self will be thanking you for saving money!

Also, please read this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/go-to-the-cheaper-school-a-cost-analysis.970137/ before making the final decision.

OP
C

chikitabanana

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow! You guys are all awesome! The responses are much appreciated :) It's really hard to look past that $100k difference

aqz

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Looks like there's really two major factors here. Location/tuition.

I went to Michigan for undergrad for the past 4 years. I think I got lucky with the community that I was plugged into here in Ann Arbor. Great transition from high school to college life. Since the dschool is right smack dab in the center of the undergrad campus, it will seem pretty lively once you're here.

But heck, I'm getting tired of it after 4 years haha. I would stay mostly for the community, but if that was not included I would highly argue SF > AA. You cannot compare the weather. Too bad it's UoP's tuition we're talking about....I would say come to Michigan as well.

OP
C

chikitabanana

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Looks like there's really two major factors here. Location/tuition.

I went to Michigan for undergrad for the past 4 years. I think I got lucky with the community that I was plugged into here in Ann Arbor. Great transition from high school to college life. Since the dschool is right smack dab in the center of the undergrad campus, it will seem pretty lively once you're here.

But heck, I'm getting tired of it after 4 years haha. I would stay mostly for the community, but if that was not included I would highly argue SF > AA. You cannot compare the weather. Too bad it's UoP's tuition we're talking about....I would say come to Michigan as well.
Yeah I definitely see what you are saying. Louisville is another more financially feasible option of mine as well- only about 30k more than Michigan. It's just hard to weigh out the options!

ramborhino

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2013
Status
This comment leads me to think SDN should acquire the motto: "serving truly terrible unsolicited and anonymous advice since 1999"

Reactions: Illfavor and Swoops
Jul 4, 2013
Status
I think U of P has a stronger reputation clinically. But I doubt Michigan is that far off. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd personally go to U of P

Troyvdg

Dentistry not Debtistry
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
Status
Pre-Dental
Both great schools. As you know, SF is amazing, but from my visits seems like Michigan provides more options (different program tracks, research, externship sites, etc); and it's less expensive? Sounds like Go Blue! to me.