UOP vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileforme713

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to live in San Francisco, I am tired of living in NYC. I am really having trouble deciding between UOP and UCSF, they both seem to offer really different but also really appealing options. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a tough one.

The popular and quick answer is that if you know you are not gonna specialize and are cool with spending a lot more for your school, UoP. You're out in three years and ready to go with good clinical skills.

UCSF if you want to do research or want your first summer off! :)

Pros for UCSF:

No grades. No competition and the students all help each other a lot. (share notes, advice, tips from instructors, etc.)

Cheaper.

Not as fast paced. Some would say you learn more without having to rush a 4 year program into 3.

I'm very happy with UCSF and wouldn't go anywhere else in the country. Get some opinions from UoP peeps to help make your decision.

I don't think I want to specialize, I am planning to take over two family practices, but I got the feeling that UCSF had a lot more to offer than UOP. People seemed happier at UOP, but at UCSF there are all the other professional schools, there is the DDS/MBA program, and the opportunity to research if I wanted to. Also I feel like UCSF is a much higher caliber school? Three years is nice but it is also much more expensive at UOP... I just don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into both schools but ended up choosing UOP because I thought it was a better fit for my goals. UOP offered me a small scholarship which cut the price difference for the schools to about $60k. Rather than spend an extra year in school, I thought I felt it would be worth it to get a faster start on establishing a practice since this is a career change for me. After interviewing at both schools, I knew I would be happier and more comfortable at UOP. Not to say UCSF doesn't have a lot to offer, but I am not interested in research or academics. I also am pretty set on becoming a GP, so having a lack of specialties at the school is an advantage since we get more exposure to cases that would likely be passed on to residents at UCSF.

sounds like you were in the same position as I am now. Thank you for the advice, I'll probably be seeing you next year!;)

I'm pretty sure I want to live in San Francisco, I am tired of living in NYC. I am really having trouble deciding between UOP and UCSF, they both seem to offer really different but also really appealing options. Any suggestions?

UCSF!! :)

There are no dental school rankings, so the outside world won't know which schools are good and which are bad. Hell, all of us are left to speculate, and all comments have been highly biased. Overall, no one knows which school is great.

However, there ARE medical school rankings, and in the health world, UCSF's is king of the west. No other school comes close. In comparison to Pacific, Pacific DOESN'T EXIST!!!! No one knows about Pacific. I surely hadn't ever heard of it before I shopped around for dental schools, and it's highly unlikely that any non-dental has heard of the school. If you want the ability to sell yourself, there's no second to UCSF in the westcoast.

Why would you have to sell yourself to anyone who's not in the dental field? :laugh:

Your patients could care less where you went to school, and specializing is about YOU, not the school's reputation.

Why would you have to sell yourself to anyone who's not in the dental field? :laugh:

Your patients could care less where you went to school, and specializing is about YOU, not the school's reputation.

lol, every time I see your avatar I think you're that one guy from The Lounge.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no dental school rankings, so the outside world won't know which schools are good and which are bad. Hell, all of us are left to speculate, and all comments have been highly biased. Overall, no one knows which school is great.

However, there ARE medical school rankings, and in the health world, UCSF's is king of the west. No other school comes close. In comparison to Pacific, Pacific DOESN'T EXIST!!!! No one knows about Pacific. I surely hadn't ever heard of it before I shopped around for dental schools, and it's highly unlikely that any non-dental has heard of the school. If you want the ability to sell yourself, there's no second to UCSF in the westcoast.

Umm, so I think you forgot about UW being on the west coast. Including both research and primary care, UW is tops out of anyone, anywhere. I know this thread is about schools in San Fran, but I just had to plug UW here, because it's unbelievable how many people don't realize this. Yes this is for medicine, but the dental school has just about the same reputation, and it is well deserved.

check these out...

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

Umm, so I think you forgot about UW being on the west coast. Including both research and primary care, UW is tops out of anyone, anywhere. I know this thread is about schools in San Fran, but I just had to plug UW here, because it's unbelievable how many people don't realize this. Yes this is for medicine, but the dental school has just about the same reputation, and it is well deserved.

check these out...

Washington University in St Louis (WUSL) is not the same as University of Washington in the state of Washington. WUSL doesn't have a dental school.

Washington University in St Louis (WUSL) is not the same as University of Washington in the state of Washington. WUSL doesn't have a dental school.

Im pretty sure he knows that. He was referring to UW being 7th in research and 1st in primary care.

Uhh, I didn't say anything about WUSL... I was indeed referring to University of Washington, which is ranked 1 in prim. care, and 7 in research, the highest combined ranking..enough about medicine, UofW dental school is all that matters anyway.

Lets put things in perspective. Everyone knows about USC, everyone has heard of it, but how come not that many top caliber students are actually going to USC? Because there is reputation in the Dental Community that you might want to go elsewhere. Not many in the general public have heard of Pacific, but there are people who are seriously debating between it and Harvard. Why? Because it has a wonderful reputation as a fine school in the dental community. The community trumps the general public anyday in my book.

Not that I am taking anything away from UCSF, but the argument is lacking.

Lets put things in perspective. Everyone knows about USC, everyone has heard of it, but how come not that many top caliber students are actually going to USC? Because there is reputation in the Dental Community that you might want to go elsewhere. Not many in the general public have heard of Pacific, but there are people who are seriously debating between it and Harvard. Why? Because it has a wonderful reputation as a fine school in the dental community. The community trumps the general public anyday in my book.

Not that I am taking anything away from UCSF, but the argument is lacking.

Other dentists aren't coming to see you. Your patients are. It's your choice if you want to sell yourself to people you won't be doing business with.

Look up dentists' websites. See how they try to attract patients. Of course, they all include profiles of teeth, work quality, etc. The school they went to are included in virtually all their resumes. Don't think for a second you guys won't do the same thing...

...Jane Doe, A Harvard Dentist

...Mary Jane, USC Dental school, ...regularly teaches classes at U. Pacific. 20 Years experience in Veneers.

I've also noticed Dentists who when to great Undergrad schools put down their schools.

....BS, University of Michigan; DDS Stony Brook.

while there are those that presumably went to unranked school purposely leave it out...

....DDS, Columbia University. [BS, no name school]

You decide how you want to sell yourself. Pacific's a great dental school, and its graduates will be very well-trained. UCSF grads are comparable, and there are no significant indications that they're any less trained. However, those that go to UCSF will have an added marketing tool.

check these out...

UW's a giant in the northwest. I'm only discerning between UoP and UCSF. The biggest benefit of UoP is the 3 year gig. Other than that, UCSF is king.

Regarding my dental education I would listen to the experts. They understand what it takes to do well in practice and that is good hand skills, the ability to put others at ease, not cause a lot pain, etc. So if they respect a school, it is probably because they are good at training dentists who do those things. And that sells.

I actually took you up on your offer about looking at Dentist's websites, and I looked at quite a few. Guess what percentage of practicing dentists mentioned either what dental or undergraduate school they attended on their homepage? Thats right, zero. All of them mentioned the other things. I guess they figured that their diplomas were not going to get them any points over a good chairside dentist.

Regarding my dental education I would listen to the experts. They understand what it takes to do well in practice and that is good hand skills, the ability to put others at ease, not cause a lot pain, etc. So if they respect a school, it is probably because they are good at training dentists who do those things. And that sells.

I actually took you up on your offer about looking at Dentist's websites, and I looked at quite a few. Guess what percentage of practicing dentists mentioned either what dental or undergraduate school they attended on their homepage? Thats right, zero. All of them mentioned the other things. I guess they figured that their diplomas were not going to get them any points over a good chairside dentist.

You'd have to search for their CV. And oh, that's right... I looked up cosmetic dentists. When the procedures are 12-30k a pop, they care more about the reputation of the dentist. (the rep of the school is just one facet of the dentist's rep) I wouldn't give a crap about where I get my fillings done either.

I wouldn't mind going to either UoP or UCSF. They're both great schools.

You'd have to search for their CV. And oh, that's right... I looked up cosmetic dentists. When the procedures are 12-30k a pop, they care more about the reputation of the dentist. (the rep of the school is just one facet of the dentist's rep) I wouldn't give a crap about where I get my fillings done either.

I wouldn't mind going to either UoP or UCSF. They're both great schools.

Well, I dont want to get in a pissing contest with you here, I can see where this is headed. It is enough for me to say that I checked a lot of different types of dentistry and they all pretty much offered the same things right off the bat to sell their potential customers. Where they went to school wasnt one of them. That is the last I have to say about that.

I do agree with you that UCSF is a great school, from what I have heard. Good luck if that is where you decide to go.

I don't want to upset all of my UoP friends, but I would definitely be in SF next year if I got an acceptance from UCSF.

I don't want to upset all of my UoP friends, but I would definitely be in SF next year if I got an acceptance from UCSF.

What if they didnt offer any scholarship money like the other schools that have accepted you?

By the way, great game tonight (Suns vs. Nets).

What if they didnt offer any scholarship money like the other schools that have accepted you?

By the way, great game tonight (Suns vs. Nets).

It would still be cheaper than UoP with my scholarship. :(

And yeah, that game must have been something to see! I was at school studying, but I was reading the play-by-play on my laptop. Crazy!

I think its funny that a potential 100 grand for me at UPenn could be riding on where in her drawer and other pple decide to go within the next 2 weeks. Its a small world.

I think its funny that a potential 100 grand for me at UPenn could be riding on where in her drawer and other pple decide to go within the next 2 weeks. Its a small world.

well you can have mine, soon

ah cmon, if you are sure u arent going then cancel! they recycle them immidiately...which would be impt for me (if i deserve it).

i need it for negotiation purposes, just a couple more days though ;)