Up to date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, my hospital does not have an institutional subscription to up to date. Do you think it is worth purchasing my own? Is there any other program similar to up to date that any of you have worked with that you have found more useful?

Members don't see this ad.

Emedicine is a great site and it's free. You won't be able to look up drugs as easily as on Up-to-date, but if you carry a Sanford guide and pharmacopeia with you it won't matter.

Hey there, my hospital does not have an institutional subscription to up to date. Do you think it is worth purchasing my own? Is there any other program similar to up to date that any of you have worked with that you have found more useful?

No, it is not worth purchasing on your own. I second the opinion that Emedicine is a good free alternative.

To be honest, I barely ever used UpToDate as an intern. If your hospital doesn't provide you with an official subscription to UpToDate, substitute with whatever resource you want. My favorites are:

1) Ask senior resident.
2) A pocket reference or PDA reference.
3) Emedicine.
4) Google.

No, it is not worth purchasing on your own. I second the opinion that Emedicine is a good free alternative.

To be honest, I barely ever used UpToDate as an intern. If your hospital doesn't provide you with an official subscription to UpToDate, substitute with whatever resource you want. My favorites are:

1) Ask senior resident.
2) A pocket reference or PDA reference.
3) Emedicine.
4) Google.

Thanks for reminding me about e-medicine. I completely forgot about it!

UpToDate is the biggest scam in medicine. Take a look at the references at the end of their articles, all their citation are old as hell.

Do you work in a VA Hospital at all? With my VA system home access I get Up to Date free. Once I got approved for my VA remote access and got everything set up all I have to do is open CPRS and I can get to it (and many others) from there. Does anyone else do that?