Upcoming 1st Year....any suggestions?

Started by SplinkMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SplinkMD

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to be a 1st year medical student next year and am very much interested in plastic surgery. I know that I shouldnt pick a medical school based on its plastic surgery reputation, therefore I am going to pick the school best suited for me. However, I want to make my application as strong as possible in order to increase my chances at a match. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do throughout medical school to make life easier when it comes time for the match? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also what is the average Step1 and 2 scores that I should be aiming at? Thanks again.
 
SplinkMD said:
I am going to be a 1st year medical student next year and am very much interested in plastic surgery. I know that I shouldnt pick a medical school based on its plastic surgery reputation, therefore I am going to pick the school best suited for me. However, I want to make my application as strong as possible in order to increase my chances at a match. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do throughout medical school to make life easier when it comes time for the match? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also what is the average Step1 and 2 scores that I should be aiming at? Thanks again.

i think most of us reading these boards are applying now or considering doing so in the future, so perhaps you'll get a more reliable answer after the match.

some things that may help your chances (to what degree is quite variable): coming from a good school, supposedly doing well on step 1, doing plastics research, doing well in school, etc. in my conversations with several residents and program directors, they seem to pay a lot of attention to letters of rec, especially when they come from people they know.