vector2

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
5,145
9,684
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
56yo F scheduled for a left partial robotic assisted nephrectomy. 5.3 x 3.9cm lesion which was thought originally to be a cyst, but is now enhancing with contrast and growing since last imaging. She has a history of:

-CAD s/p DES to L cfx in 2007. Rethrombosed 9/2015 and was angioplastied and restented. She has been on DAPT since this time. Also has likely total ostial occlusion of RCA with collaterals as no RCA was visualized.
-currently 2-3 mets, has not had stress test since stenting
-PAD s/p L SFA stent
-hx TIA
-COPD with 40 pack year hx. still smoking 1ppd. on meds. no home O2
-HTN on coreg, hydralazine, and norvasc. 179/70 at pre-op visit
-CKD III
-GERD
-Obese
-Anxiety/depression on celexa (crying at pre-op visit about anesthesia/surgery fears)

2d echo, 9/2015 right before hitting the cath lab
CONCLUSIONS
1 - Normal left ventricular systolic function (EF 60-65%).
2 - Concentric hypertrophy.
3 - Moderate left atrial enlargement.
4 - Left ventricular diastolic dysfunction. Pseudonormalization filling with increase filling pressures.

RV function appears normal. No TR, no PASP in echo report

EKG now
Sinus bradycardia
LVH with repolarization abnormality
Cannot rule out Septal infarct ,age undetermined
Abnormal ECG
When compared with ECG of 22-FEB-2016 14:16,
Minimal criteria for Septal infarct are now Present
T wave inversion now evident in Inferior leads
T wave inversion more evident in Anterior leads

CBC and CMP are wnl except for decreased GFR.


Urologist has had frank discussion about risks of surgery. Pt does not want to wait until September to get the tumor out. Joint discussion with cardiologist leads to plan to hold DAPT for only 3 days instead of 7-10.

This is probably a routine case for the old timers, but would like to hear from students/residents about concerns or challenges. How do you proceed?
 
Last edited:

Hoya11

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
1,070
706
Status (Visible)
What other options do you have? Intubate and put in 2 IVs and an aline and do the case. Discuss possible post op ventilation. Might need a neo drip. Lots of descriptive detail there, but this is like an everyday case...right?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Chloroform4Life

5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
369
212
Milky Way
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Stopping dapt is likely fine after 6 months per AHA's recently updated guideline.

If no change in symptoms from 9 months ago, procceed.

If change in sx, consider discuss with cardiologist if stress test can lead to reintervention....it likely won't, especially if the tumor is suspected to be cancer.
 

Robotic Wis-Hipple

SDN Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2016
704
908
In the timeline you have you aren't fixing anything with her heart pre-surgery so it's all mental masturbation for nothing. Epidural would likely benefit her both from intraop MVO2 and postop MV requirement/splinting standpoints but that too is off the table. Soooo, cardiologist recommendation style, acceptable risk for GA, avoid hypoxia and tachycardia
 
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads