Update AMCAS/AACOMAS with recent grades, or schools directly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question applies equally to AMCAS and AACOMAS. I didn't see anything listed on their websites while browing through them about updating your coursework with transcripts from the current (fall) semester. And with the delay for them to verify transcripts and resend to all the schools, that wouldn't seem to be a good option anyway.

So is it normal to send recent transcripts to schools for which you are still under consideration in some form? I'm a returning non-trad student, and a significant number of my medical pre-requisites were taken this semester (4 with labs, all required for med schools). Previous coursework was 6-10 years ago. I managed a 4.0 for this group, and since this semester represents ~40% of my required sciences it would be nice if the schools were aware that I haven't gone brain dead academically since the last time I was a student. :laugh:

Anyway, any protocol on sending transcripts? Since they are usually send directly from the registrar's office, I don't see how they could be accompanied with a letter. Call/email the school first to see if they are interested in receiving the update? Just send the transcripts? Send an email indicating that this semester's transcript is en route?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless a school has told you that they don't want transcript updates (ie, I know Stanford says they will throw them away), go ahead and send the transcripts directly to the schools. Worst case scenario, they discard them. In any case, it can't hurt to send the transcripts. You could email/write to let them know the transcripts are coming, but I'd be inclined to say that this isn't really necessary.

osli said:
This question applies equally to AMCAS and AACOMAS. I didn't see anything listed on their websites while browing through them about updating your coursework with transcripts from the current (fall) semester. And with the delay for them to verify transcripts and resend to all the schools, that wouldn't seem to be a good option anyway.

So is it normal to send recent transcripts to schools for which you are still under consideration in some form? I'm a returning non-trad student, and a significant number of my medical pre-requisites were taken this semester (4 with labs, all required for med schools). Previous coursework was 6-10 years ago. I managed a 4.0 for this group, and since this semester represents ~40% of my required sciences it would be nice if the schools were aware that I haven't gone brain dead academically since the last time I was a student. :laugh:

Anyway, any protocol on sending transcripts? Since they are usually send directly from the registrar's office, I don't see how they could be accompanied with a letter. Call/email the school first to see if they are interested in receiving the update? Just send the transcripts? Send an email indicating that this semester's transcript is en route?