Update from MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What worries me, though, is that according to the Rejection thread, not a single person on SDN has been rejected so far. So I'm not sure how excited to be about this message - it appears that everyone has received it.

I don't think that everyone has received it. It just means that they haven't started sending out rejections yet (many schools haven't). I think that what it means is that when they start sending rejections out, we won't be receiving one. At least not until the end of the interview season if we haven't been selected for an interview by then. Think of it as a pre-interview hold. It means you made the first cut, but your fate is still uncertain.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that everyone has received it. It just means that they haven't started sending out rejections yet (many schools haven't). I think that what it means is that when they start sending rejections out, we won't be receiving one. At least not until the end of the interview season if we haven't been selected for an interview by then. Think of it as a pre-interview hold. It means you made the first cut, but your fate is still uncertain.

That's a good way to think of it, although it's slightly better than a pre-interview hold b/c everyone who gets an interview must first get the message.

Coming to MCW? Bring a road bike and your beer drinking shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno what's wrong with you people. I'm coming in a cheese hat.

for those of you who received the letter today, how long had you been complete? I was complete on 8/29, but still have had no response..

Any dog sledding? Maybe I can wrap my 25 lb rat terrier up in a fur dog coat and teach him to drag me across campus on a sled. That should make an impression.

How about intern sledding - residents get dragged around campus?

Any dog sledding? Maybe I can wrap my 25 lb rat terrier up in a fur dog coat and teach him to drag me across campus on a sled. That should make an impression.
Sorry, that's up where I live.

Yeah, guess I should save that little number for UVM. Then again, mid-October won't cut it. I'll have to hope for a winter MCW interview. Trust me, they've got more than enough snow there to do the mushing thing, even if it's not quite canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about intern sledding - residents get dragged around campus?

Yeah, guess I should save that little number for UVM. Then again, mid-October won't cut it. I'll have to hope for a winter MCW interview. Trust me, they've got more than enough snow there to do the mushing thing, even if it's not quite canada.

You guys are all random and worthy enough to join us in the insanity known as the MCW class threads.

Hey Ashers! What's your favorite thing about MCW?

Hey Ashers! What's your favorite thing about MCW?
They accepted her?:idea:

:hardy:

I hope to get an interview there because I went to school in MN and have tons of friends there, so flying or driving to Wisc, I could stop by in MN for a few days.

They accepted her?:idea:

:hardy:

I hope to get an interview there because I went to school in MN and have tons of friends there, so flying or driving to Wisc, I could stop by in MN for a few days.

Ashers is a current med student at MCW, I believe.

for those of you who received the letter today, how long had you been complete? I was complete on 8/29, but still have had no response..

I completed about 3 days before you.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I said her favorite thing must be that they accepted her.:p

ah ok haha. I misunderstood your post. Agreed. If ANY school accepts me that'll def be my favorite thing about them :) lol

Ashers is a current med student at MCW, I believe.

Yes, jochi, they did accept me, though sometimes, maybe they regret it, like any time I gave tours with a few of my friends, and we went to harrass one of the people that helps out with the tours on interview day. My signature says it. I'm an M3. I'll start with the easier stuff. What I don't like: I don't like the weather, and sometimes the disorganization in classes annoyed me.

I like having a big class; there's always a bunch of people you don't know. On some of my rotations, I've been with people I've never spoken to before them, and they're really cool. So I have my normal group of friends, but then there are lots of different people.

I like the curriculum -- especially comparing it to my sister's (she's at USC -- So Cal), and I think MCW's works better for me. Organ based within subjects, but not completely between subjects. There's also pretty cool stuff to do at school -- lots of interest groups and opportunities for recreation (I play in the jazz band). The faculty and staff are really nice too, and want to help med students. The focus of the school is the med school, since it's not attached to a big U with a sports team etc. It's also really nice that there's not too much PBL. PBL and small group = waste of time that suck away from study time.

On rotations, I've had fun (psych, neuro and OB/gyn) -- all of the clinical faculty are like basic science, they like teaching med students.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I said her favorite thing must be that they accepted her.:p

Have you read the story on here that I've posted before about how I got in. That actually is a good reason for me to like it.

In short: For the 3 years before me there was a lot of waitlist movement. Then my year, it was incredibly slow, and I almost had to go to my state school, then they let me in! Good times. So glad I'm not at my state school (all PBL).

so how long after getting placed on the smaller app pool do pple get interbviews?

so how long after getting placed on the smaller app pool do pple get interbviews?

email does not equal interview. i had that email last year and got rejected like in march. its just a 'smaller' (screened) pool they choose applicants from. I think the pool is for ppl who they have not made a decision to reject or interview.

And if you don't ... drink beer? :p
66ljwo7.gif

you don't drink beer? just cancel your MCW application right now already.

I got the favorable pool email today. How did the september recipients of the email fair?

^ I received that email today, too...hopefully good news comes soon!

I got an invite from them last week and the available interview dates were Nov 2 and 16. I believe they only interview on Fridays FWIW. They tend to send out interview invites near the very end/beginning of months as that is when their ADCOM meets AFAIK.

I got an invite from them last week and the available interview dates were Nov 2 and 16. I believe they only interview on Fridays FWIW. They tend to send out interview invites near the very end/beginning of months as that is when their ADCOM meets AFAIK.

every other friday. Last Friday was the first day of interviewing.

same thing happened to me

I got that message today too. I hope there are still enough invites left...

I got that message today too. I hope there are still enough invites left...
It's only the first week of October! Oh, SDN!
Yay, smaller pool of applicants who potentially will be invited to interview with MCoW!

Yeah I recieved that same message on 10/08. I am pleased that I didnt get a rejection or hold notice, but being an anxious pre-med I am curious about the time it takes to recieve a change in status after this message.

Yeah I recieved that same message on 10/08. I am pleased that I didnt get a rejection or hold notice, but being an anxious pre-med I am curious about the time it takes to recieve a change in status after this message.
LOL, it is basically a hold.

Have hope people! I got that same letter, and a week later, I got an interview invite! But for some reason, all of the interview time slots were full in November (or at least that's what the Admissions Office Personnel told me)...now, I'll just have to wait for my interview in December. Poo.

I checked to see when my email came and I was a bit surprised to see that I got it on Oct 8 as well. I'm really anxious to get my first interview, so I guess it seemed like that email came a long time ago.

All this waiting is killing me! Especially after having only been verified in mid september after having my primary and transcripts all submitted late July.

LOL, it is basically a hold.

That message isn't a hold. It's a good thing to get. A hold would be not getting the message.

I got the message in late August and got an invite in early October.

I submitted on 9/14 and have heard nothing

anyone else in a similar situation?

What's important is your complete date, not when you submitted the secondary. It's likely if you are going to get an interview, you probably won't get this message until nov.

I have been complete since the middle of July and haven't heard a gd thing. Not even one of these e-mails. Everytime I call they say, you should be going to the committee shortly. I am an in state resident and my dad graduated from there and stats and jazz are all matriculation avg. What is the name of the admissions dean, is it Michael Istwan, is there anyway I can call him and not the office, or do I call the office and ask for him?

hey, i was completed on 7/5 and got that probably two months after. A few weeks ago I got the interview invitation...I think they give a lot of attention to when your app was completed

What's important is your complete date, not when you submitted the secondary. It's likely if you are going to get an interview, you probably won't get this message until nov.

What I MEANT to say is I was complete on 8/14 (secondaries and interviews have me worn down)

hey, i was completed on 7/5 and got that probably two months after. A few weeks ago I got the interview invitation...I think they give a lot of attention to when your app was completed
schweet! i was complete maybe 2 weeks and then i got this message. is this good? bad? indifferent? sleepy? [word]?
I'm actually really excited about milwaukee just because of this building. yes, i am a dork for buildings.
k thx.

schweet! i was complete maybe 2 weeks and then i got this message. is this good? bad? indifferent? sleepy? [word]?
I'm actually really excited about milwaukee just because of this building. yes, i am a dork for buildings.
k thx.

It's good news, most ppl that got the message got an interview invite one of the next times the adcom met (end of the month supposedly)

It's good news, most ppl that got the message got an interview invite one of the next times the adcom met (end of the month supposedly)

Yes, I got that message on 10/08. Now my hopes are up for an email this week. :hardy: