Update from MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicana100

Pure Juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get this?

This is NOT an invitation to interview

Dear Applicant: Thank you for your continuing interest in the Medical College of Wisconsin.

The committee has completed its review of your application. It has been favorably reviewed and moved to a smaller pool of applicants who potentially will be invited to interview with us. That pool is still much larger then our interview schedule can accommodate. So, candidates are selected to receive an invitation by strength of credentials and completion date of application. If and when we get to your application in this process we will be happy to email you an invitation.

Again, thank you for your interest.

Michael Istwan
Director of Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get this?

Dear Applicant: Thank you for your continuing interest in the Medical College of Wisconsin.

The committee has completed its review of your application. It has been favorably reviewed and moved to a smaller pool of applicants who potentially will be invited to interview with us. That pool is still much larger then our interview schedule can accommodate. So, candidates are selected to receive an invitation by strength of credentials and completion date of application. If and when we get to your application in this process we will be happy to email you an invitation.

Michael Istwan
Director of Admissions

I haven't gotten that email - I was complete 7/19 (but they did have some kind of mix up with my app). When were you complete?

Anyone else get this?

Michael Istwan
Director of Admissions

According to people last year, they either immediately interview people, put them in this pool, or reject them. However, i don't think they've granted any interviews yet, so they might be putting everyone that may get an interview in this pool to start, then pulling them out as they grant interviews (although this is not their normal procedure, apparently)

MCW was the very first school I was complete at (7/6) so that helps I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I just received this as well...not sure what this means exactly, but I guess it's better than rejection.

I just got this as well. It's kind of confusing as to what it really means (i.e. does it mean that we are good candidates for an interview or that we've been passed over initially for an interview??). Keepin my fingers crossed. :luck:

Yes I just received this as well...not sure what this means exactly, but I guess it's better than rejection.

From what people said last year, it's a good thing, but not a guarantee of an interview. However, since no one has got a MCW interview invite yet to my knowledge, until we start seeing interview invites from people that didn't get the message, we might still get them soon. I believe they will start actual interview invites in a week if they follow last year's schedule.

Hm, I was complete 7/9. Maybe my "application has been reviewed unfavorably" rejection letter is in the mail. Hooray!

Anyone else get this?

Michael Istwan
Director of Admissions

I got this email. I don't know what to make of it. I was complete on 7/27, but my numbers aren't that great. Hopefully I can get an interview.

Hm, I was complete 7/9. Maybe my "application has been reviewed unfavorably" rejection letter is in the mail. Hooray!

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. It could be that they simply haven't finished sending off those emails yet - I'd wait til the end of the day to see if you got one. Alternatively, it could be that those who got the email are being put in a kind of "temp-hold" stack and apps will be pulled from that stack and invited on a rolling basis, whereas those who have not received the email will get a direct invite or rejection. Who knows?

According to people at MCW, the interview matters a lot, relative to some schools (like the other Wisconsin state school)

From the message, it sounds like they only started to put applicants into an interviewable pool. I think they will start a second round of reviews to select people for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the message, it sounds like they only started to put applicants into an interviewable pool. I think they will start a second round of reviews to select people for interviews.

This is the same vibe I got from the email.

got the same email, i was complete about a month ago. hopefully it's not just for people who have been passed over for interviews.

You people seriously need to chill out. Being in this pool is a good thing, not a bad one.

got the same email, i was complete about a month ago. hopefully it's not just for people who have been passed over for interviews.

drizzt is right; it's for people who may still get interviews. People like me, who didn't receive the e-mail, are the ones passed over.

drizzt is right; it's for people who may still get interviews. People like me, who didn't receive the e-mail, are the ones passed over.

Again, I beg to differ. I don't think that if you applied early and didn't get that email today necessarily means that you've been passed over. I'm in the same position you are, and I refuse to believe I've already been rejected based on not receiving that email. If next week only those that received this email begin to get interviews, then I'll start to worry. For now, I think it's premature. Keep your chin up zip!

Again, I beg to differ. I don't think that if you applied early and didn't get that email today necessarily means that you've been passed over. I'm in the same position you are, and I refuse to believe I've already been rejected based on not receiving that email. If next week only those that received this email begin to get interviews, then I'll start to worry. For now, I think it's premature. Keep your chin up zip!

I wasn't implying that everyone who didn't get the email is rejected, just saying that getting the email doesn't necessarily imply a pre-interview hold.

I received that email.

I was complete on 6/28, and I never got the email...but this thread has me hopeful that I will hear something soon...good or bad!!

Got it also.

A lot of schools don't send out messages to everyone on the same day, even for seemingly simple things like this or even unscreened secondaries. It's early, so let's wait and see what happens.

we don't start interviews here until early october. So I would assume the invites won't come out for a little bit more.

<================still haven't heard from them

Don't freak out about this letter. I was complete there in early September last year and got it too. Had an interview invite by early December, interviewed in late January, and was accepted a week later. This letter is just an UPDATE. There are still tons of applications that they have to process before they start scheduling interviews. Good luck to all of you.

does your status page reflect that you are in the "possible interview" file or not?

bump

since teakae got the first sdn mcw invite yesterday and didn't get this email, hopefully this will be good news to everyone who didn't get this email either! :)

:luck:

My cousin is a M1 at MCW and said she got this email in August and was invited a week later, fwiw.

i received this update last week, and was invited for an interview. so i'm thinking it's a good thing for all the people that got it.

i received this update last week, and was invited for an interview. so i'm thinking it's a good thing for all the people that got it.

Just wanted to ditto this, I also got the email and then an interview invite approximately a week or so after that update email. But, I do admit, the update email was odd!

Anyone else get this?

Michael Istwan
Director of Admissions

Hrm. I just got this today. I'll have to go through this thread and see if all of you who got this message got invites already, and how long it was after receiving this message. If your mdapps isn't listed above, please feel free to share that info if you feel inclined. Thanks!

i got the message the same time as OP, no invite still...

i got the message the same time as OP, no invite still...

Hmmm. I see the OP and Sandlot got invites about 5 days or so after receiving that message. So it does seem variable. They did claim that they're giving out invites based on the strength of an application and completion date....

Overall, I'm going to take the email as good news. We might not get invites for awhile (if ever), but I think we've got a pretty good shot. Being favorably reviewed is still better than the alternative....

yup, got this exact email this morning. at first i was excited cause i thought it was an interview. then i read how it was not an interview, and it's basically a rejection worded nicely. oh well :(

yup, got this exact email this morning. at first i was excited cause i thought it was an interview. then i read how it was not an interview, and it's basically a rejection worded nicely. oh well :(

I didn't think it sounded like a rejection at all. And don't forget that several people who got that email also already got invites. Don't be worried! Be happy! :)

i'm pretty sure you are completely wrong about that being a rejection worded nicely. in fact, i'm with phoenix, it is a GOOD thing. while it may not guarantee an interview, i think that it places you on a much smaller list of applicants that are still in the running.

does anyone know how the interview experience is like over there? how much does the interview weigh?

Don't freak out about this letter. I was complete there in early September last year and got it too. Had an interview invite by early December, interviewed in late January, and was accepted a week later. This letter is just an UPDATE. There are still tons of applications that they have to process before they start scheduling interviews. Good luck to all of you.
what was the interview like? any tips?

I just got the same message as the OP.

I also got it this morning.

For all those wondering about the mysterious message. I think it is simply a movement into a better pool of applicants from which they will select people to interview. A bunch of people have gotten interviews shortly after getting the message. I don't know how many out of this pool get interviews, but think of it as a stepping stone toward an interview invite.

For all those wondering about the mysterious message. I think it is simply a movement into a better pool of applicants from which they will select people to interview. A bunch of people have gotten interviews shortly after getting the message. I don't know how many out of this pool get interviews, but think of it as a stepping stone toward an interview invite.

Sounds a lot like UVM's favorable applicant pool as well.

What worries me, though, is that according to the Rejection thread, not a single person on SDN has been rejected so far. So I'm not sure how excited to be about this message - it appears that everyone has received it.

What worries me, though, is that according to the Rejection thread, not a single person on SDN has been rejected so far. So I'm not sure how excited to be about this message - it appears that everyone has received it.

Regular interviews don't start until Oct. Maybe they don't send out rejections til later. I dunno though. All I know is I got that letter you guys are talking about when I applied about 2 months later, I got an email to interview.