update letter? letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iunci

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering, are most people sending in update letters of any sort? if so, how are you handling them. just writing a basic letter to the admissions office, maybe along with an official transcript?

also, has anybody even considered submitting a letter of intent anywhere yet? i figure that people won't send those out until april or so, just seeing what people's thoughts are on them.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, im going to highjack this thread and ask:

should all letters of interest, intent ect be addressed to the dean of the medical schools?? do i still address it to the admissions office or to the dean directly? :confused:

I submitted a few letters of interest to some of the schools I was waiting on. I did recieve an interview at one of the schools, Georgetown, but I do not know if this was because of the letter or they were planning on interviewing me. I called each of the schools and asked whether it would be ok for me to submit a letter of interest/update letter. I then looked on the website to see who the dean of admissions was. I decided I would rather send the letter to the dean of admissions rather than the admissions committee, bc if its sent to the committee it gets added to your file, but nobody may see it until its too late. If you send it to the dean, he may or may not look at it, and it still gets added to your file, so there you have a chance of actually someone seeing it. Mine was structured of what I did this past summer, what I will be doing before matriculation (I graduated and am taking a year off), how that ties into my interest in the school, then wrote why the school is a great fit for me, and then I ended it with asking them to consider me for an interview. I wrote it as a professional letter. If you have any quesitons, let me know,

Also wends, I believe everything you sent in gets added to your admissions file, so I personally chose not to address it to the admissions committee also

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks mango! i'll def address it to the dean then..........i already sent in some letters not addressed to the dean, but alas, you live and learn

good luck and tell me if you hear back.......im not banking on these, but im hoping someone will notice it and just might take a second look at my file....... :luck:

I actually sent two one to the assistant director of admissions and one to the chair of the admissions committee. So we'll see if it helps. BTW both letters were the same just addressed to different individuals.

iunci said:
just wondering, are most people sending in update letters of any sort? if so, how are you handling them. just writing a basic letter to the admissions office, maybe along with an official transcript?

also, has anybody even considered submitting a letter of intent anywhere yet? i figure that people won't send those out until april or so, just seeing what people's thoughts are on them.

thanks!

If I were you, I'd give them a phone call. Written letters are worthless.

OSUdoc08 said:
If I were you, I'd give them a phone call. Written letters are worthless.

directly call the dean of admin? Has anyone else done this? Is it ok once you've already applied? Are written letters useless?