Update letter + Letter of interest Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTFO24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never written an update letter so I am still a bit misinformed as to what is relevant and what is fluff. I Was wondering if I could get some SDNers to possibly look over my update letter and help me out.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have never written an update letter so I am still a bit misinformed as to what is relevant and what is fluff. I Was wondering if I could get some SDNers to possibly look over my update letter and help me out.

Thanks!
Short, sweet, and to-the-point. I wrote an update letter to schools a couple months ago about a publication, and I'm not kidding when I said something along the lines of "Dear Admissions, as of [insert date], I am a co-author on a manuscript titled [insert title] published in [insert journal]. I hope this will assist in your decision-making process. Bye."

If you're also adding in a letter of interest, you're going to want to connect whatever you're talking about to aspects about the school that appeal and resonate with you. Still keep the whole thing less than a page, though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Agreed- if you are just sending an update letter, then keep it short. If you want to do an update letter + LOI, then you would begin the email with the update, and then say something along the lines of "I hope this will assist in your decision making process, I really hope to attend your school, here are the reasons why." (Obviously make it a little bit more formal than that).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user