Update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyRabbit

Lifetime Donor
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we considered late enough in the cycle that I should begin writing an update letter or letter of interest to schools I want to attend? I have seen lots of conflicting information about this, especially regarding pre-II letters of interests. Also is there a difference between interest letters and update letters (what if we want to do both in one, is this advisable?)

I was fortunate to receive several interviews this cycle, so I shouldn't have any red flags in my application, but I'm not hearing back from schools that I would consider a match and ones that I should be competitive for. Is it still too early, even as we head into November, to not consider a letter of interest or update letter? I've noticed that most schools are at about 50% of total interviews sent out (or maybe more?).

I have a manuscript submitted to a high IF journal, but it hasn't been accepted yet. Should I wait for this to be accepted in the next 2-3 months before submitting the update letter? Would delaying the update to December/January cause me to miss the interview window and make it useless? Just looking for overall guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are we considered late enough in the cycle that I should begin writing an update letter or letter of interest to schools I want to attend? I have seen lots of conflicting information about this, especially regarding pre-II letters of interests. Also is there a difference between interest letters and update letters (what if we want to do both in one, is this advisable?)

I was fortunate to receive several interviews this cycle, so I shouldn't have any red flags in my application, but I'm not hearing back from schools that I would consider a match and ones that I should be competitive for. Is it still too early, even as we head into November, to not consider a letter of interest or update letter? I've noticed that most schools are at about 50% of total interviews sent out (or maybe more?).

I have a manuscript submitted to a high IF journal, but it hasn't been accepted yet. Should I wait for this to be accepted in the next 2-3 months before submitting the update letter? Would delaying the update to December/January cause me to miss the interview window and make it useless? Just looking for overall guidance.
My understanding is that letters of interest pre-II are pretty worthless. LOIs may become a bit more important if you are waitlisted, particularly near the end of Spring. As for updates, I think it depends on the school. Certain schools may strongly encourage update letters post II (like creighton) and others only for big awards or pubs (like Stanford).

The difference between the two i think depends mainly on the time frame. A letter of interest or intent would be when you're on the waitlist or trying to get the school to reconsider you. Update letter is more nebulous in which they have not yet made a decision. It would probably contain a more neutral and objective wording of your updated activities. An LOI would probably have some updated info but also the reaffirmed interest. So i suppose you could combine the two for the update letter (not sure whether it would have much of an impact tho).

I personally think you should wait until the pub is accepted, but cannot answer whether that would impact your chances or not.

Are we considered late enough in the cycle that I should begin writing an update letter or letter of interest to schools I want to attend? I have seen lots of conflicting information about this, especially regarding pre-II letters of interests.
Timing and audience matters so that's why the information is conflicting. If a school tells you they don't want updates, then the issue is moot. If a school is finishing up interviews early, then those with the most complete applications will likely have been advantaged as updates might not be looked in time (but that's not universal). Letters of interest before interview don't really matter as long as you submit your secondary app fee.

That said, if psychologically you feel better by sending in a letter, risking any thoughts that you might somehow upset an admissions committee, do whatever comes naturally to you. If you are doing this before an II, don't believe your letter would help you (it usually doesn't). If you get an II, great, but correlation is not causation. In a way, what do you have to lose?

Do adcoms remember how desperate you were to send a pre-II update from a previous cycle? Ha... again depends on the school and who's on the committee.

However, I would focus on the interviews you have and the comms you would want to write after those interviews, whether the result is A, WL, or R.

I agree, context matters. Letters of interest are essentially worthless and just make you look desperate, but if you have an update worth giving it could be useful.

That said, submitting a journal to a high IF journal by itself isn't worth much. Save the update for the acceptance.