Update letters vs submitting updates via the portal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MotherofDucks

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was finishing my AMCAS application and secondaries I did not have a job for the gap year because the lab I was set up to work in had their funding cut. Now I have recently started a new full time position about a month ago. When I asked m pre-med advising office they gave me this generic answer that update letter aren't sent until January. So my questions:

1. Is there any difference between sending an update letter versus submitting an update through the portal system to those schools that have that option?

2. Should I be sending an update to inform these schools I have started a full time position over my gap year or should I wait?

Thanks for the help guys!