Update MCAT Score with AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thzone1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already took the MCAT (got a 29), and am planning on submitting my AMCAS application and retaking the test in August/September. I was wondering if mentioning that I am retaking the test (checking the box) in AMCAS app would actually be detrimental, b/c then schools might wait to send me secondaries until they see my 2nd score?

I pulled this from the MIT career website

"For applicants who plan to take the MCAT for the first time or are retaking the exam during the application process, the following is the exact question as stated on the AMCAS.
"Have you taken, or do you plan to take the MCAT in calendar year 2007 from May to September?"

If the applicant answers "yes" he/she will be brought to the next screen where they will identify the date in which they plan to take the test from a pull down menu with the dates pre-populated.

It is very important to note that the applicant can and should change their answer at ANY time throughout the application year including applications that have already been processed. Typically, medical schools will use this information to decipher when they should start reviewing the application with the MCAT scores."

What do you guys advise?

Members don't see this ad.

I have gotten secondaries from 3 schools already, 2 of which screen applicants. Mainly because my previous MCAT makes their screening requirements. I would call each school and find out if they give out secondaries before you take your next MCAT.

Not just secondaries though. I do hear that schools will withhold interviews until they see your 2nd MCAT score if they know you signed up again. I wonder if this is true.

Plus I guess it would be wrong to sign up to retake it and not say so in your AMCAS too.

Members don't see this ad :)
does the aamc release mcat scores to all the schools listed on our amcas primaries even if it has already been verified and sent?

Not just secondaries though. I do hear that schools will withhold interviews until they see your 2nd MCAT score if they know you signed up again. I wonder if this is true.

Plus I guess it would be wrong to sign up to retake it and not say so in your AMCAS too.

Obviously you have to have your file complete before your file can be reviewed. That is what you have to decide. You will get your scores in october if you take the MCAT in september. So you may get an interview october or november if everything is complete.