Update on school that brought up religion during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school that I posted about that brought up religion called and they want to do a third interview. As I live in Kenya they will do it over the phone. As of yet I did not send them a letter telling the dean about the incident. I wanted to see what would happen.

I have two other firm offers if this does not go through. I want to see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

The school that I posted about that brought up religion called and they want to do a third interview. As I live in Kenya they will do it over the phone. As of yet I did not send them a letter telling the dean about the incident. I wanted to see what would happen.

I have two other firm offers if this does not go through. I want to see what happens.

Himm. Are they giving you the interview because of the interview fiasco or what? Did they know they were out of line?

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact you live in Kenya is probably the coolest thing you said-- it'd be so neat to live in Africa and get a chance to immerse yourself in a culture so very different from America? So are you African? Or an American that lives in Africa? Did you fly over the Atlantic for the interview?

Either way-- I fully support you sending the dean a letter about the incident, but I recommend you do it sooner than later. G'luck.

I wonder....

Me, too! I'm thinking that the OP was not the only person who had this experience and another applicant might have reported it right away. It sounds promising!

Nope, I'm Texan all the way. I just live there. I filled out my application after riding my bike 23K over rough, hilly roads to the cyber. Got some interviews and flew over to interview. Spent two weeks on the road.

3.5 of the interviews went great except for the 0.5 guy. Living in the bush with very little gives you a good perspective of how medicine ought to be but isn't.

After the interview they did have us fill out comment cards concernig our interviews. I did not get specific other than the guy's crude language but I did tell them I thought the guy did not conduct himself very professionally.

I would write a letter to the dean and let him know what happened. Be respectful when you voice your concerns. The religion of any applicant should not be factor in their interview in any way, shape or form.

That was grossly unethical.

Reaton are you in Kenya to do some altitude training?

I would write a letter to the dean and let him know what happened. Be respectful when you voice your concerns. The religion of any applicant should not be factor in their interview in any way, shape or form.

That was grossly unethical.

A number of religions have central ideas that directly contradict the things doctors need to do. It should most definatly be a topic brought up, but probably not in the way the OPs supposedly did.

Anyway, you had a bad interview. It happens. Just go to one of the other schools that accepted you, move on.

No altitude training althought I do live at the base of a mountain and I have to ride my Trek over some steep rough roads to get to the nearest town.

It may be altitude training but it is not on purpose - it's because I have to to get where I want to go.

I live in a small village at a hospital compound in western Kenya along the Uganda/Kenya border. The mountains to the west of me is Uganda.

Many displaced people live up the mountain from me. They have been run from their homes by other tribes taking their land. Most have seen a family member killed or maimed. They are very kind and sweet people although they have nothing at all, and I mean nothing.

A number of religions have central ideas that directly contradict the things doctors need to do. It should most definatly be a topic brought up, but probably not in the way the OPs supposedly did.

Anyway, you had a bad interview. It happens. Just go to one of the other schools that accepted you, move on.

except it's against the law to discriminate based on religious stance, and therefore not appropriate for interview. Duh.

That sounds like a great experience. Plus, you will be in great shape when you get back to the states. Take advantage of that increased hematocrit and do a century ride or something when you return.