Update on sheltermed's dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She's wondering why I can't feed her more than I've been feeding her...

15800929_1209870705771135_1595807916_n.jpg

She always makes this face, just looks more sad now :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
These sad pictures make me so happy. I'm so glad you have her home again. :biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a picture. It's really not graphic or gross but may upset people anyway so I put it in the spoiler button thing

73cl8l.jpg
Even in this pic you can tell she's really cute. I bet she is thrilled to be with you again and I hope she has a quick recovery :)

I just want to thank everyone for all the support. Not just with my dog, but with everything I've ever brought up on the forum, and especially (obviously) vet school things! I'm not going to vet school this fall, but seeing so many people on this forum go through the same situation and come out successful has been so inspiring and partly the reason why I'm not going to give up on my dream. This is what I was meant to do and it will happen eventually, no matter what!

15870986_1215396291885243_586105646_n.jpg

Gail is back to her regular feeding schedule. She's still really skinny, but hoping she will put on more weight ASAP!

Thanks again, everyone :) <3

Reactions: 30 users
I just want to thank everyone for all the support. Not just with my dog, but with everything I've ever brought up on the forum, and especially (obviously) vet school things! I'm not going to vet school this fall, but seeing so many people on this forum go through the same situation and come out successful has been so inspiring and partly the reason why I'm not going to give up on my dream. This is what I was meant to do and it will happen eventually, no matter what!

15870986_1215396291885243_586105646_n.jpg

Gail is back to her regular feeding schedule. She's still really skinny, but hoping she will put on more weight ASAP!

Thanks again, everyone :) <3

Go @sheltermed! You got this next cycle! We love you and support you, and we are all here for you! I'm so very happy you got your pup back too. Let me know if you need any help with your personal statement and such, I know you will succeed!

Reactions: 5 users
OMG how did I not see this before?? I'm so glad you found her, sheltermed! That's amazing! All the best wishes for her quick recovery! As for getting into vet school in the next cycle... you got this. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Photo's of said pupper Gail on National Puppy Day are more than welcome, also. :D

I stalked sheltermed on fb and she posted a video of Gail recently and it was super cute and she looks great. Shhh this isn't supposed to be creepy but I thought I'd post.

:p

Reactions: 12 users
I stalked sheltermed on fb and she posted a video of Gail recently and it was super cute and she looks great. Shhh this isn't supposed to be creepy but I thought I'd post.

Oh you're just as bad as @cdoconn

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of love how I have my own thread so that I can announce my presence/give updates :p

Hey @sheltermed , I've been thinking about you. How's Gail doing?

I feel bad for being MIA! Did you get all of your admissions decisions?

Gail is doing really well, back to her normal weight. Some GI issues that come and go, but nothing terrible.

It seems I will be getting a 2-year government position doing something animal-related (I haven't gotten an official offer of employment yet, but I was notified that I was submitted as the top candidate for the job, and that I just need to be approved by this final department / I also don't know how much I'm "allowed" to share), so I likely won't be reapplying this cycle, rather during the next. This job will involve doing something totally unique, the first of its kind in the US! Hopefully will be able to share more soon, but it should earn me some really great connections in the veterinary/animal world that I'm really excited about.

if you'd like to add me on FB please feel free! I have essentially no friends (ones that I talk to, anyway), and would be happy to hear from you (and anyone else who may have found me on there)! I am quite the lonely person most of the time.

I recently got dumped (yes, again!) and finals are coming up (graduating this semester, finally) so I'm a bit sad/overwhelmed/not really functioning properly. Any friends are very, very much appreciated!

ZI3dZEN.jpg

LHUW71w.jpg

I got a tattoo last month, this is my kitty Sami who died back in September. She used to be my avatar (before I got all my rejections and changed it to "this is fine," lol), in case anyone remembers!

Reactions: 12 users
I kind of love how I have my own thread so that I can announce my presence/give updates :p

Gail is doing really well, back to her normal weight. Some GI issues that come and go, but nothing terrible.

It seems I will be getting a 2-year government position doing something animal-related (I haven't gotten an official offer of employment yet, but I was notified that I was submitted as the top candidate for the job, and that I just need to be approved by this final department / I also don't know how much I'm "allowed" to share), so I likely won't be reapplying this cycle, rather during the next. This job will involve doing something totally unique, the first of its kind in the US! Hopefully will be able to share more soon, but it should earn me some really great connections in the veterinary/animal world that I'm really excited about.

if you'd like to add me on FB please feel free! I have essentially no friends (ones that I talk to, anyway), and would be happy to hear from you (and anyone else who may have found me on there)! I am quite the lonely person most of the time.

I recently got dumped (yes, again!) and finals are coming up (graduating this semester, finally) so I'm a bit sad/overwhelmed/not really functioning properly. Any friends are very, very much appreciated!

ZI3dZEN.jpg

LHUW71w.jpg

I got a tattoo last month, this is my kitty Sami who died back in September. She used to be my avatar (before I got all my rejections and changed it to "this is fine," lol), in case anyone remembers!

Hey @sheltermed glad you stopped in and said hi!!!!

ZI3dZEN.jpg

LHUW71w.jpg

Yay Gail! I'm glad things are turning out well for you!!!! :D

And yes! I was accepted to Oklahoma State which is wonderful!!

ZI3dZEN.jpg

LHUW71w.jpg

Hi sheltermed!!!!! I'm glad Gail is doing well!!!!!:love::biglove:

Yay Gail! I'm glad things are turning out well for you!!!! :D

And yes! I was accepted to Oklahoma State which is wonderful!!

Thank you and congratulations!! That's amazing! I might be making this up, but isn't that your in-state as well?

Thank you and congratulations!! That's amazing! I might be making this up, but isn't that your in-state as well?
It's actually not! Texas is my IS! So I was accepted OOS! (Couldn't apply to Texas because I didn't have psychology). I have been attending undergrad here at OkState, but I can't establish residency unless I marry an Okie.

*glances around stalkerly*

Reactions: 3 users
It's actually not! Texas is my IS! So I was accepted OOS! (Couldn't apply to Texas because I didn't have psychology). I have been attending undergrad here at OkState, but I can't establish residency unless I marry an Okie.

*glances around stalkerly*

That's where I got it from! I knew you had something to do with Oklahoma :p

ZI3dZEN.jpg

LHUW71w.jpg

1. CONGRATS on your (hopefully soon to be) new job!!!
2. GAIL LOOKS AMAZING!
3. That tattoo is RAD AF. What a sweet reminder of your Sami.

:love::love::love:

It's just about the 2 year anniversary of Gail going missing so I looked for this thread and I'm in tears at the outpouring of support from you guys. You all have been such a rock for me over the past few years, whether it be veterinary school-related or personal. I'm so grateful for the friends I've made here and now that I'm starting to interview (hopefully at more than one school--TBD!) I know everyone will continue to be such a great support to me through the process and (hopefully) through vet school. I love you guys so much, and I think I speak for many of us when I say that this forum has truly changed my life and I'm excited to see what else is in store for us all ♥♥♥

Gail being the snugglebug that she is (is there a way to make pics smaller? jeez)--

Bki76zE.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
It's just about the 2 year anniversary of Gail going missing so I looked for this thread and I'm in tears at the outpouring of support from you guys. You all have been such a rock for me over the past few years, whether it be veterinary school-related or personal. I'm so grateful for the friends I've made here and now that I'm starting to interview (hopefully at more than one school--TBD!) I know everyone will continue to be such a great support to me through the process and (hopefully) through vet school. I love you guys so much, and I think I speak for many of us when I say that this forum has truly changed my life and I'm excited to see what else is in store for us all ♥♥♥

Gail being the snugglebug that she is (is there a way to make pics smaller? jeez)--

Bki76zE.jpg

This made my life so happy today

EDIT: Just realized this happened 2 years ago LOL but nonetheless I'm glad she made it back home safe and sound.
Sometimes you just never know. A dog in my borough was recently found after being lost since August.
Looking at that picture, I'm kind of shocked what even just 2 weeks of being on the run can do to a dogs physical condition.

hi friends

hope you all are well

it is with a heavy heart that I inform you this idiot has once again gone missing, been gone since Wednesday morning after my mom wasn't watching and let her slip out of the front door. this is my only friend in the whole wide world so it's been hard. I know you are all animal people and will get it. so I figured I'd drop by.

in other news, I am trying to find a job and move to Michigan by the end of the summer. hopefully I can locate my creature prior to this chain of events.

• Sad
hi friends

hope you all are well

it is with a heavy heart that I inform you this idiot has once again gone missing, been gone since Wednesday morning after my mom wasn't watching and let her slip out of the front door. this is my only friend in the whole wide world so it's been hard. I know you are all animal people and will get it. so I figured I'd drop by.

in other news, I am trying to find a job and move to Michigan by the end of the summer. hopefully I can locate my creature prior to this chain of events.
@sheltermed ... hope you find your sweet dog really soon. :(

Sending good thoughts to you! :)

hi friends

hope you all are well

No! I’m so sorry, @sheltermed! Crossing all of my appendages that you can track her down before your big move.

She's home after 6 long days.... thanks for the well wishes <3

Hopefully this is the last time I have to post this, but somehow I doubt it :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

Hopefully this is the last time I have to post this, but somehow I doubt it :laugh:
Yay!!!! That’s awesome. Hopefully she doesn’t get out again. But sounds like she has a habit of coming back.

I haven't read all the thread or anything but if you've had your dog get loose and think it may happen again, have you considered a GPS collar or something similar? Could be a good option!
I keep tiles on my animals usually (after I spent the worst 24 hours of my life when Ziggy went missing and I also missed my own graduation party). These wouldn't be super helpful if you aren't close to the animal though. I think there are a number of different ones on the market. Maybe someone else could recommend one :)

Here's some pet trackers reviewed for privacy by Mozilla:

(Doesn't Gail have like 2 GPS collars but can't tolerate them? Or am I thinking of someone else's puppers....)

A small Tile's not a bad idea since they're so tiny and lightweight. I've never owned a Tile but I ran the Tile app on iPhone 24/7 as a good deed to humanity or something (or surveillance lol).

Edit: Honestly because of battery life and bulk, I dunno if any of the GPS trackers are really ideal options. They're more PRN stuff for going on hikes but not something if the dog escapes the yard and skips town without the owner's knowledge or consent. There's probably a huge market for lightweight tracking collars though.

Last edited:
Here's some pet trackers reviewed for privacy by Mozilla:

(Doesn't Gail have like 2 GPS collars but can't tolerate them? Or am I thinking of someone else's puppers....)

A small Tile's not a bad idea since they're so tiny and lightweight. I've never owned a Tile but I ran the Tile app on iPhone 24/7 as a good deed to humanity or something (or surveillance lol).

Edit: Honestly because of battery life and bulk, I dunno if any of the GPS trackers are really ideal options. They're more PRN stuff for going on hikes but not something if the dog escapes the yard and skips town without the owner's knowledge or consent. There's probably a huge market for lightweight tracking collars though.
Those GPS attachments really aren't that big, and a dog Gail's size probably wouldn't notice the extra weight. I know someone who has one on a mini poodle. They actually work better in town though, at least Whistle since it runs on sprint and you're more likely to have dead zones in the woods.

Those GPS attachments really aren't that big, and a dog Gail's size probably wouldn't notice the extra weight. I know someone who has one on a mini poodle. They actually work better in town though, at least Whistle since it runs on sprint and you're more likely to have dead zones in the woods.
What's the battery life? Like is it something you have to charge every couple days? I'd forget haha. Make it solar + drool powered.

I think Gail is experiencing spay incontinence. She's has peed on the couch in the past without my noticing (as in, I didn't see her deliberately squat down to pee), and I didn't put it together until yesterday, when I was sitting next to her and felt urine drop onto my leg while she was sleeping. Not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has experience with it?

I had a friend who's older dog started having what we called "sleep incontinence"; it seemed to happen only when she was sleeping. But, she was an 11 year old lab. She just put the "diaper" on her at night (the kind you get for when they are in heat) and it worked just fine. She was spayed, but again, she was an older dog when the problem started, and several years (like 10) from her spay.

I think Gail is experiencing spay incontinence. She's has peed on the couch in the past without my noticing (as in, I didn't see her deliberately squat down to pee), and I didn't put it together until yesterday, when I was sitting next to her and felt urine drop onto my leg while she was sleeping. Not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has experience with it?

This exact thing happened to my 6 year old Lab recently. It was a UTI and it was resolved after a course of antibiotics. Definitely worth making a vet appointment :)

Hey, If you are looking for a clinic job you should check out any Vetcor hospitals in Michigan (I think there are 2 of them). I worked for the VP of the company, and he told me that their hospitals in Michigan were probably looking for new hires.

EDIT: there are way more than two in Michigan haha ( Our Practices )

Hey, If you are looking for a clinic job you should check out any Vetcor hospitals in Michigan (I think there are 2 of them). I worked for the VP of the company, and he told me that their hospitals in Michigan were probably looking for new hires.

EDIT: there are way more than two in Michigan haha ( Our Practices )

ooo nice, thanks. I'm actually hoping for a job at MSU, UM, or a private company doing research, but I will definitely check these out because I'm trying to secure a job and move ASAP. MSU and UM take their sweet time to respond to applications (understandably), so it may be several weeks to months til anything becomes of those applications. thanks again!

ooo nice, thanks. I'm actually hoping for a job at MSU, UM, or a private company doing research, but I will definitely check these out because I'm trying to secure a job and move ASAP. MSU and UM take their sweet time to respond to applications (understandably), so it may be several weeks to months til anything becomes of those applications. thanks again!

You're welcome! Are you reapplying to MSU this year?

You're welcome! Are you reapplying to MSU this year?

I think I'm going to wait a year and apply next cycle. I haven't asked for any letters of rec this cycle and I would prefer to apply only to MSU as part of the in-state applicant pool. :)

i'm already 1000 years old so whats another year! :laugh:

I think I'm going to wait a year and apply next cycle. I haven't asked for any letters of rec this cycle and I would prefer to apply only to MSU as part of the in-state applicant pool. :)

i'm already 1000 years old so whats another year! :laugh:

Yeah I don't blame you! It might be really nice to take a year to just work and enjoy life rather than go through the anxiety of another cycle right now. If you end up at MSU for work, let me know and maybe we can do a doggie play date or something! :)

Typically I do an exam, r/o UTI and try meds. I don’t like the idea of diapers.